Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All day parking

• 27-10-2010 6:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭

I've always used Millers Marsh when parking for work, but they are removing all day parking there from November 1. I suspected they may try that again with TKMaxx opening. So, what are the best alternatives?

Don't some only start the all day rate from about 8, so parking before that will add extra?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

What about that car park up where the garden centre used be.. Emm whats the street called. Is on the opposite side where U Decor used to be. 5e a day i think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Eemia wrote: »
    What about that car park up where the garden centre used be.. Emm whats the street called. Is on the opposite side where U Decor used to be. 5e a day i think..
    Thomas Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

The carpark on the quay opposite the granary beside the bus station - that used to be 5.50 a day, I think it still is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Kahless wrote: »
    I've always used Millers Marsh when parking for work, but they are removing all day parking there from November 1. I suspected they may try that again with TKMaxx opening. So, what are the best alternatives?

Don't some only start the all day rate from about 8, so parking before that will add extra?

Is the car park underneath TKMaxx still an all day car park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Boooourns wrote: »
    Is the car park underneath TKMaxx still an all day car park?

Admittedly it's been ages since I way by the entrance to that one, but last time I was it only opened at 7, IIRC, which is too late for me.

Didn't know the garden centre on Thomas St./Thomas Hill is a car park now. Just did a drive-by on Street View and it shows €5 per day. I'll certainly check that one out further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I'd say your only other alternative would be Bolton Street car park or the quay if you need to be there before 7,there is another car park that's only been open a few months its behind the petrol station across from the park,i cant remember how much but it was fairly cheap for an all week ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'd say your only other alternative would be Bolton Street car park or the quay if you need to be there before 7,there is another car park that's only been open a few months its behind the petrol station across from the park,i cant remember how much but it was fairly cheap for an all week ticket.

Was down by there Monday evening and it has a sign up saying it's closed from now on.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Was down by there Monday evening and it has a sign up saying it's closed from now on.

Yeah i drove past myself today and it was closed.

OP i was in Aldi car park on The Glen today and its €4 from 7:30am to 8pm,if that's any good to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

passed the one at tkmaxx yesterday and a sign there said all day parking €2.50.

Just reading about this in the News & Star,and it's crazy what the council are after doing,it's gone from €3.60 for the day to €3.60 for 3 hours,with a maximum of 3 hours parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Straycat wrote: »
    passed the one at tkmaxx yesterday and a sign there said all day parking €2.50.

It has been that price with a long time but I can't see them keeping it at that is Poleberry clam down on non Tesco customers taking up the carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

BAD form from the council.... City centre is a disgrace for car parking and now they're screwing people even more.... no wonder shops like TK maxx wanted to be on the outskirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Just reading about this in the News & Star,and it's crazy what the council are after doing,it's gone from €3.60 for the day to €3.60 for 3 hours,with a maximum of 3 hours parking.

Why, is that not the standard rate. Can you put 50c into the machines and get 20 minutes or so?

They could have given more notice BUT, customers should have priority for parking. No customers no jobs, its that simple. Bike parking is still free.

I think the hourly rate should be under €1 so as not to discourage shoppers.

dayshah wrote: »
    Why, is that not the standard rate. Can you put 50c into the machines and get 20 minutes or so?

They could have given more notice BUT, customers should have priority for parking. No customers no jobs, its that simple. Bike parking is still free.

I think the hourly rate should be under €1 so as not to discourage shoppers.

The rate was €3.60 for the day parking,but now if you work in TKmaxx and decide to park in there you will have to go out every 3 hours of your shift and get a new ticket,so say you work 8 hours your going to have to pay for 9 hours so that's €10.80 for the day and €54 for the week,where as before it was just €18 for the week.

The rate was €3.60 for the day parking,but now if you work in TKmaxx and decide to park in there you will have to go out every 3 hours of your shift and get a new ticket,so say you work 8 hours your going to have to pay for 9 hours so that's €10.80 for the day and €54 for the week,where as before it was just €18 for the week.

Yes but before you could save only €18 a week by walking to work. Now you can save €54. You are up €36!!!!!!
    :D

Only joking, but it will encourage people to leave their cars at home, and free up space for shoppers, which means more jobs.

I see they've changed Millers Marsh again. Now it's split in 2. Half all day parking for €3.60 and half normal rate with maximum of 3 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

The Car Park under Railway Square (Eurocarparks or something) is now €3.20 for all day parking. I had parking there when I lived in Railway and it was perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Yes but before you could save only €18 a week by walking to work. Now you can save €54. You are up €36!!!!!!
    :D

Only joking, but it will encourage people to leave their cars at home, and free up space for shoppers, which means more jobs.

I know some people could leave the car at home and get a bus/cycle/walk or whatever, but do you really think that everyone who works in a village/town/city lives within a 5 mile radius, or on a bus route with regular buses?

Plenty of people living out in the country, or in other towns commuting to work, or in areas with virtually no bus routes, who have to drive to work.

OT I know, sorry!

Wonder how Millars Marsh will work now being split half-and-half, surely everyone will try to get a spot in the all-day half even if they only plan to be there for the 3 hours, in case they decide to delay a bit and maybe get a bite to eat while they're in shopping?

Guess you'd have to be there first thing in the morning to be guaranteed a space, although that wouldn't help if you were working shifts that didn't start early morning-time.

echosound wrote: »
    Plenty of people living out in the country, or in other towns commuting to work, or in areas with virtually no bus routes, who have to drive to work.

True. I think there should be some parking for workers. But I think the most convenient parking should be for customers.

I think its reasonable for people from Kilmac or something to drive in, but get a parking space a 10 min walk away from work.

True. I think there should be some parking for workers. But I think the most convenient parking should be for customers.

The most convenient parking is already for customers.

• Advertisement

Kahless wrote: »
    The most convenient parking is already for customers.

Yes, and it should be kept that way.

Before TK Maxx that wasn't the most convenient car park for shopping in town, but now TK Maxx are there there will be more action that side of town.

I don't think workers should have cheap parking in that place if its at the expense of customers getting parking. So most of the time I think splitting it half and half will be fine. The workers will get the cheap spaces as they come before the customers.

Does anyone know what the situation is on Saturdays? Will it be half and half then? I think there should be less cheap spaces then.

Overall though I think the hourly rate for parking should be reduced.

Advertisement