If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying Panasonic Flat Panel and Yamaha Audio Bar

• 26-10-2010 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, I'm thinking of buying the Panasonic TX-L32D25B and the Yamaha YHTS400 for sound; I'd like to know whether I'm wise to go for these two.

I did look at the Panasonic TX-L32S20B but when I saw it on display in a shop in Dublin and I wasn't so impressed with it's scanning; with footage from camera panning quickly across buildings and fast action of guy running - there seemed to be a strobing effect instead of smooth movement. Could this be that the shop in Dublin did not set up the TV properly?
    ...if so I'd rather not splash out too much on a slight difference!
    ...also, I haven't seen the D25B in action, is there much difference?

I work in the Film & TV industry so my eyes tend to notice a lot of faults ..so I'd consider myself a fussy customer!

The reason why I prefer Panasonic is that I have a good DVD recorder by them (DMR-EX77) and think that it would link up well (viewing SD DVDs & TV) - is this so?

I like the idea of the Yamaha sound bar as I don't want speakers and wires everywhere! ...I also read that the Panasonic TV's here don't have great sound quality.

What deal or advice could you offer me for what I need?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Siabod

Just bumping this message to get an availability and price.

Would you stock them in Belfast?
    What price for both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Siabod.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The Panasonic that you have mentioned isn't one that we currently carry, but one that we can order in, if that's the one that you are set on. It's currently priced at £649.95 but I personally don't feel that it's the best value for money around out there.

I would say that the LED is better than the S20 although the strobing effect that you witnessed on the S20 is something that you will notice unless you go for a particularly good screen.

Two TV's that I would recommend as alternatives to the Panasonic :

Philips 32PFL8605. - Probably one of the most impressive screens I've seen with motion handling. Seriously stylish and loaded with features, but it's the picture quality that is outstanding. Currently priced at £799.95

The other option would be the Samsung UE336620. Again this I could consider to be better value for money than the Pana, not in the same league at the Philips but an ecxellent TV none the less. This is currently £699.95 and a well worth a look. (you'll note the price on the UK site is £599). This includes a £100 cashback from Samsung but you have to have a UK address & bank account as they actually send out a cheque for £100.

I hope this helps, but out of all of the models that you have mentioned I would have to recommend the Philips as it's just simply stunning.

We also offer our 5 year warranty at just 10% price of the cost of the TV.

I hope this helps, but please let me know as I can get any of these TV's for you.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave,
    that's interesting because I actually saw a Phillips next to the Panasonic and saw that the Phillips was exceptionally smooth - although I noticed on the edges of the screen this smoothing effect was filtering out and produced a bit of a messy ridge to the picture's frame - is this just a 'pay-off' for the smoothing? - I guess it probably wont be noticeable 95% of the time with slower moving footage though, any comments?

Would you suggest then, that if I did opt for the Phillips I wouldn't have to consider buying the Yamaha soundbar? ...i.e. is the sound on the Philips as good as it's picture?

Thanks

Hi Siabod.

Yes, I would tend to agree that it is a bit of a payoff, but it also quite source dependant. If you are feeding it a good source, you won't notice it nearly as much and I don't feel it detracts from the viewing.

The sound on the Philips screens is very good, but it's hard to get the same sound from a flat panel TV that's produced by the sound bars and home cinema systems.

Even though the sound from the Philips is good, I would still recommend the soundbar for that added punch and depth.

I hope this helps, but if I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave, Thanks for your reply.
    My thoughts are that the Philips 32PFL8605 is a tad too expensive for my budget, although it's tempting - I have to be realistic.

I've seen the Philips 32PFL7605 is on your UK site.

What would be the difference between these two TVs?
    ... for the price difference - what's the pay-off/value? ... and compared to my original thought of the Panasonic.
    How much in Euro would you offer it for?

Regards

• Advertisement

Hi Siabod.

The 32PFL7605 on the UK site is last few to clear as the UK guys are not continuing to stock that particular model.

The Philips Shop currently do stock it and it's 799 Euro.

The main differences are that the 8 series is 200Hz compared to 100Hz on the 7 series and the 8 series uses the Perfect pixel engine instead of the Pixel precise engine.

The 8000 is 3D compatible and operates on less power and has 17 bit colour processing instead of 14 bit, so the colours are better on the 8 series.

The styling is totally different on the 8 series with the seemless front glass.

Let me know what you think, but I think the 8 series is well worth the extra.

Regards

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.