Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming in the UK - cheaper with a UK sim card?

Options
  • 27-10-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

I'm spending a lot of time in the uk these days, and was wondering if it's cheaper just to use a UK sim and not worry about roaming, rather than having an extra 100euro on my bill from 02 when I come home?

Which network would be best in UK for this, for cheap data usage?

regards
    Neuro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭flipall

If you had a phone with 3 you wouldn't get charged any roaming charges for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

+1
    3 is the way to go, just make sure your on the 3 UK network when making calls. Data is also included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

So, I just buy a 3 sim here, and use the network on 3 over there. Is there a catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your getting pretty big bills look at Ultimate Flex max, 95 euro all in(85 sim only), will cover all calls for UK & Ireland and give you 4gb of Data.
    Only catch is your probably tied into o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I'm spending a lot of time in the uk these days, and was wondering if it's cheaper just to use a UK sim and not worry about roaming, rather than having an extra 100euro on my bill from 02 when I come home?

Which network would be best in UK for this, for cheap data usage?

regards
    Neuro

I had a great O2 UK deal earlier this year. I bought a phone from them (somethign like £20 basic phone) and topped up with £10. You then call O2 and ask to switch to a different tariff called Your Country. Basically for topping up by £10 they give you free, 50 International minutes ! So you can call home using those 50 mins and you still have the £10 to spend on calls locally or wherever.

Top up by £20 and you get 100mins

Top up by £30 and you get 200mins for the month !

It is really very very good. I was able to call Australia out of those 200 mins !

Here is the page http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/Pay_and_Go

As i have Meteor I could receive calls free and use the uk phone to phone back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Switch to vodafone. Better than o2 and 3 (I am with o2) and you get vodafone passport for free. No roaming charges in UK or NI. Calls are free to receive and you pay normal rates to phone home. (obviously with the EU directive on roaming charges, texts are free to receive and capped at 13c each).

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

Crasp wrote: »
    Switch to vodafone. Better than o2 and 3 (I am with o2) and you get vodafone passport for free. No roaming charges in UK or NI. Calls are free to receive and you pay normal rates to phone home. (obviously with the EU directive on roaming charges, texts are free to receive and capped at 13c each).

However calls made are not part of your bundle, whereas with 3, they would be. PLUS there's per minute charging so if you are on the phone for 61 secs, it's billed as 2 mins. My preference is 3

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

Crasp wrote: »

However calls made are not part of your bundle, whereas with 3, they would be. PLUS there's per minute charging so if you are on the phone for 61 secs, it's billed as 2 mins. My preference would be 3 if you are confident of being within 3 coverage all the time.

Advertisement