Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon B'Oards

• 27-10-2010 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭

Simple as, it's basically a Boards vote for the candidates of the Ballon D'Or.

I'm interested to see how the votes would go.

Who would you pick? 203 votes

Xabi Alonso
    0%
    Dani Alves
    1%
    BoskowskiLeivaNuri Sahinghosttown 4 votes
    Iker Casillias
    0%
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    0%
    Hazys 1 vote
    Didier Drogba
    2%
    lordgoatMaceFaceJulezPeyton ManningkryogenEathrin 6 votes
    Samuel Eto'o
    3%
    TelgereGonzovisionJohnnyRyan99DazMarzGavRedKingSheepy99Ferris_Buellerbaldshin 8 votes
    Cesc Fabregas
    0%
    Diego Forlan
    2%
    gandalfDiddy KongMintopatrickcx PyRofrantic190 6 votes
    Asamoah Gyan
    7%
    A Dub in GlasgoGLaDOSxtal191The Volt[Deleted User]That_Guyjethro081Vurnon San BenitoMmcdMinstrel27JordonvitobamboozlingFr Tod UmptiousJimmy IovineMoist BreadPauleta 16 votes
    Andres Iniesta
    1%
    eoin2ncshano_88peabutler 3 votes
    Julio Cesar
    5%
    Fenixkeano_afcBogbuilttospillSantryRedFreeOSCARDeeper BluemiralizePomBearQuandaryv3ttelkarma_ 12 votes
    Miroslav Klose
    0%
    Philipp Lahm
    0%
    Maicon
    0%
    Lionel Messi
    0%
    Dont be at yourself 1 vote
    Thomas Muller
    20%
    DustazPiEefbjoe123applehunterMr.Nice Guyctrl-alt-deletePigheadJPASobypatmacmissingtimethorbarryMagic Pipsgustavoracso1975fullstopsyngindubronan.hPaparazzo 42 votes
    Mesut Ozil
    2%
    Mossintolosencdfx-Kess73everdead.ie 5 votes
    Carles Puyol
    0%
    NickDrakePontificatus 2 votes
    Arjen Robben
    0%
    8-10 1 vote
    Bastian Schweinsteiger
    0%
    cournioniGSPfan 2 votes
    Wesley Sneijder
    2%
    Reganio 2davyjoseredzerdrogRoasterLiam O3hn2givr7mx1sc 6 votes
    David Villa
    41%
    KulganPHBVokesmike65Palefacesuper_furryDempseypickarooneyT-b0n3IagoKingp35evad_lhorgziggyJazzyBeekay[Deleted User]breadmonkeyyabadabadoNecronomiconKinetic^ 84 votes
    Xavi
    1%
    The RoosterJageraHammer Archergreendom 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Where's Robbie Keane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Thought this was going to be for forum awards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

David Villa
    Has to be Sneijder, was the main man in Inters treble success and also Hollands excellent World Cup campaign.

Terrific playmaker and off the back of a relatively unsuccessful spell at Madrid showed the world the potential and quality he possesses.

Also I truly admire the player and his performances on the pitch merit him as the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

David Villa
    Diego Milito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Andres Iniesta
    Gyan- African's number one player in the continents most important year footballing wise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

David Villa
    orourkeda wrote: »
    Where's Robbie Keane?

On the bench scratching he's balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Asamoah Gyan
    Diego Forlan is my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

David Villa
    Although I think Messi has played the best football in the past year, this should go to Sneijder. He was the key in Inter's unprecedented treble and Holland's march to the WC Final. Top player and would be fully deserved.

Just checked out the odds and it looks to be between him, Xavi and Iniesta. With Spain winning the WC Xavi looks to be the primary danger as Iniesta missed a lot of last season through injury.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/ballon-dor/player-of-the-year

Sneijder at 5-2 with Ladbrokes looks a decent punt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

David Villa
    Sneijder for contribution to Inters three trophies and a WC final team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Xavi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

David Villa
    Warper wrote: »
    Although I think Messi has played the best football in the past year, this should go to Sneijder. He was the key in Inter's unprecedented treble and Holland's march to the WC Final. Top player and would be fully deserved.

