Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Reg fees

• 26-10-2010 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Do kids from poor familys have to pay these ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Depends on how poor but no, they're usually covered by the maintenance grant.

Although sometimes grant approval doesn't kick in in time and they have to pay it, but it gets refunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Denzil2222 wrote: »
    Do kids from poor familys have to pays these ?

No. Neither do most kids from rich families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Do kids from poor families go to college?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Most students have to pay Reg fees.

You could ask here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

KeithM89 wrote: »

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm very lucky to have come from an affluent family who were able to pay for my university fees and postgraduate fees. So I started work in zero debt.

I have colleagues and friends who were not so lucky and are over €12,000 in debt - but they worked hard and had clear goals and jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

TheZohan wrote: »
    Most students have to pay Reg fees.

You could ask here.

But if lenihan puts it up to 4k in the budget how will most people be able to pay it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

But if lenihan puts it up to 4k in the budget how will most people be able to pay it ?

They won't be able to..... I won't be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Well I suppose they could always do what many students have done before them; a mixture of student loans and getting a part time job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Registration fees are different to tuition fees aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Well I suppose they could always do what many students have done before them; a mixture of student loans and getting a part time job.

Easier said than done at this minute in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

KeithM89 wrote: »

Clearly the in first craving for thanks type....

of course they go to college!! how wealthy is your family??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Registration fees are different to tuition fees aren't they?
    Tuition fees are course fees, currently these are paid by the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Clearly the in first craving for thanks type....

of course they go to college!! how wealthy is your family??

Woah - i was joking :D - id never expect my family to pay my fees while im in a job. If they do go up to 3-4k il definitely need some financial aid

Teutorix wrote: »
    Tuition fees are course fees, currently these are paid by the government.
    Unless you go to a private university or study a postgraduate degree (which is pretty necessary these days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

I had to pay the fees and Im now have €12,000 in loans to pay off after my 4 years in college! Wasn't entitled to a grant when my parents bearly get enough in to pay their mortgage. If fees go up to €4000 my little brother won't get to college next year.... lookin sketchy enough as it is for him with what they are at now!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It will be those in the middle that lose out when it comes to fees. Those families with low incomes will be supported by grants for fees. Those at the top of society have surplus wealth to cover their kids fees.
    All the rest will struggle to meet the fees because their parents earn too much to qualify for a grant but they don't have the where with all to raise the necessary fees. So either the parents or the students will have to get into debt for education.
    If fees are re-introduced the banks will have to respond with a suitable product to enable students take the burden rather than the parents.
    All of this will have a knock on effect on those attending college which flies in the face of a "Smart" economy. But what ya gonna do?

I had to pay the fees and Im now have €12,000 in loans to pay off after my 4 years in college! Wasn't entitled to a grant when my parents bearly get enough in to pay their mortgage. If fees go up to €4000 my little brother won't get to college next year.... lookin sketchy enough as it is for him with what they are at now!! :eek:
    Just be glad you didn't go to King's Inns. €13,500 for the year when I went!
    Imagine the people who were not from well off families. They will have that debt over their heads for years.

But I do know people that have that burden. I'm always thankful for what I have and have been given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

OisinT wrote: »
    Unless you go to a private university or study a postgraduate degree (which is pretty necessary these days)
    Oh yeah, there is that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

OisinT wrote: »
    Just be glad you didn't go to King's Inns. €13,500 for the year when I went!
    Isn't it two years now? Nice little money-spinner for the Kings Inns. Cash in on middle class aspirations. It's like a conveyor belt down there. Most that come off the end might have the qualifications, but simply don't have the talent to ever find decent work. Still, it's nice to talk about young Sarah training to be the next Ali McBeal in front of aunty Mary over Xmas pudding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's a bull**** charge, it should be included in the fees. I'm in second year and haven't registered yet and the county council are being useless so it'll be a while til I register. Yet I'm still on all my class lists and mailing lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

EDUCATION NOT EMIGRATION !!

Be at that march whenever it's on or be ... square.

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Isn't it two years now? Nice little money-spinner for the Kings Inns. Cash in on middle class aspirations. It's like a conveyor belt down there. Most that come off the end might have the qualifications, but simply don't have the talent to ever find decent work. Still, it's nice to talk about young Sarah training to be the next Ali McBeal in front of aunty Mary over Xmas pudding.
    No the degree course is 1 year full time or 2 years part time.

If you don't have an approved law degree you have to do a diploma first (2 years part time) and it costs quite a bit too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

EDUCATION NOT EMIGRATION !!

Be at that march whenever it's on or be ... square.

This? http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=124538357601069&index=1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It will be those in the middle that lose out when it comes to fees. Those families with low incomes will be supported by grants for fees. Those at the top of society have surplus wealth to cover their kids fees.
    All the rest will struggle to meet the fees because their parents earn too much to qualify for a grant but they don't have the where with all to raise the necessary fees.

No way could I get a grant, but nor does my family earn enough to easily put me through college. I am very grateful that my parents have a little bit of money put away to help their children, but the fees just keep rising. My dad said it was education or shares, and he feels he made the right decision and will get a far better return :pac:
    I work (very) part time, so that saves me from asking my parents for money.

We're paying more money every year and the facilities are getting worse and lecture hours are getting cut. More for less. That's not right.

I'm class rep/president/what have you so I feel like this topic will come my way A LOT over the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Yar, that's the one. I wonder if that those 12,384 people who say they are attending are actually attending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

getting a part time job.
    This is proving to be very difficult for non-students too, like those tens of thousands who joined the dole queue this year...so how are us students supposed to compete with that?
    Yar, that's the one. I wonder if that those 12,384 people who say they are attending are actually attending.
    I shall be, and I've heard that those 12,000+ are signed up and ready to go, they are expecting up to 25,000 on the day :D

I will be there, as will many others I know. A voice is better than silence, we gotta try something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Agree with the posters who say its the people in the middle who will be hit hardest-as stated, those with grants will get it paid for, and those with very well off parents will get it paid for.

That being said, I don't see that march making a difference no matter how many students are there.

Advertisement