Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Academy

Options
  • 27-10-2010 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭

How's everyone getting on with the new-ish YA?

When the new YA started I had nothing, got me a L1 scout and left it at that. Every couple of weeks, scout someone at 10-20 stars then scout at 0 stars for awhile.

Only promoted one of these players, scouted at 10 stars, played about 10 junior games getting 2.5 star ratings. Promoted at 16.5k CSR. Not bad, but not world beating either.

Decided to invest in L2 training facilities at Youth Level. I think spending money on training is money better spent than on scout or manager. At my level, I don't need 30 star recruits every week, 1 a month is good enough.

In the past month, I have managed to sell 2 0 star recruits as salary savers for a combined cost of 30k. Which covers the cost of the Academy before I sell or use any "proper" players. One problem here when I upgrade to L2 is that my recruits will need to age pretty quick if they are to be useful salary savers.

What sort of strategy are all of using? How many scouting stars are you using? level of training etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I've lost the love. As I said elsewhere, I had two crackin' 17 year olds for sale at an asking price of 10k and they went for 10k. I was expecting a bidding war. One was an ideal prop, statswise, bar his reckless discipline (which I wouldn't tolerate but I know many managers would.) In the past I've seen similar players go into the 100k, so, I dunno what I'm doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Think youth coaches, managers and facilities are a waste of time and money tbh. They cost a fortune to maintain and by the looks of it even a full season in the academy under a top level coach increases CSR by a meagre couple of thousand or so. There's no way thats worth the investment (top level facilities and coach cost 32,500 a week:eek:).

With the youth manager you don't need to see players skills in advance because theres a highly likelihood you're just gonna promote them the week they turn 17 anyway, regardless of skills set. Certainly the ones you invest more than 10 stars on. Its is gimmick if you ask me. 100,000 and 12,500 a week for a level 3 manager. No thanks.

Get a top level scout but don't bother with the rest is my philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Agreed with corny. total waste of time but if you do want one, just hire a scout and save stars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I'll have the top level YA in every respect in a few weeks, if nothing else at least I've got the chance to help Ireland produce some top level internationals.

Devoted 25 stars to two guys recently + now wondering if I was right. Are there any hard stats in regards how much each star increases the players chances of being something special? I'm supposing that as you devote more stars it has less of an effect, but that's just a supposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Effluo wrote: »
    I'll have the top level YA in every respect in a few weeks, if nothing else at least I've got the chance to help Ireland produce some top level internationals.

Devoted 25 stars to two guys recently + now wondering if I was right. Are there any hard stats in regards how much each star increases the players chances of being something special? I'm supposing that as you devote more stars it has less of an effect, but that's just a supposition.

From documentation "You can use as many stars as you like, but every star above the 10th star will have significantly diminished returns."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Interestingly enough, I let the stars build up ( i.e i forgot about them ) twice, and gained a 32 & a 35 star guy. In all the matches so far, and with pops, they are significantly better than anyone else in my academy. They both get 3 and a half stars at WNWIM, and have 'high' pop markers in place.

I'll keep y'all updated on how they go. But they really do seem better than the others.

Hopefully i wont jinx this.. but one of my 16 year olds had 2 pop reveals this week, 10 speed and 10 agility. Waiting to see how he turns out, but could be a corker!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Hopefully i wont jinx this.. but one of my 16 year olds had 2 pop reveals this week, 10 speed and 10 agility. Waiting to see how he turns out, but could be a corker!

Nice. How many scouting stars did you use on him?

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.youth.php#player=6004609

He's a big guy, but i'v been playing him on the wing, where he has been getting 3-4 stars at wnwim.

I used 32 stars on him. ( He's the one i mentioned above, that i'd forgot to use stars and just decided to go all in on. It seems to have paid off )

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

how did you decide to put him on the wing?

• Advertisement

I need a big chunky back, to replace one i plan on selling. So i put him on wing... Waited until i got a player of his kinda stats, just lucky he had the stars.

ok i have a question does in not matter where they play in the junior team, i taught it be the same as the senior but trying to guess without stats fatties in the front row lanky in the second and the small fellas out the backs

Yes, Position affects what skills develop, and how they develop.

