Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prayers during times of need.

• 26-10-2010 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

I would just like to post a few prayers that I have been using over the past week. I am going through a great of pain and anxiety at the moment. I'm having great money worries and have been getting letters from solicitors,I lost my job in September after been 6 months unemployed before that. I have had 4 job interviews in the past few weeks, and today just recieved another rejection letter, but I'm still trying.

This week my boyfriend broke up wih me after a silly row and my heart is broken. I have pleaded with him to at least talk with me but he said no, so I have to respect that. I am praying that, if nothing else my boyfriend and I make up. He was my best friend before we got together and It's killing me that he will no longer speak to me. God willing we will able to sort this out.

(The 3 O' Clock Prayer)
    At three o' Clock I implore my mercy especially for sinners; and If only for a brief moment immerse yourself in my passion, particularly in my abondonment at the moment of agony. This is the moment of great mercy for the whole world. at this time I will refuse nothing to the soul that makes a request of me in virtue of my passion.

You expired, Jesus but the source of life gushed forth for the souls and an ocean of mercy, envelop the whole world and empty yourself out upon us.

O blood and water, which gushed forth from the heart of jesus as a fount of mercy for us, I trust in you. Amen.

I have also being saying novenas to Saint Jude, Saint Anthony and Saint Martin and praying to the virgin Mary for help with this. I can post these prayers if anyone would like.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭harperlee

I will also print the other prayers in thanksgiving and so you can read them and pass them on.

Prayer to St. Anthony:
    O holy St. Anthony, Gentlest of saints, your love for god and charity for his creatures, made you worthy, when on earth, to possess miraculous powers. Miracles waited on your every word, which you where ever ready to speak for those in trouble or anxiety. Encouraged by this thouht, I implore of you to obtain for me (REQUEST). The answer to my prayer may require a miracle, even so, you are the saint of miracles. O gentle and loving St. Anthony, whose heart was ever full of human sympathy, whisper my petition into the ears of the sweet infant Jesus, who loved to be folded in your arms; and the gratitude of my heart will be ever yours. AMEN.

Novena Prayer To St. Martin Porres:
    Most Humble St. Martin whose burning charity embraces all, but especially the sick, afflicted or in need, we turn to you for help in our present difficulties and we implore you to obtain for us from God health of soul and body and in particular the favour we now ask (REQUEST).

May we by imitating your charity and humility, find quiet and contentment all our days, and cheerful submission to God's holy will in the trials and difficulties of Life.

St. Martin, pray for us that we maybe worthy of the promise of Christ Amen. O God who Exalts the humble and who made St.Martin your confessor to enter into the heavenly kingdom, grant through his merits and intersession that we may so follow the example of his humility on earth as to deserve to be exalted with him in Heaven. through christ our Lord Amen.

Novena for St.Jude
    Jesus, I praise you and bless you and give you thanks for all the graces and privileges you have bestowed upon your chosen apostle St.Jude. (MAKE REQUEST NOW).
    Loving God, you revealed to St.Jude your desire to come to us, share your life with us. By your sprirt, open our hearts so that we may come to know your truth. By keeping your commandments may we know your abiding presence. We make this prayer through Christ our Lord, Amen.

Prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
    Oh most Sacred Heart Of Jesus I place all my trust in you.
    (say three times).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Harperlee, I ashamed to even call myself Catholic after witnessing the Hope and faith you have in Christ Jesus in your post.

Definitely the words of Christ ring true here when he says in the Gospel that when we put into practice his teachings others will see this and praise their Father in heaven. I'm certainly doing that now.

God bless and thank you for this thread of Hope.

Onesimus

Onesimus wrote: »
    Harperlee, I ashamed to even call myself Catholic after witnessing the Hope and faith you have in Christ Jesus in your post.

Definitely the words of Christ ring true here when he says in the Gospel that when we put into practice his teachings others will see this and praise their Father in heaven. I'm certainly doing that now.

God bless and thank you for this thread of Hope.

Onesimus

Thank you for your lovely reply. Things are very bad at the moment, my heart is broken. The only person who can help me now is God, to get through this difficult time. I just hope he hears my prayers to reconcile with my ex and answers them soon.

Hi,

Today is the feast of St.Jude, I just finished my novena to him today so I went to mass this morning to pray that he would help me reconcile with someone very special I lost after a row. After mass I went up to light a candle for him at his statue and I found this prayer,

St. Jude, come to my assistance in my need, that I may receive the consolations and help of heaven in all my necessities, particularly (here mention your request) and that I may praise God with you and the elect throughout eternity.
    I promise you, O blessed Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favour, and I will never cease to honor you as my special and powerful patron and do all in my power to encourage devotion to you. Amen

The Miracle Prayer Lord Jesus, I come before Thee, just as I am, I am sorry for my sins, I repent of my sins, please forgive me. In Thy Name, I forgive all others for what they have done against me. I renounce Satan, the evil spirits and all their works. I give Thee my entire self, Lord Jesus, I accept Thee as my Lord God and Savior. Heal me, change me, strengthen me in body, soul, and spirit.
    Come Lord Jesus, cover me with Thy Precious Blood, and fill me with Thy Holy Spirit, I love Thee Lord Jesus, I praise Thee Lord Jesus, I thank Thee Jesus, I shall follow Thee every day of my life. Amen.
    Mary, My Mother, Queen of Peace, all the Angels and Saints, please help me. Amen.

Say this prayer faithfully, no matter how you feel. When you come to the point where you sincerely mean each word with all your heart, Jesus will change your whole life in a very special way. You will see.

• Advertisement

Novena to help through tough times

Dear heart of Jesus in the past I have asked for many favours. This time I ask for this special one (mention here). Take it dear heart of Jesus and place it withinn your heart where your father sees it, then in his merciful eyes it will become your favour, not mine. Amen.

Say 3 times a day for 3 days and your favour will be granted, must promise Publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

God Bless you, I hope everything works out for you.. Take Care!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Sorry to be cynical but you have a lot of competition from people dying of terrible diseases, famine, war, innocents imprisoned. To help you, God is going to have to ignore those people and help get you a job.

Sounds like the lottery to me.

I got a job yesterday after a long time trying, thank God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

I thought that prayers during times of need don't work according to the "Rwanda" thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Are you just trolling? Or was their some hidden depth to your post?

I'm not trolling, I'm asking a question that relates to my thread. What's the point of praying during times of need if we have seen that it doesn't actually work, as in the case of the 1 million dead Rwandans? It is a predominantly Catholic country by the way, as ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

0verblood wrote: »
    I'm not trolling, I'm asking a question that relates to my thread.

There's your answer as to the appropriateness of your post.

I'm not trolling, I'm asking a question that relates to my thread.

The concept is simple. If your question relates to the subject matter of your thread you should ask it there.

moveoncooney.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Sorry to be cynical but you have a lot of competition from people dying of terrible diseases, famine, war, innocents imprisoned. To help you, God is going to have to ignore those people and help get you a job.

Sounds like the lottery to me.

Jesus tells us that not one sparrow falls to the ground without being noticed by God, and even the hairs of your head are counted. So if he pays attention to the little things you can be sure he has his eye on the ball with the bigger issues also. it is we who put limits on God with our small minds.

Jesus tells us that not one sparrow falls to the ground without being noticed by God, and even the hairs of your head are counted. So if he pays attention to the little things you can be sure he has his eye on the ball with the bigger issues also. it is we who put limits on God with our small minds.

And common sense tells us that the dead can't speak - so we don't hear how their prayers didn't work.

If a tornado comes the pious religious man who has done good all his life is just as likely to be killed as the murderous scum who has done nothing but bad. The only difference is that the religious man can find some genuine solace in his prayers regardless of the outcome.

Likin the gif FC :D

Okay so even if I go to the other thread I can't talk about this thread, so it's pointless.

Likin the gif FC :D

I've unearthed a virtual gifmine. So expect many amusing, semi-appropriate celebrity related gifs over the coming weeks and months.
    Okay so even if I go to the other thread I can't talk about this thread, so it's pointless.

You are allowed to talk about other threads. What I'm saying is that you aren't allowed to turn this thread into another version of the one you started.

And common sense tells us that the dead can't speak - so we don't hear how their prayers didn't work.

If a tornado comes the pious religious man who has done good all his life is just as likely to be killed as the murderous scum who has done nothing but bad. The only difference is that the religious man can find some genuine solace in his prayers regardless of the outcome.

What's wrong with being killed by a tornado? The manner of your death isn't to be interpreted as a reward or punishment. Seeing as death is merely the end of this life it is not something to be feared, it is quite a natural thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

harperlee wrote: »
    Novena to help through tough times

Dear heart of Jesus in the past I have asked for many favours. This time I ask for this special one (mention here). Take it dear heart of Jesus and place it withinn your heart where your father sees it, then in his merciful eyes it will become your favour, not mine. Amen.

Say 3 times a day for 3 days and your favour will be granted, must promise Publication.

I was doing this prayer for the last few days and today my special intention was granted. You cant beat the power of prayer

• Advertisement

What's wrong with being killed by a tornado? The manner of your death isn't to be interpreted as a reward or punishment. Seeing as death is merely the end of this life it is not something to be feared, it is quite a natural thing.

I really think you very much missed the point of my post.

When I was a child I used to believe in Santa and pray to Santa - sometimes my prayers were answered and sometimes they weren't.

You can pray to a magic rock and, if you believe in it enough, you'll actually be convinced that the magic rock has answered your prayers.

A woman in Ireland saying a prayer to get employment has just as much chance as her prayer being answered as a man whose entire family is dying of starvation in Africa. If prayers are answered then God is utterly unfair, random and almost sadistic

I don't want this to sound aggressive but can you not see my point here?? Praying and prayers are there for our own personal solace and hope - but to claim they actually work is really away with the fairies.

I really think you very much missed the point of my post.

When I was a child I used to believe in Santa and pray to Santa - sometimes my prayers were answered and sometimes they weren't.

You can pray to a magic rock and, if you believe in it enough, you'll actually be convinced that the magic rock has answered your prayers.

A woman in Ireland saying a prayer to get employment has just as much chance as her prayer being answered as a man whose entire family is dying of starvation in Africa. If prayers are answered then God is utterly unfair, random and almost sadistic

I don't want this to sound aggressive but can you not see my point here?? Praying and prayers are there for our own personal solace and hope - but to claim they actually work is really away with the fairies.

I see your point alright Johhny and would suggest you don't fully understand what is meant by 'prayer'. You are right in saying there's more to it than "gimme" sure enough. A great book on the subject for the serious student is "the interior castle" by St Terese of Avila. Before reading it you might want to read her autobiography which has remained on the best seller list in many languages each century since it was written (400 years ago).

URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=El_Castillo_Interior&action=edit&section=2"][COLOR=#0645ad]edit[/COLOR][/URL Overview:Seven Mansions or Dwelling Places

The Interior Castle is divided into seven mansions (also called dwelling places), each level describing a step to get closer to God. In her work, Teresa already assumed entrance into the first mansion by prayer and meditation.
    The first three mansions are considered to be ordinary prayer or active prayer. The first mansions begin with a soul's state of grace, but the souls are surrounded by sin and only starting to seek God's grace through humility in order to achieve perfection. The second mansions are also called the Mansions of the Practice of Prayer because the soul seeks to advance through the castle by daily thoughts of God, humble recognition of God's work in the soul and ultimately daily prayer. The third mansion are the Mansions of Exemplary Life characterized through divine grace a love for God that is so great that the soul has an aversion to both mortal and venial sin and a desire to do works of charitable service to man for the ultimate glory of God. The fourth through seventh mansions are considered to be mystical or contemplative prayer. The fourth mansions are a departure from the soul actively acquiring what it gains as God increases his role. The fifth mansions contain incipient Union in which the soul prepares itself to receive gifts from God. If the fifth mansions can be compared to a betrothal, the sixth mansions can be compared to lovers. The soul spends increasing amounts of time torn between favors from God and from outside afflictions. The soul achieves clarity in prayer and a spiritual marriage with God in the seventh mansions.
    She candidly reveals this interior journey as being inseparable from her love for Christ and that the highest mansions can only be gained by being in a state of grace through the Church sacraments, fervent devotion of the soul's will to Him, and humbly receiving a love so great it is beyond human capability or description. Through prayer and meditation the soul is placed in a quiet state to receive God's gifts of contemplation (or "consolations"), and Teresa notes that man's efforts cannot achieve this if it is not His divine will. In fact she humbly repeats that she is never worthy of these consolations but is always immensely grateful for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

You can consider this inthread warning your one and only free pass when it comes to trolling in this Forum. Please read the Charter, because if you repeat this kind of stuff you will be infracted.

I had been praying these prayers along with the Rosary for a few months to help solve a problem I've had and today it was answered.

Holy St. Anthony PRAY FOR US may the Sacred heart of Jesus be praised, adored and golrified and thanked throughout the whole world now and forever amen.
    Say 3 hail Marys, 1 our Father and 1 gloria.

Say 6 times a you will be and leave a copy in the church for 9 days and your prayers will be answered no matter how impossible it may seem, they may not be answered in the way you expected but you will be helped.

This Novena should be said on 9 Tuesdays in succession, each day a candle should be lit and a copy of the prayer left in the church to help another soul in distress and to include devotion to St Anthony.

If your prayer is granted before the 9 Tuesdays are up you must complete the Novena.

The feast of St. Anthony is on the 13th of June.

Holy St. Anthony PRAY FOR US may the Sacred heart of Jesus be praised, adored and golrified and thanked throughout the whole world now and forever amen.
    Say 3 hail Marys, 1 our Father and 1 gloria.

Say 6 times a you will be and leave a copy in the church for 9 days and your prayers will be answered no matter how impossible it may seem, they may not be answered in the way you expected but you will be helped.

This Novena should be said on 9 Tuesdays in succession, each day a candle should be lit and a copy of the prayer left in the church to help another soul in distress and to include devotion to St Anthony.

If your prayer is granted before the 9 Tuesdays are up you must complete the Novena.

The feast of St. Anthony is on the 13th of June.

Hi Harperlee, I think your faith is amazing dont get me wrong but...... these type of prayers tend to set people up for a great fall should their prayer not get answered. It is kind of a like a hocus pocus thing in which promises that God will answer a particular prayer and is unfair kind of thing to put upon God himself.

Dr.Scott hahn on EWTN spoke about its silliness too. It is an unfair thing to set up and not something condoned by the Church herself.

Do not let my post however prevent you from carrying on with your prayers. I ask you to pray for me too. I love Saint anthony of Padua, I even have his chaplet and books.

Onesimus

Onesimus wrote: »
    Hi Harperlee, I think your faith is amazing dont get me wrong but...... these type of prayers tend to set people up for a great fall should their prayer not get answered. It is kind of a like a hocus pocus thing in which promises that God will answer a particular prayer and is unfair kind of thing to put upon God himself.

Dr.Scott hahn on EWTN spoke about its silliness too. It is an unfair thing to set up and not something condoned by the Church herself.

Do not let my post however prevent you from carrying on with your prayers. I ask you to pray for me too. I love Saint anthony of Padua, I even have his chaplet and books.

Onesimus

Hi,
    I hear what you are saying. I myself have have had a pettion so dear to my heart not answered, I was praying my boyfriend would come back to me but after all my prayers something happened to confirm to me that he had no intension of coming back ever. It nearly killed me, I felt like my life was over. Instead of getting upset or feeling let down, I took a step back and looked at it as God telling me, no, he is not the one you are mean't to be with, I have someone else for you and you will meet him when the time is right. My heart is still broken but I have to believe God has a plan for me and my ex was just passing through my life. that's what faith is and without it we would have no hope for the future.

Hi,
    I hear what you are saying. I myself have have had a pettion so dear to my heart not answered, I was praying my boyfriend would come back to me but after all my prayers something happened to confirm to me that he had no intension of coming back ever. It nearly killed me, I felt like my life was over. Instead of getting upset or feeling let down, I took a step back and looked at it as God telling me, no, he is not the one you are mean't to be with, I have someone else for you and you will meet him when the time is right. My heart is still broken but I have to believe God has a plan for me and my ex was just passing through my life. that's what faith is and without it we would have no hope for the future.

Discerning Gods will can be difficult indeed. You have a better faith than I could ever have. and I mean that sincerely.

May the Lord Jesus and his Blessed Mother protect you always.

Onesimus

p.s I love your posts. they are a breath of fresh air in this forum of absolutely argumentative garbage. *thumbs up*

Advertisement