Just checked out the odds and it looks to be between him, Xavi and Iniesta. With Spain winning the WC Xavi looks to be the primary danger as Iniesta missed a lot of last season through injury.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/ballon-dor/player-of-the-year

Sneijder at 5-2 with Ladbrokes looks a decent punt.
    I agree it does look like a decent punt, but I highly doubt he'll win it because spain won the world cup.

That said, I think he deserves his, and he was also who I voted for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Mesut Ozil
    I gave it to Muller he was huge for both Bayern and Germany and had a great season overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

David Villa
    Diego Milito... oh, wait.

Walter Samuel... oh, wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

David Villa
    Sneijdeeeeer? Sneijdeeeeer?

ITS PRONOUNCED CHOWDER!

5990538_std.jpg

Andres Iniesta
    Diego Milito... oh, wait.

Walter Samuel... oh, wait.

Sorry Mr.Moratti :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mesut Ozil
    I gave it to Muller he was huge for both Bayern and Germany and had a great season overall

Went the same way. As good as Muller was in the world cup and in winning the Golden boot at the world cup, his form at club level was arguably even better, and he maintained his form for the season.

David Villa
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Went the same way. As good as Muller was in the world cup and in winning the Golden boot at the world cup, his form at club level was arguably even better, and he maintained his form for the season.
    He really did have an outstanding world cup, quality finisher imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mesut Ozil
    Another vote for Muller for much the same reasons..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thomas Muller
    It will be between Xavi, Messi and Sneijder I reckon. Good arguments can be made for all three. I'd go Messi personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

David Villa
    Has to be Sneijder. Great year for Inter and a good campaign for Holland where he brought them to the Final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

David Villa
    peabutler wrote: »
    Gyan- African's number one player in the continents most important year footballing wise.

:D:D:D:D:D

Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Yaya Toure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lionel Messi
    Maicon! Treble winner and top class at the World Cup. Goal against North Korea was beautiful ...if he meant it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Xavi - Poor mans Scholes all the same
    :pac:

He had some year and was better than anybody else IMO.

Andres Iniesta
    :D:D:D:D:D

Eto'o, Drogba, Essien, Yaya Toure?

Aye but this year, Essien and Yaya are out Drogs and Etoo had poor World Cup, Gyan brought his best stuff to the show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Didier Drogba
    evil_seed wrote: »
    Diego Milito

Milito or Ronaldo for me.

David Villa
    Aye but this year, Essien and Yaya are out Drogs and Etoo had poor World Cup, Gyan brought his best stuff to the show.

Drogba was carrying an injury and still managed a man of the match performance in the group stages, it's not that he had a poor world cup, his team did.

Andres Iniesta
    DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Drogba was carrying an injury and still managed a man of the match performance in the group stages, it's not that he had a poor world cup, his team did.

And as Talisman and Captain some of the stick has to lie with him, If his injury was affecting his performance he should have done right by the team and pulled out, better a squad of 23 fit going into a world cup than 22 1/2.

David Villa
    And as Talisman and Captain some of the stick has to lie with him, If his injury was affecting his performance he should have done right by the team and pulled out, better a squad of 23 fit going into a world cup than 22 1/2.
    Not if that half is drogba tbh.

Considering he only played two full matches and came on as a sub in the first.

The second match was a game against brazil that he scored a goal in, and the third was against korea in which he got man of the match.

Not a bad performance from the team considering they were in a group with portugal and brazil tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thomas Muller
    Messi is the best player on the planet. Its not his fault that Maradona likes to play Championship wingers at full back and only one true central midfielder.

• Advertisement

David Villa
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Messi is the best player on the planet. Its not his fault that Maradona likes to play Championship wingers at full back and only one true central midfielder.
    Gutierrez is in the premiership my good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Thomas Muller
    Gutierrez is in the premiership my good man.
    Not when Maradona was managing Argentina he wasn't.

Though you're probably pedantic enough to try and claim that they'd already won promotion... meh.

David Villa
    yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Not when Maradona was managing Argentina he wasn't.

