Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE impartiality

• 27-10-2010 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever contacted the Audience Council?

Just curious, several complaints I sent into RTE regarding impartiality were returned with a polite PFO.

Just wondering do these folks have any real input or are they told to PFO too?

: http://www.rte.ie/about/audiencecouncil.html

“Purpose
    The public interest tests that RTÉ sets for itself include:
    • Fairness
    • Accuracy
    • Impartiality
    • Objectivity
    • Independence from vested interests and freedom from political control or influence
    • High quality schedules available to all (i.e. free to air)
    • A significant proportion of programming originating in Ireland
    • Schedules that include programming for minority groups and interests
    • Schedules that respect the views of the audience and enhance their cultural expectations
    • Programming that recognises regional interests and cultural diversity
    • Programming that encourages understanding and tolerance
    • Programming that is imaginative and original.
    All of these tests are in the interest of the audience, and are open to comment and feedback by the audience; the Audience Council facilitates this communication and these topics form its basic agenda. A copy of the agreed communiqué which issues after each meeting is here http://www.rte.ie/about/audience_communique.html
    You can contact the audience council here:audiencecouncil@rte.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Not sure if the RTÉ Audience Council has any teeth or any real input but for my 2c, if I had a complaint about any of RTÉ's broadcasting, I'd go directly to the Broadcasting Complaints division of the BAI where I'd expect it to be dealt with one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

What's the difference between the BAI and the BCI? Are they two seperate quangos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The "BCI" no longer exists. They, the RTÉ Authority and the BCC all came together to become the BAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

just had a brief read through, The BAI seem to concern themselves with specific broadcasts and require an occasion or incident that causes offence that you can pinpoint.

My gripe is not what is said on RTE, but what is not said. The culture of avoiding issues relating to salaries in RTE, ( with the exception of Mooney yesterday). Pulling punches in political interviews and FF favouritism.

The practise of RTE personalities given airtime to promote their own agendas and products while already drawing a handsome salary form the licence fee payer. With the exception of charity work, this should be banned.

It’s a change in the whole culture of RTE I would like to see.
    I watch the BBC program on sunday mornings where current affairs producers are called in to answer viewers complaints.
    We desperately need something like this
    I know turkeys and xmas comes to mind.

That's why I though the audience council might be a better approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Poly wrote: »
    Pulling punches in political interviews and FF favouritism.

I really don't see this. Only last week The Frontline were accused of bringing on FF guests to give them a tough time purely for entertainment. Listen to the late debate tonight on r1, they always seem to give each party an equally hard time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

QuadLeo wrote: »
    I really don't see this. Only last week The Frontline were accused of bringing on FF guests to give them a tough time purely for entertainment. Listen to the late debate tonight on r1, they always seem to give each party an equally hard time.

By some FF hack senator, who is hardly impartial and is going to play up the "victim" angle "RTE are out to get us, boo hoo!" Like **** RTE are out to get FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I still get angry at ryans tubridy soft interviews with brian Cowan and bertie

I heard he tore strips of enda kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

mike65 wrote: »
    By some FF hack senator, who is hardly impartial and is going to play up the "victim" angle "RTE are out to get us, boo hoo!" Like **** RTE are out to get FF.

That was only one example. If you watch The Frontline or listen to PK on the radio there is no question that he gives every politician a tough time, and even more so those in Government.

You could argue that some presenters on RTE may be biased, maybe. But in fairness everybody has their preferences and it can be hard to hide it (take george hook on newstalk for example). But I honestly don't see any evidence that RTE as a broadcaster are biased in any way. In fact I think there's strict legislation against it, broadcasting acts etc....

Just take Live Line for example. Every single day there are numerous people cursing FF and the political system. And don't forget the hungover interview on morning Ireland with Cowen a few weeks back. I honestly think RTE as a whole carry out fair, impartial and often tough interviews with politicians. It's a different story when a presenter personally shows favoritism towards one party but I think that's rare compared to the amount of honest comment heard on RTE.

Advertisement