Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flamingos?

Options
  • 27-10-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

On the lake? Anyone?

Edit: Anyone know what they are there for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

keep the swans company

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

keep the swans company
    They aren't real flamingos... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

"SU wrote:
    Anyone spotted some unusual pink characters that have descended upon the UCD lake?? This week we have teamed up with Ballygowan Pink in support of the B Part Of It campaign. Tomorrow the B part Of It team will be on campus encouraging you all to show your support for Breast Cancer Awareness and write a message of support on Facebook.com/BpartOfIt.

They're also giving out free bottles of ballygowan under the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ah, but do the swans know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I would pay to see a swan fighting one of the flamingoes tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

My theory is that they are to keep the seagulls away, haven't seen a single gull and yet the ducks/swans are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

My theory is that they are to keep the seagulls away, haven't seen a single gull and yet the ducks/swans are still there.
    The gulls have been hiding on top of the Tierney building. The second someone threw a piece of bread into the lake, about 20 of them appeared out of nowhere and started shítting everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

They're for booby cancer awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

wait, do the swans have breast cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Overature wrote: »
    wait, do the swans have breast cancer?

Yes. They're hoping the lake water will kill the cancerous cells. I think its a research project the health science centre are running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I've noticed a complete lack of those annoying gulls since they put them in though. Its amazing those gulls, like a territorial pack of gurriers, just waiting for a careless slip of a crumb.

On a serious note, watch them some day, they have a little patch each in front of each bench which they control with a winged fist.

Back on thread, I presume its installation art of some sort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UCDSU

This week UCDSU have teamed up with Ballygowan Pink in support of the B Part Of It campaign as part of Womens Week.

The Pink Flamingos are part of this campaign to raise awareness...

The B part Of It team are around campus encouraging you all to show your support for Breast Cancer Awareness and write a message of support on Facebook.com/BpartOfIt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm not exactly sure how putting flamingo statues up raises awareness of breast cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

Really?
    I've always found that Flamingos and breast cancer are like peas and carrots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Davidius wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure how putting flamingo statues up raises awareness of breast cancer.

Everyone knows that breast cancer is the leading cause of death in flamingos.

Duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

Davidius wrote: »

Unless there's some sort of symbolic meaning that I'm missing, I would have thought the point was just to get people talking about it, and thus, raising awareness of the campaign. Which it seems to have done pretty well, and much more effectively than a bland poster would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Moshimoshi wrote: »
    Unless there's some sort of symbolic meaning that I'm missing, I would have thought the point was just to get people talking about it, and thus, raising awareness of the campaign. Which it seems to have done pretty well, and much more effectively than a bland poster would have.

It's because they're pink.. Pink is the colour of breast cancer campaigns and of ballygowan's marie keating foundation bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

muffinman wrote: »
    It's because they're pink.. Pink is the colour of breast cancer campaigns and of ballygowan's marie keating foundation bottles

In fairness, pink flamingos and water bottles don't make me immediately think of breast cancer, no more than the odd facebook status of 'I like it on the floor' or last year's one which stated the colour of girls' underwear.

I've already ranted about this in R&R, but I think that money could be better spent on raising awareness (and this is coming from someone who's recently lost a close family member due to cancer (not breast cancer)). And even though pink may be associated with the breast cancer awareness campaign, there's very little info provided during the campaign as to how to go about checking for lumps or what to do if a lump is found.

Advertisement