Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Health Insurance - question about HIL

Options
  • 26-10-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I received my renewal forms today for my Quinn Health Insurance.
    I was shocked by the increase in the premium, over 25% it seems!?
    Am I alone here?
    It was over 12% last year iirc and my Quinn Car insurance increased by 10% approx last year despite never claiming - dreading the increase this year tbh.

There was a notice at the bottom of the page explaining that the increase in my premium is due to the Fianna Fail imposed Health Insurance levy.

Are customers being screwed by Quinn Healthcare or by the Irish government?

I recently cancelled my partner off the policy as she insists on going abroad for anything medical related due to the catastrophic quality/waiting lists of health care in Ireland. The final straw was during the summer, she couldn't get any kind of satisfactory answer in Ireland so she went abroad and was assessed/operated in under 7 days. The cost was significantly cheaper than paying cover for her, for a year - nothing could be claimed back anyway.

I was considering keeping her on a lower plan, just for emergency cover, but I'm unsure if I would also have to pay a second levy for this too?

Any advice appreciated,
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The Health Insurance Levy has been in place since July 2009, so it should have applied last year's renewal as well.

In any case though, I think that everyone should shop around on their health insurance the same way they do with their car and house insurance. Under the various health insurance acts, people switching insurers don't have to restart their waiting periods; your new insurer must recognise the time spent with your previous insurer(s).

All insurers have a range of corporate plans that are very similar to the regular plans, but are only advertised to the corporate (company paid) sector. You should talk to Quinn about the corporate equivalent of your current plan. Have a look at this thread for some info.

Also, like I say in that thread, have a look at the Health Insurance Authority's website, www.hia.ie. They have a product comparison tool so you can see what the equivalent plans to yours are. It might take some time, but it could save you some money. (The HIA were set up by the Government a while back to monitor the health insurance market and to inform the public of their rights and choices.)

Advertisement