Though you're probably pedantic enough to try and claim that they'd already won promotion... meh.
    Sorry, should have said he didn't deserve to be in the Championship.

He is a good player, not a great player, but he suited argentinas style under maradona and had a few good games there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Xavi
    Ballon b'Oards <--- Nicely done..

David Villa for me.. Mad choice, but I'm sticking with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Wesley Sneijder
    Picked Schwinshteigerneigerflyger.

Shoulda picked Sneijder, though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Thomas Muller
    Why so many picking Sneijder ahead of Xavi? I wouldn't begrudge Sneijder the win but i think Xavi was the better player of the two over the season, all things considered. Also, Sneijder played in two of the most negative, boring teams i have ever had the misfortune of watching last season, so he wouldn't get my vote.

• Advertisement

David Villa
    Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Why so many picking Sneijder ahead of Xavi? I wouldn't begrudge Sneijder the win but i think Xavi was the better player of the two over the season, all things considered. Also, Sneijder played in two of the most negative, boring teams i have ever had the misfortune of watching last season, so he wouldn't get my vote.

Boring? i loved watching inter play football, very good team tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

David Villa
    Boring? i loved watching inter play football, very good team tbh.

Yup same, they didn't dominate possesion but they could absorb wave after wave and had a lightning fast counter attack with Sneijder the key piece of the play.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Asamoah Gyan

He did have a very good world cup, yet its debatable whether Gyan was Africas best player this year never mind the worlds. Drogba had an unbelievable season, 37 goals in 44 appearances is unreal, and if Ivory Coast had have got an easier group in the WC, and if Drogba was fully fit he would have really shone.
    Theres no way Gyan was the best player in the world this year , I personally wouldnt even have him in the nominations

Andres Iniesta
    Jordonvito wrote: »
    He did have a very good world cup, yet its debatable whether Gyan was Africas best player this year never mind the worlds. Drogba had an unbelievable season, 37 goals in 44 appearances is unreal, and if Ivory Coast had have got an easier group in the WC, and if Drogba was fully fit he would have really shone.
    Theres no way Gyan was the best player in the world this year , I personally wouldnt even have him in the nominations

Have to disagree, I though Gyan was the best Player in every game he played at the WC. He was strong,fast and tucked away some chances. He impressed me more than Sneijder,Ronaldo,Drogba etc who I thought failed to really show up (Sneijder was good but not his best). I think people overlook Gyan as just a goal getter but he does so much more for a team than that. He man handles defences and I'm sure that at a big team he would be the worlds most devastating Striker bar None.

Gyan fan club Out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

David Villa
    Have to disagree, I though Gyan was the best Player in every game he played at the WC. He was strong,fast and tucked away some chances. He impressed me more than Sneijder,Ronaldo,Drogba etc who I thought failed to really show up (Sneijder was good but not his best). I think people overlook Gyan as just a goal getter but he does so much more for a team than that. He man handles defences and I'm sure that at a big team he would be the worlds most devastating Striker bar None.

Gyan fan club Out.

Gyan had a nothing season at club level, knocked in a couple of penalties and then choked when it really mattered. Now he's warming the bench at Sunderland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

David Villa

Gyan fan club Out.

Pity he missed that peno to send Ghana through to the semi's. He was average at best for Rennes last season but he did have a great WC though sadly he will be remembered for 2 things in the WC. The goal against the USA and the peno miss.

Andres Iniesta
    Gyan had a nothing season at club level, knocked in a couple of penalties and then choked when it really mattered. Now he's warming the bench at Sunderland.

He's a new signing at Sunderland who really hasn't been given much of a chance when he has he has looked dangerous. For Rennes last year he played very little and scored quite a few I do think (not sure), his game is more than just scoring though, I saw him play twice last year I think and both times he physically dismantled to good French defences and was involved in goals. As for the penalty can you call that choking, it took balls to take that penalty and I seem tor ecall he scored one in the shootout after, that's not choking in my belief.

