Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this router do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

if u have certain intel cards - wireless N wont work due to the 2.4ghz only. The intel card only allows for 5ghz .

Mine is the same. A friend had one of these...my laptop can only connect in g to it even though its N compatible....very strange problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Cheers, I think most of the devices I have are non-N but surely this shouldn't matter? I just thought this router was quite cheap and maybe if I did end up getting some devices that were wireless N then it would be handy.

Will it work fine even if there's only a G network running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

SK1979 wrote: »
    Cheers, I think most of the devices I have are non-N but surely this shouldn't matter? I just thought this router was quite cheap and maybe if I did end up getting some devices that were wireless N then it would be handy.

Will it work fine even if there's only a G network running?

As far as i know it should work once you can run and ethernet cable from ur modem to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Yes it will work fine, plus England uses the same voltages, sockets and wireless frequencies as us so there are absolutely no issues you need to worry about.

Additionally most N gear is 2.4GHz and sometimes 5GHz as well, its rare to have 5GHz only gear and I would be guessing its old hardware from before N was standardized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

SK1979 wrote: »

Everything on the network will need to be N, or it will only work at G speeds. Even then, N can quickly drop to G speed if conditions are not ideal (and they are pretty much never ideal). N doesn't really bring much to the table.

It should work fine at G speeds, though I don't know anything about that particular router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Cheers guys. I think I'll have a go with this router. I think all the devices on the network will be G devices (iphone 3GS's, laptops, printer and radio) so I'm not too bothered about N speeds.

Linksys is still a reliable make isn't it?

Just one other noob question. To connect this to the ECP 2425, its just an ethernet cable. Which device should I run the wired devices to? I have a PS3 and Xbox wired currently, should I connect their ethernet cables to the new router or leave them to the existing modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Everything should connect to the new router.

Advertisement