Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I had the Ruger Mk II - lovely piece of equipment, - haven't heard the same good reviews on the Mk III that the II got tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To be honest, your plan B sounds like a better pistol than your plan A!
    Apart from that, yes, it's licencable so long as you get a five-shot magazine for it (the 10-shot magazines would make it a restricted short firearm and thus unlicencable).

But seriously, there are much better pistols out there than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Sparks wrote: »
    five-shot magazine for it

But seriously, there are much better pistols out there than this one.

Please explain !

whydave wrote: »
    Please explain !
    The five-shot magazine or the better pistols?

The five-shot magazine or the better pistols?
    Thanks thats a great help !!!
    what I mean is can you advise on Five-shot magazine or the better pistols
    what type of Semi-auto pistol comes with a Five-shot magazine ?
    Do you have / had a .22lr pistol ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

what type of Semi-auto pistol comes with a Five-shot magazine ?

Virtually all 22lr pistols come with a 5-shot magazine - some take more
    there are some single shot pistols but they are like hens teeth.
    what I mean is can you advise on Five-shot magazine or the better pistols

It will take a very long time before you are better than your pistol - so choose one that
    a) you like to shoot
    b) you can easily clean
    c) you can get parts/magazines for at a reasonable price and
    d) that will work with the ammo you can get

If it ever happens that you feel the pistol is 'holding you back' by then you will know enough to know what one you want.

Mots successful 22lr pistol in competition in Ireland would have to be the Smith & Wesson 22a, followed by the Hammerli xsesse, followed by the pardini sp and so on.

You will generally find that it is the person behind the pistol that is the actual success and it would not matter what model they were using.
    They just happen to have chosen the one they like most.

Hope it helps.

B'Man

Can't tell you where to find five-shot magazines for that pistol dave, no idea where you'd look. You could try to get the normal 10-shot magazine blocked by an RFD though, by welding a rod inside the magazine under the follower so it can't take more than five rounds.

A fair few semis either come with 5-shot mags or have aftermarket 5-shot mags available; and the rest can usually be relatively easily modified to limit them to 5-shot magazines.

BTW, when that pistol says it's a .22lr HV calibre, are they saying it'll only cycle properly with HV ammo? Because you won't find too many Irish ranges that allow HV ammo to be used on the range.

As to better pistols, the Ruger has a better rep than the pistol you've listed above; as do others like the Browning Buckmark, the S&W 22a, the Hammerli xesse, and all the higher-end pistols like the Walther SSP. And no, I don't own a .22lr pistol; I haven't the time to shoot one or a range handy enough to shoot it on and the next firearm I get, no matter what it is, puts me into the next security class up which means house alarms and such, and for a firearm which I don't have time to use or a place to use it in, that's a step too far. I've shot in .22lr pistol matches a few times and done reasonably well, but for now at least, I'm just sticking to my air pistol.

Bananaman wrote: »
    Mots successful 22lr pistol in competition in Ireland would have to be the Smith & Wesson 22a, followed by the Hammerli xsesse, followed by the pardini sp and so on.
    For competitions in Ireland, taken as a whole across all disciplines, that's most probably right; but you really should point out that that doesn't mean a 22a is better than an SSP, especially when someone's asking for purchasing information for a first pistol.

Benchrest the pair of them and an SSP will best a 22a every day of the week and twice on tuesdays; the 22a has the better record of medals won because there are more 22a's out there, mostly in matches that SSP shooters don't enter.

None of which, by the way, means that a 22a isn't a good pistol for a beginner; it's perfectly fine. The point is that there are better pistols out there - but it'll take a year or three before you'll be good enough to notice the difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

No-ones mentioned this yet - A fairly critical element to the potential success or otherwise of an application for your FAC for a .22lr pistol: Which range/club are you a member of / planning to join?

Any of the targetshooting ranges which cater for pistols should have plenty of fellow members more than willing to give you advise on which pistol would best suit your needs for the particular pistol targetshooting you intend to do.

Ask around at your range and I'd be very surprised if you don't get loads of very useful information.

In relation to the GSG pistol you've mentioned above, I can't say I've any experience of the GSG pistols, but having looked pretty closely at the German Sport Guns' GSG5 22lr S/A I'd have to say that the build-quality is a wee bit "plasticy" and just felt too flimsy for my liking. If the pistol is built to the same standard, that would put me off personally.

As the lads have mentioned above, there are probably better (i.e. more accurate) pistols in a similar price-range (or for not much more) out there.

BTW Which RFD is selling the GSG products here? Wouldn't mind a good ol' tyre-kick myself.;):D

For competitions in Ireland, taken as a whole across all disciplines, that's most probably right; but you really should point out that that doesn't mean a 22a is better than an SSP, especially when someone's asking for purchasing information for a first pistol.

Benchrest the pair of them and an SSP will best a 22a every day of the week and twice on tuesdays; the 22a has the better record of medals won because there are more 22a's out there, mostly in matches that SSP shooters don't enter.

None of which, by the way, means that a 22a isn't a good pistol for a beginner; it's perfectly fine. The point is that there are better pistols out there - but it'll take a year or three before you'll be good enough to notice the difference between them.

True enough I suppose.

In the Benchrest competitions NASRPC hold in Rathdrum you will usually find

Smith & Wesson 22a
    Hammerli Xsesse
    Walther GSP
    Pardinit SP
    Browning Buckmark
    and myriad others on the line at the same time.

In those matches - of late - the Pardini would see m to have come out best

In the T&P Matches the NASRPC run and lately the GP40 matches you will usually find the same guys, with the same pistols and the 22a will invariably run away with it.

I have not seen all the same guys shoot a line in an ISSF match but have seen a good few of them and the GSP or the Pardini would have come out best

I'll still stand over my comment that it is the guy behind the pistol that is the deciding factor - give the guys with the Pardini of the GSP a 22a and they will most likely whip the field with it.

It is true that there are some really bad pistols - but you rarely see them anymore

Some of the rest may be extremely good when shot from a vice - I see the Pardini SP and the S&W 417 shooting 1/2" groups at 50m

but most of us will never be limited by the abilities of our choice of pistol - if we are, we should be competing on a bigger stage - as long as we stick with one

which has been tested in competition here,
    can use the ammo that is available here,
    for which you can get parts here

and most importantly

that you like to shoot.

B'man

• Advertisement

most importantly
    that you like to shoot.

Well :D
    That might be where we differ I suppose. When I got my rifles and my pistol, I chose the best I could get for the price, and a lot, if not all the modifications I've made to stocks and such since, have been about getting the round through the middle of the target, not user comfort. In fact, my air rifle setup is very uncomfortable when you first try it (you get used to it to the point where it doesn't detract from shooting, but you still get a solid line on your face after shooting). As my coach keeps repeating whenever I mention that something's not really comfortable, "****s sake, who told you this was meant to be fun?" :D

Fun's a 10.9 shot the hard way, not a shiny gun :D

28.9.10.1.jpg

We'll agree to disagree on that point then

I like nothing more than watching someone - who cares not a whit - shoot a match and beat everyone - me included - who have been getting a bit up their own ar53 about being all serious

i prefer to shoot a 10.9 while having a bit of craic to shooting a 10.9 'the hard way' every time

but everyone to their own

B'Man

I like nothing more than watching someone - who cares not a whit - shoot a match and beat everyone - me included - who have been getting a bit up their own ar53 about being all serious
    I'd love to see that, it'd be funny.

It's just that after seventeen years of competitive target shooting... I've never seen it happen. Not once. Not ever. In fact, I've never even read a scoresheet where it happened. You'll get outliers, random one-shot deals where it might happen, but they're meaningless. For example, here's me versus Haman (ranked 5th in the world in olympic air rifle shooting) - I put in a 10.3, he put in a 10.2, but just because I out-shot him in one shot, doesn't mean that I should be ranked 4th in the world :D )
    sany0010a.jpg

(Does mean I get bragging rights for approximately 47 seconds though :D )

Folks who care not a whit and never train... they just don't beat those who do. That's not some moral judgement or "my daddy can beat up your daddy" comment, it's just how it is. Doesn't mean someone who trained for fifty years and took a six-month break isn't going to kick ass against a bunch of folks with only two or three years training under them, but that's not them "not caring a whit", it's just misinterpreting what you're seeing.

And personally, I'd figure that if someone can walk in, totally ab initio, never having trained before, and beat the best your sport has to offer... then I'd wonder whether there wasn't some sort of structural problem with the rules of the sport, because I don't know of any sport where that can happen (not outside of a Disney film at least).
    i prefer to shoot a 10.9 while having a bit of craic to shooting a 10.9 'the hard way' every time
    "The hard way" here means "deliberately" :D
    Accidental 10.9s just don't count, you can shoot them with shotguns while blindfolded ;)

Okay ,back on track ,
    anyone here that got a new licence for a .22lr pistol and if so what type ?
    anyone re-licence a .22lr pistol and if so what type ?
    did they come with 5 round Mags ?
    David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I've had a number of pistols previously :cool:;)

I have had a Ruger MK III in .22lr - excellent pistol BUT a git to strip for cleaning.

I had a Tanfoglio .40 & a CZ 9mm but they aren't relevant to this thread :P

I currently have a Browning Buckmark in .22lr, which I licenced recently, and it's awsome ! The magazine is a 10 rounder but it's been limited to 5.

Unless you are a member of an authorised range with a pistol range you're wasting your time. Security requirements depends on your Super & his/her interpretation of the "Commissioners Guidelines".

The lads have posted some good advice here. You'd be better off sticking to something on the "list".

Personally, I reckon your "Plan B" or a Buckmark is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

cripes yeah - yer bringing back memories there BS - the Mk II was a "b" to strip down too, way too much work and awkward to boot!

You could try the Pardini SP New - couple of twists of an allen key and hey presto, easily cleaned, great shot and a 5 mag capacity. Bit costly tho.

http://www.pardini.it/weapon/target_pistols-sp1-sp1.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

LB6 wrote: »
    cripes yeah - yer bringing back memories there BS - the Mk II was a "b" to strip down too, way too much work and awkward to boot!........

:D MK III had a few small differences to MK II, mag release catch and something else.........other than that same pistol.

Buckmark is easy to strip :cool: and is every bit as accurate as the MK III I had :cool::cool:

SSP or a 22a in my future though :D

SSP or a 22a in my future though :D
    If you're thinking it could be either bunny, don't pick up the SSP before the 22a :D
    Even just pointing the SSP is addictive. Wonderful bit of engineering. I don't think the sight line could be any lower without you having to cut chunks out of your hand to see it :D

Dave,

most people - unless they already held a license before the epoch - have had to apply for an unrestricted license

therefore they have had to get the magazine or cylinder restricted to 5 rounds

how you do that depends on the magazine construction but most firearms dealers will be able to do it for you and give you a letter for the Gardai to say it has been done

and yes - licenses have been issued - both for those that already had them before the epoch and for new applicants

as dcorbus said you need to be a member of a club first and may need to increase your security at home but the Garda Crime Prevention Officer will let you know what you need when they inspect your house

hope it helps,

B'Man

B'Man

Advertisement