Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 months - addicted to his Daddy!

Options
  • 27-10-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Help please!!
    My little boy of 18 months is addicted to his daddy. He won't leave him alone for a minute - clinging on to his leg, crying outside the bathroom door if daddy goes to the loo, hanging off the chair if daddy sits down!
    When daddy is out of the house he's perfectly happy around me and playing with his toys, but as soon as daddy appears I'm forgotten about - I can't change his nappy or anything without him shouting for daddy!
    He goes to creche 5 days a week so he's quite independent and not normally the clingy type!
    It's getting beyond a joke because my hubby is not very well and in a lot of pain at the moment and I can't get the little man to do anything for me!
    Any suggestions? :confused:
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Erm...maybe when the dad comes in from work for them to spend a bit of time, maybe half an hour, together? Maybe it's an insecurity thing?

Other than that try and distract the child when the dad leaves the room, difficult I know, they're observant little critters.

Our 18month year old can be like that sometimes too, but sometimes it's me he clings too, sometimes it's his dad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is pretty normal if daddy is gone all day and he doesn't see him as much as he sees you or maybe he knows daddy isn't too well and that is why he won't let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭Speak Now

My daughter was like this for a while, now it's more go away Daddy i want Mammy. You'll get tired of that as well :) How long has this phase being going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Thanks for your replies.
    Jerry - in answer to your question- he's always been mad about his daddy but it's gotten obsessive in the past week or so.
    I don't think there has been much of change to routine and my hubby does spend a good amount of time playing with him when he gets home.
    Maybe Moonbeam is right and he can sense that my hubby's not well.
    Of course - as soon as he falls or bangs himself off the door he wants Mummy for cuddles :) - but the rest of the time it's "Daddy daddy daddy!" :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sorry to hear your hubby is not well, hope it all works out.
    Sounds like Daddy for fun and mammy for cuddles, wouldn't be that untypical.
    Wait til number 2 comes ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement