Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coin value 1556 Regina elizabeth

• 26-10-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Not having much luck finding how much this is worth
    it has a shield on one side with 3 lions 3 birds not sure what the rest is
    its dated 1556 and it says regina elizabeth on it
    anybody know how i could go about finding out ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

A picture of both sides would be helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 skippergonzo

The u shape on one side is proud and i think it may not be part of the actual coin ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

The u shape on one side is proud and i think it may not be part of the actual coin ...

That part might have been worn down and had that U struck over it as some sort of countermark. In which case it's hard to tell what it is with the original image gone. I'm stumped sorry, I've not seen anything like that before, the design on the back is common on different types of coins so hard to tell which one it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 skippergonzo

Cheers anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 akeady

The date is likely 1566, making it an Elizabeth I coin, probably a sixpence (what is the weight?). The mintmark on the obverse (at about 9 o'clock in your photo') looks like a worn portcullis, which would be correct for 1566.

That C shape might be a lump of solder used to attach it to something (as jewellery?) so that the reverse was displayed.

As to value - I got a 1594 sixpence for €13.50 a few months ago - maybe more worn than yours and some graffiti on the reverse, but a clear date and recognisable bust - so something in that ballpark would be my estimate.

ATB,
    A.

• Advertisement
Advertisement