Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need help arranging our setlist!

Options
  • 27-10-2010 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Moved thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Er... Isn't that part of the work of being in a cover band?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hidden away for months learning other peoples songs?

TBH i'd just press shuffle on those tracks, cos it doesn't really matter.

Personally i think the song selection is boring/rudimentary/uninspiring/if most of them came on the radio i'd turn them off type crappy music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

lordgoat wrote: »

Personally i think the song selection is boring/rudimentary/uninspiring/if most of them came on the radio i'd turn them off type crappy music.

You are probably right here, but it seems par for the course for a covers band these days. It is probably what the punters ( or the majority of them ;) ) want to hear. No good shooting the messenger.

OP : Apart from starting with some easier songs to get the band warmed up, I dont think the average punter would care about the order they are played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Hidden away for months learning other peoples songs?

TBH i'd just press shuffle on those tracks, cos it doesn't really matter.

you're right there Lordgoat, they should just play Radiohead's Kid A, followed by Amnesiac.

That should get the crowds going :rolleyes:

It's a covers gig for christs sake! - Its a perfectly good setlist to get the place goin. Good luck with it but I do share the other opinions that you should sit down and sort out the sequence by yourselves - get to it ye lazy swines :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

No Pearl Jam ? :rolleyes: Also play something other than "sex on fire" by Kings of Leon, that song has been played to death. Id change alot of those songs they are pretty steroptypical cover band songs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 eyes_alive

Moved Thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

eyes_alive wrote: »
    Blink182/Jedward All the small things

This is where you lost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I actually think it's quite a good selection of songs. You could get all cool and alternative and play stuff that would have the keyboard warriors on here stroking theirs chins in approval but that probably won't fill a dancefloor.

you're right there Lordgoat, they should just play Radiohead's Kid A, followed by Amnesiac.

It's a covers gig for christs sake! - Its a perfectly good setlist to get the place goin. Good luck with it but I do share the other opinions that you should sit down and sort out the sequence by yourselves - get to it ye lazy swines :P

I'm not a fan of cover bands but every band/artist on that list has better songs to cover. The point is if you want to just be another boring cover band then stick to the formula. But hey if that works for you go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I would dance the f*ck out of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Live version of Kid A is actually pretty kicking;

And of course Idioteque;

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The whole point of a cover band is to entertain people and make money. In the vast majority of places these days if you start playing songs that might be considered good by most music snobs fans, you won't get re-hired. As a case in point: the band I'm in used to do Weezer's cover of Kids which goes into Pokerface. Now I hate lady Gaga, but I was happy to play it because it got people up dancing and singing and that is what I get paid to do. Personally I'd love to get on stage and play Tool/A Perfect Circle/Alice In Chains covers all night but how much money is there to be made from that in this country.

P.S: Everything Radiohead did after OK Computer was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Didnt see a set and dont really want to.

cover gig:

1st half an hour is very important as that is when people decide to stay or move on so you have to grab um early, the mid section you can afford to play around a little bit but not to far as you have to attack again towards the end so they go away wanting to see you again.

your there to entertain, so playing covers for the cool bedroom playing muso types, that want to hear self indulgent stuff dont matter a toss as they aint paying you and are no use to you at gigs.

PMI wrote: »
    Didnt see a set and dont really want to.

your there to entertain, so playing covers for the cool bedroom playing muso types, that want to hear self indulgent stuff dont matter a toss as they aint paying you and are no use to you at gigs.

Yep the same people that save their money and go see bands that play their own songs and generally put a bit of effort into it. Self indulgence ftw.:rolleyes:

It's why imitations are 99% of the time cheaper wannabe knock offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Yep the same people that save their money and go see bands that play their own songs and generally put a bit of effort into it. Self indulgence ftw.:rolleyes:

It's why imitations are 99% of the time cheaper wannabe knock offs.

If people who go to a gig are enjoying the music and rocking the night away, who gives a **** weather it is originals or covers. :confused:

Music is meant to be enjoyed rather than analysed. What's wrong with someone enjoying a covers gig at a local pub on one night and a major world famous original band giving a concert, the next night ? The best of both worlds.

It can be done you know ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Back when I was younger Lordgoats comment would of annoyed me :)

But if done right a cover band opens alot of doors if taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

PMI wrote: »
    Back when I was younger Lordgoats comment would of annoyed me :)

But if done right a cover band opens alot of doors if taken seriously.

If nothing else, the money can be put to good use. I have quite a lot of gear now that I wouldn't have been able to afford without the money from covers gigs. That equipment is being put to good use in an originals band (and my education) as well as a covers outfit.

Advertisement