Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AECI pulling out of rea

Options
  • 26-10-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

the word on the grapevine is aeci have ask there members if the still want to take part in the current registered employment agreement and result was to leave
    any contractors on here in the aeci any truth to any of this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

"Dear Members,

Again many thanks who have responded to the Ballot Paper on the REA and we urge those who have not responded yet to do so as soon as possible, not later than tomorrow Friday 8th October 2010.

This is a very important matter and can have a major effect on our Electrical Contracting Industry.

Please see attached the Ballot Paper."

They are balloting at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BeardyDevoy

I understand that in excess of 90% of AECI members voted to get out of the current REA. The union and the Labour Court have been informed. It will be interesting to see what happens now as only the 40 ECA employer members are now supporting the agreement. It is clear to any thinking person that the agreement is now unworkable as in excess of 4000 employers do not support it.

The collapse of this agreement was almost inevitable because of the "what we have we hold" http://www.teeu.ie/news/showtest.asp?id=293 attitude of the TEEU and also their unwillingness to engage with the new employer parties currently outside the agreement.

Empolyers who are strictly adhering to terms of REA are not able to compete for the little amount of work thats out there. This agreement has to collapse for the sake of the good employers who did comply. The employers who never complied will be the only ones left and as the agreement was never enforced across the entire industry it was a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

i agree that the aggrement has become pretty unworkable at the moment but i wouldnt like to see a free for all in the industry

as for the reply from the person how wont use his propper name and only registered berdy devoy today you input isnt much use and is only hear say

Yes it is suspicious when a new member starts posting on an issue as heated and tricky as the pay and conditions of electricians balanced with the requirements and demands of employers. Especially with quotes from a union website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Especially when his username is in reference to Eamonn Devoy of the TEEU who sports a beard.

In the NECI mister Beardy? If you decided to join a employers body not party to the negotiations on the REA thats your mistake,there are 2 others you could have joined who are party to them.As for the NECI being "outside" the agreement,you are not,it applies to your members too.You also understand it wrong since it was posted above that the AECI ballot is still ongoing so how anybody can be informed of its outcome is beyond me.One final point,4000 contractors does not equal 4000 employers,as was pointed out to the NECI in the high court.

As I see it the AECI can vote on whatever they like,it makes no odds as they have to obey the REA unless the High Court or Labour court quash it,which so far has not happened

I would also disagree that the agreement has to collapse.I currently work for an employer who happily pays the rate despite scrapping for and succeeding in getting work in these trying times.It can be done.

Be re negotiated definitely,collapse,definitely not.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I served my time as an electrician in the industrial sector a long time ago. I did this because I thought it was good money and it seemed liked interesting work carried out by skilled professionals. At the time every electrician I knew was employed directly by the electrical contractor and they were all paid the rate. Naively I thought this is the way it always would be....

Now, more than 20 years later many of the electricians I see are less interested and less skilled in their job because they are generally self employed and badly paid. They have no pension, sick pay or holiday entitlements.

Sad to see :(

I don't think that there will be any winners out of this because it has become a race to the bottom with standards dropping all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

In the NECI mister Beardy?

without a doubt its Mr box of screws on "cribbing" bit like garret brooks song standing outside the fire

anyways the votes are in from the ballot but did the aeci go to the njic with the results yet

as a ex member of the aeci it near impossible to find out what happens on this subject and the aeci has to be one of the worst associations at keeping there members informed on whats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Once again we have gone outside the scope of this forum. This is not exclusively an electrician’s forum. There is a good deal of advice available on boards for a whole range of issues. This forum is where people discuss electrical installations, either regular users looking for advice or electricians discussing best practice.

This is not the correct forum to discuss union or pay rate issues. I have made this point a number of times now. I understand that people want to discuss these issues, but there are better forums to do that. In many ways this forum is limited by its readership and input anyway, you could get better advice elsewhere.

I will have to take action on the next account that brings up an issue that is listed in the forum charter as not up for discussion. I hope you understand that my aim here is to protect the forum, these are difficult times for most people, however I have to watch the encroachment of these issue into this forum, remember is was born in the DIY forum.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement