Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runny bumbums! **Warning poopoo questions!! ***

Options
  • 27-10-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! My GR has soft/runny poo again today instead of the usual nuggets :pac: - it's happening at least once a week :( I haven't given him anything new and he hasn't been munching on anything in the park etc BUT I did get him Burns duck and rice in place of Burns lamb and rice a few weeks ago and mixed it in gradually. Could the different flavour/variety be causing him problems - he's on mostly duck flavour now? When he gets it I give him RC sensitivity until the poos look normal then gradually mix in the Burns over a few days. But I seem to be going around in circles the last few weeks - after being back on the Burns for a few days it all goes horribly wrong!:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I found the pork and potato the most effective of all the flavours in Burns but if you find your dog is reacting better to RC sensativitiy then perhaps try the RC sensativity dry food I think you can get it in larger bags, zooplus.co.uk might have it.

I find the pork and potato flavour works best with my lot, they are ok on the other flavours but it's the most solid on the p&p but every dog differs so it might just be the RC suits your pooch better. It's a bit more expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks! I dont want to give him the RC because it's fish flavour and stinks!! :D I give him the wet cans of duck and rice when we need to. He goes to daycare twice a week and I think that the chopping and changing between the food there (Luath) and the food at home may be a factor too so I may try him on what he gets there and see how he gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

tk123 wrote: »
    Thanks! I dont want to give him the RC because it's fish flavour and stinks!! :D I give him the wet cans of duck and rice when we need to. He goes to daycare twice a week and I think that the chopping and changing between the food there (Luath) and the food at home may be a factor too so I may try him on what he gets there and see how he gets on.

A lot of switching can upset a sensitive belly - maybe you could ask day care to feed him the same food you are giving him at home (and supply it for them) so that he is only on one food. Also, because you are feeding a wet food his poos might just be generally a bit softer than if he was on all dry. I find that if I give my guys a tin, even if ti is a good quality food, their poo can be a bit softer than normal. Burns is great for sensitive bellies so stick with it and see how he gets on long term!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would chat to your Vet as he may have an underlying problem. If you feed him first thing then he won't need food during the day so you can stick to a consistent diet.

I had some friends round & we got an Indian takeaway. One person ordered a curry that was so hot that none of us could cope. We ended up leaving a lot of it. In the morning I discovered that my Greyhound had managed to get to the bin in the kitchen & had eaten the lot - she had emptied the water bowl. All day I expected an explosion but it had no effect !.

Disaster this morning I left him in his crate with his breakfast kong while I had a shower and next thing he was making chewbaca sounds = "I need you to help me please!!". Came down and lets just say it wasn't pretty! I'll take him to the vets today. He was actually there yesterday about one of his paws and I didn't even mention it because I thought we had it under control - the RC usually stops in it's tracks! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah TK, he prob has a tummy bug. My 2 had something similar few weeks back, but it was just runny bum. I gave them pro kolin and light feeds and they were fine within a day or 2.

Sure see what the vet says anyway. If hes in good form otherwise its prob just something thats running through him.

Hope hes better soon.:)

Sake!! I always forget to add the prokolin to my medicanimal order andreac!! Like EVERY time I order I forget it lol! I didn't even spot I'd forgotten it this time until it wasn't in the box yesterday - i always get sidetracked looking at toys etc and forget what I went on the site for! :rolleyes::pac: At least we weren't charged for the paw yesterday so I'm not out of pocket!! I have issues i think - because he's there so often I feel a bit thick sometimes like i'm being over protective so don't always ask everything I want to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

It's probably the change in food. Even a slight change within the same brand can cause an upset, which I discovered was the case with my lurcher. What I recommend is that you feed your dog some rice and sweet potato in with his dry food for a couple of days and that should firm up his poo. Works a treat on my little one. I believe that a dog should have a good, varied and healthy, fresh diet, just like humans... so I think adding rice and some veg could really benefit him. I mix it up by adding rice, sweet potato, normal potato, chickpeas, peas, beans, broccoli, sprouts and other such things to my dog's food and he LOVES it! :) His poop seems a lot healthier now, a better consistency and colour. It shouldn't be solid or runny, it should be soft and easy for him to do, but still well formed enough for you to pick up easily!

Ah my poor baba - he's decided the front garden is his new poopoo place - there's an overgrown flowebed at the side of the drive. I have to keep finding things to put in the bins so I can casually let him out just in case he needs to go! :pac:

Advertisement