Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

California

Options
  • 26-10-2010 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey guys.... just looking for some advice really. Im planning on heading over to California on the j1 visa in summer 2011 for a few months. Im decided on California...however I really dont know which part to go to..Iv looked through tons of sites but i think getting a persons opinion straight off would be better. Im a 21 yr old female, (boyfriend could be coming along too) & looking to go somewhere near enough to a beach, with a good nightlife that isnt overly expensive. plus i dont want to be surrounded by tons of other irish students as it rules out the experience of the culture over there.
    I have considerd huntington beach but it seems so expensive.

If anyone has any ideas on where to go id love to hear them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

TBH, California is flooded with Irish people during the summer, all on the J-1. If you are really pushed about going there and don't want to be around students I would advise on going up to Northern California or moving inland on your choices. Also, it depends on how you will be supporting yourself, jobs are becoming quite scarce around here for the summers, I would put that as a measure for where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 xlou89x

Thx Lisa :) ya i figured California was a fairly popular choice but its the one place im dead set on going too..granted I realise il have to be around students no matter where i go but il defintly be avoiding san fran as i know thats hughly popular.
    Hoping to get a paid internship for a few weeks & then any sort of a job i can get. :)
    I would love to stay in one of the beach side cities..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I used to live in Santa Cruz County. Its on the north side of monterey bay. nice beach town with a big student population that keeps it lively. Its also within commute distance of silicon valley.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=36.971944,-121.950952&spn=0.006283,0.014237&z=17&layer=c&cbll=36.971944,-121.950952&panoid=l9AorqedRp9Wh-Mpg9PjCg&cbp=12,246.78,,0,9.82

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

xlou89x wrote: »
    I have considerd huntington beach but it seems so expensive.

If anyone has any ideas on where to go id love to hear them.

Hi xlou89x, I was on holidays here last year, i have friend who lives in the area, its a fantastic place with plently of pubs, clubs, restaurants, and the beach is amazing, i was only 10min away.

The only downside is you might find it hard to find work in the area itself.

Advertisement