For example, a back will develop agility / speed much better than a prop, who may have good strength and technique.

so if you have a fellow who you would 9 times out of ten put in prop but put him in outhalf he wont have prop attribute but outhalf ones, even if they start of with 20k? thats a weird way of doing but at least it means you can strengthen certain possitions

Well yes and no. Position will only contribute to how skills develop. Obviously it all depends on stars, investment and training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

seanand wrote: »
    so if you have a fellow who you would 9 times out of ten put in prop but put him in outhalf he wont have prop attribute but outhalf ones, even if they start of with 20k? thats a weird way of doing but at least it means you can strengthen certain possitions
    Players will already have a particular skill-set when they first arrive in the academy.

so voodoos player will more than likely still have good jumping and strenght even tho hes on the wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

seanand wrote: »
    so voodoos player will more than likely still have good jumping and strenght even tho hes on the wing?
    I'm not sure. It could be the case that lock-sized players tend to have lock-appropriate skills out of the box, but I wouldn't bet on it.

but more than likely he will tho?

Promoted Rory Calder.

25k CSR.

Brilliant stats across the board, Put him straight into individual training x 10 sessions. Hopefully if all works out, he could do something good..

• Advertisement

Promoted Rory Calder.

25k CSR.

Brilliant stats across the board, Put him straight into individual training x 10 sessions. Hopefully if all works out, he could do something good..

Lucky boy! what's the rest of your youth setup like?

Couple of interesting players at the mo, but nothing as promising as Calder. I promoted a player last week too, Steven Scroogins, who came out at 21kcsr, and a couple of good stats. He's currently for sale and there's a bid of 128k for him, Looks like the youth set up is finally starting to pay off!

I invested heaving in a scout and facilities. Seems to have worked.

Couple of interesting players at the mo, but nothing as promising as Calder. I promoted a player last week too, Steven Scroogins, who came out at 21kcsr, and a couple of good stats. He's currently for sale and there's a bid of 128k for him, Looks like the youth set up is finally starting to pay off!

I invested heaving in a scout and facilities. Seems to have worked.

Yeah, I'm tempted to upgrade my scout at this point. Have L2 Training, but only L1 scout and manager.

Kind of employed the manger by accident but was thinking I could reduce my squad by 1 and get an L2 scout with the money...

Voodoo, you seem to be the only person having joy on the YA front. I have had NOTHING come out of it really, sold a few players for 15k or so but nothing worthwhile. the highlight of my academy is Josh McCash!!!

Still want to stick with the YA, much more enjoyable than camping and trying to pick up a good deal on the TM.

crisco10 wrote: »

Voodoo, you seem to be the only person having joy on the YA front.

Still want to stick with the YA, much more enjoyable than camping and trying to pick up a good deal on the TM.

Only as of very recently tbh. Calder is my best youth academy product, followed by Scroggins, who sold for 128k earlier.. before that i was getting absolute Donkeys! But they were the first players from my new system, the new manager/scout/coach layout. All the rest were from my old 1 star academy. Only really started to invest end of last season.

It does look like its gonna start paying off though, especially if they continue along the caliber of my last three promotions ( 18k, 21k and 25k ).

Scouting is where its at i think, and i do think that this method helped me get the guys i got at the most cost effective way.

what level scout do you have voodoo?

Those guys were pulled with a lvl 2. I'v a lvl 3 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

how many stars were spent on each pull?

Between 20-30 ish. Think it was 32 on Calder.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

My first truly awesome pull from the academy...

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.php#player=9919144

Not sure where along the back line to play him through.. I played in the youths at 9 and I'm going to try him out there on Thursday, though should a 9 have more technique?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

satory wrote: »
    My first truly awesome pull from the academy...

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/club.squad.php#player=9919144

Not sure where along the back line to play him through.. I played in the youths at 9 and I'm going to try him out there on Thursday, though should a 9 have more technique?

Looks tasty at 24k CSR, no point asking if he should ahve more CSR as we can't see his individual stats!!;)

Advertisement