David Villa
    He's a new signing at Sunderland who really hasn't been given much of a chance when he has he has looked dangerous. For Rennes last year he played very little and scored quite a few I do think (not sure), his game is more than just scoring though, I saw him play twice last year I think and both times he physically dismantled to good French defences and was involved in goals. As for the penalty can you call that choking, it took balls to take that penalty and I seem tor ecall he scored one in the shootout after, that's not choking in my belief.

I'm not saying he's a bad player or that he won't go on to have a great career, just that in 2010 there were about 50 players who had better years than him.
    And yes, missing a penalty under pressure is the definition of choking in my book. Roberto Baggio was my favourite player of all time, but there's no getting away from the fact he choked in '94 (after a fantastic World Cup).

Andres Iniesta
    I'm not saying he's a bad player or that he won't go on to have a great career, just that in 2010 there were about 50 players who had better years than him.
    And yes, missing a penalty under pressure is the definition of choking in my book. Roberto Baggio was my favourite player of all time, but there's no getting away from the fact he choked in '94 (after a fantastic World Cup).

Suppose that were we disagree, I think he was in the top 5 players in 2010 and I've given him my number one, maybe for sentiment or what have you but I and 2 others have made Gyan number one so be it. As for Choking I really disagree with that for two reasons

i) The Penalty he missed was a good penalty, it was pure and utter bad luck that he hit the crossbar, he didn't scuff it to the keeper or boot it wide he stepped up and smacked a cracker of the bar.

ii) About 3 minutes later he stepped up in a Penalty shootout and slotted into the back of the net. That takes so much bottle it cannot be described, he has just missed a penalty that would have took his side to the WC semi Final, any normal man or player would have been mentally fried, it takes a special frame of mind and a special player to then step up again and put it in.

David Villa

i) The Penalty he missed was a good penalty, it was pure and utter bad luck that he hit the crossbar, he didn't scuff it to the keeper or boot it wide he stepped up and smacked a cracker of the bar.

I'll have to stop you there... missing the target from 11 metres cannot, under any circumstances, be described as a good penalty. It's a huge target, he's a professional footballer and he missed it. There's no such thing as luck when you can't get the basic step of placing the ball within the parameters of the goal right. Anyway, agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Why can't I vote for Paddy McCourt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Samuel Eto'o
    Went for Drogba, not that its gonna matter :pac:

I think Messi should get it though. Sneijder 2nd and Iniesta 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Wesley Sneijder
    ii) About 3 minutes later he stepped up in a Penalty shootout and slotted into the back of the net. That takes so much bottle it cannot be described, he has just missed a penalty that would have took his side to the WC semi Final, any normal man or player would have been mentally fried, it takes a special frame of mind and a special player to then step up again and put it in.

Its player of the year not mentally strong player of the year. Fair enough it took a lot of courage to do it, dosn't change the fact that he did nothing at club level you said yourself he hardly played. A World Cup should not win you player of the year. Even then he wasn't the best player at the World Cup, Muller was better and he was brilliant at club level.

Take your love of Gyan out and you will realise he is an average player that had a good world cup.

Andres Iniesta
    Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Its player of the year not mentally strong player of the year. Fair enough it took a lot of courage to do it, dosn't change the fact that he did nothing at club level you said yourself he hardly played. A World Cup should not win you player of the year. Even then he wasn't the best player at the World Cup, Muller was better and he was brilliant at club level.

Take your love of Gyan out and you will realise he is an average player that had a good world cup.

Well 12 in 29 is hardly nothing but compared to others I can see your point, It's your opinion as to the best player at the World Cup, i'd say Oezil was the best German but I reckon for the sheer fact that Gyan more or less took his team by the scruff of the neck and took them inches away from the Semi Final he was the best player.

I don't love Gyan, I really like him because at two World Cups he has brought his A game, that's alot more than can be said about some of the world's perceived stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Asamoah Gyan
    Well 12 in 29 is hardly nothing but compared to others I can see your point, It's your opinion as to the best player at the World Cup, i'd say Oezil was the best German but I reckon for the sheer fact that Gyan more or less took his team by the scruff of the neck and took them inches away from the Semi Final he was the best player.

I don't love Gyan, I really like him because at two World Cups he has brought his A game, that's alot more than can be said about some of the world's perceived stars.

This is a good point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement