Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Evening Classes in Dublin

Options
  • 27-10-2010 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm interested in learning programming properly. I've done bits myself just messing around with some C++, VBA, Ruby, Java and trying Project Euler puzzles but I keep finding I hit a wall doing it by myself so I'm at a very basic level in them all.

When I go through one set of tutorials it takes me to a certain level, but it's hard to find another set of tutorials starting from that level, which leaves either a big gap or needless overlaps.

So, are there any good programming evening courses in Dublin? What sort of price range would a decent course be? Are they worth it or is it best just self learning?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

gerry87 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm interested in learning programming properly. I've done bits myself just messing around with some C++, VBA, Ruby, Java and trying Project Euler puzzles but I keep finding I hit a wall doing it by myself so I'm at a very basic level in them all.

When I go through one set of tutorials it takes me to a certain level, but it's hard to find another set of tutorials starting from that level, which leaves either a big gap or needless overlaps.

What level do you get to?

Most people probably learn to program by just doing progressively harder programming. Like, in college, they have classes, but its when trying to complete harder and harder assignments that they actually learn.

Working on a project you think is fun (small video game?) and gradually building features onto it is a good way to learn and get confident.

If you get stuck on a problem, an online forum, like this one, can also be a big help - post up the problem and ask for advice, and you can learn something from how other people get past the bottleneck.
    gerry87 wrote: »
    So, are there any good programming evening courses in Dublin? What sort of price range would a decent course be? Are they worth it or is it best just self learning?

Thanks

'I don't know' is the honest answer to this - but I'd be surprised if there were much in the way of good programming courses, outside of university (and even some of these are questionable).
    I'm sure there's programming courses, but I've never really seen anything that would be helpful through the intermediate stages of programming, just not sure we have that in Dublin.

I should point out, that theres some great US university programming courses on youtube and itunes university.
    eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMzH3tfP6f8
    its hard to go wrong with the actual stanford lecture series! Course materials are on the web somewhere, too.

If you were stuck after this, maybe try and find a good programmer to give you the occasional tutorial session? Have someone talk you through how to get past bottlenecks you hit, talk about how they approach problems, what you should be learning etc.

I've often wondered if there'd be interest in something like that in Dublin - sort of advanced programming tutoring - but never heard or did anything about it - maybe theres something out there I dont know.

Advertisement