Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade or not.

Options
  • 27-10-2010 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

I've been considering getting a new computer but I haven't been able to find a good supplier. I use to use Komplett but they don't seem to do full systems anymore. So then I thought maybe I'll just try an upgrade. Unfortunately I dont know much about upgrading or compatability. So I was hoping that I could post my computer specs here and people could advise me what they think I could change or wether they think I should just buy a new one. The computer is used mainly for gaming so I think my graphics cards are probably due an upgrade. These are my specs as per Dxdiag.

Motherboard: MSI MS-7510
    Graphics: 2x Nvidia Geforce 8500GT
    RAM: 4x 1GB
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @2.66GHZ
    Sound: Sound blaster x-fi Xtreme
    Operating System: Windows 7

Any comments or advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

monitors resolution? and budget?
    I'd say you just need to upgrade your graphics card. what psu do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    monitors resolution? and budget?
    I'd say you just need to upgrade your graphics card. what psu do you have?

Monitor is an Acer X193W and has a resolution of 1440x900. I'm not sure about the PSU. It's newer than the rest of the computer because I had to have it replaced. I remember I didn't skimp on it though. I'll have to open up the case when I get home. My budget is around €600 but I could go higher if needs be. (Upcoming birthday)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yep, definitely the graphics, it's bottlenecking your whole system. A 130-150 euro (5770 or even a GTX460) mid-high range card would strike a good balance. The 8500GT in SLI would draw more power than one of these cards, and the newer cards as MUCH much faster.

Yep, definitely the graphics, it's bottlenecking your whole system. A 130-150 euro (5770 or even a GTX460) mid-high range card would strike a good balance. The 8500GT in SLI would draw more power than one of these cards, and the newer cards as MUCH much faster.

I have two graphics cards. Do you think I would be better with just the one?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

100% yes. The 8500GT is very slow and limited by its bit-bandwidth. One of those new baby's will easily outperform your 8500GT's SLI'd 4/5 fold, probably more :D

• Advertisement

So you think the ones you named are the best my computer could handle efficiently?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

We need to know what PSU you have before we can recommend more power-hungry cards. Also, unless you intend on upgrading that monitor to a 22" Full HD model anything more than a HD5770 or GTS450 is utter overkill anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

k_mac wrote: »
    I've been considering getting a new computer but I haven't been able to find a good supplier. I use to use Komplett but they don't seem to do full systems anymore. So then I thought maybe I'll just try an upgrade. Unfortunately I dont know much about upgrading or compatability. So I was hoping that I could post my computer specs here and people could advise me what they think I could change or wether they think I should just buy a new one. The computer is used mainly for gaming so I think my graphics cards are probably due an upgrade. These are my specs as per Dxdiag.

Motherboard: MSI MS-7510
    Graphics: 2x Nvidia Geforce 8500GT
    RAM: 4x 1GB
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @2.66GHZ
    Sound: Sound blaster x-fi Xtreme
    Operating System: Windows 7

Any comments or advice appreciated.

Just look at this graph

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_460_Sonic_Platinum/31.html

see the GF210? thats about the level of an 8500GT maybe better, now look at the recommended card 460GTX

I have a strange feeling you got the komplett "gaming" pc.. now whilst the 8500GTs are absolutely utterly crap.. the rest of the PC I think is rather good.. and the good news is I think your PSU is not ****, slide open the PC and read the sticker on the side of the PSU, look at the brand name and the watts.

I think you just need to invest in a new graphics card. When you do.. you will not believe the difference... games will be buttery smooth at highest settings.. esp with something like 460GTX

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry about the delay in getting back. I've tried to identify the PSU but I'll have to take the computer apart to do it because there is nothing displayed other than the brand (Jeantech). I'll probably go with the GTX 460 and if then if I need to upgrade the PSU. As to the monitor. When you say it is over kill do you mean I will be wasting the graphics card or will it not work at all?

On a side note, is it easy to hook the computer to my tv as opposed to upgrading my monitor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

It is indeed. But it depends on your TV. Is it a Full HD TV with a resolution of 1920*1080, and does it have any HDMI ports? If so its dead simple, just use a HDMI cable between the Graphics card and the TV and you are pretty much sorted. One thing to note though, a lot of TV have a horrible signal switching issue when hooked up to a PC. When you boot the PC the signal going from the pc to the TV will drop a few times. It won't cause any damage, just annoying if your TV tries to pick up the signal and switch to it automaticially.

Ok i found the manual for my PSU. It's a 550W. With that in mind would this be a suitable graphics card.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/XFX-Radeon-HD5770-1GB-PCI-Express-Graphics-Card-NEW-Box-/140505000992?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item20b6c02c20

Thanks for your help and patience so far.

550W for the 5770 is more than enough power

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not neccessarily if its a JeanTech! :pac:

It's a Corsair. At least thats what the manual says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Solitaire wrote: »
    We need to know what PSU you have before we can recommend more power-hungry cards. Also, unless you intend on upgrading that monitor to a 22" Full HD model anything more than a HD5770 or GTS450 is utter overkill anyway :o

Having bought a 5770 on the strength of Solitaire and Cherryghosts advice in can recommend it, absolutely smashing card, and a MISER on power.

Coincidentally my mate has also bought one of these after having a good gawp at my rig :P

This is the one i bought : http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4122063/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-5770-1-gb-gddr5.html

Got the gtx 460. Just fitted it there but can't get past the post on the boot up now. I get one long beep and two short and then nothing. Monitor is blank. I've checked the psu and it's a jeantech 700w. Anyone got any ideas? Does it matter which of the slots the card goes in? My only other thoughts are problems with the power connections. There's two six pin sockets in the card but the manual says to only connect one.

EDIT: Never mind. It was a power issue. Sorted now. So far looks good on Civ 5. Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement