Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment Contract

Options
  • 26-10-2010 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I have been working for a small company for approx 2 and a half years and I have never received a contract of employment. I have two questions:

1. We normally work 9.30 - 5 but the owner now wants us to work from 9 - 6 (with a one hour break). Is this legal?

2. Even though I dont have a contract of employment is the employer legally in trouble?

Would just like to get your thoughts.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Most contracts allow for flexibility of working hours and I'd imagine people you work with will be happy they have a job and will want to keep it. Therefore your employer did not do himself any favours by not giving you a contract. As you pointed out it could be considered a change in work practice.

FYI I have a friend whose contract states his hours are 9-5. A new contract was introduced for new employees where the hours were 9-5.30 with an hour for lunch. It did not apply to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

There is no need for a written contract of employment but the terms of and conditions of employment should have been given to you in writing. You can complain to the Rights Commissioner and you may be awarded up to four weeks wages as compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

Hi,

1. We normally work 9.30 - 5 but the owner now wants us to work from 9 - 6 (with a one hour break). Is this legal?

You should aslo be getting a 15 minute break but yes its alll perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

You must get a break if you work more then 4 hours at a time. This would be legal if the one hour break was between 1 and 2 as there is only 4 hours work either side of it. If your one hour lunch is at any other time a 15 minute break legally should be provided. So for example you are given a a lunch at 12 you would then require an evening break.

Advertisement