Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bar on the South Mall

Options
  • 27-10-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Anyone know if the new bar on the mall is any good and does it serve food?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Saw it when passing the other day. Electric I think is the name. ?
    looked fab. Good luck to anyone opening in " THESE TIMES " !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it will serve food, but not yet. they're testing the kitchens this week I think.

I popped in last week for a quick look - it's a nice clean new bar. they had tons of staff on and there was a good mixed crowd in.

I found it a little pokey and cramped for walking around, but I'm a cranky old man so ymmv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Past it over the weekend and it seemed like the gardaí didn't have a problem with about 40/50 people from inside there bringing their drinks out to the park area next to it

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I think the same guys that have Sober Lane are running it. If so it will do very well no doubt.

Was there for the Jazz on Sunday night. Had a number of teething issues such as no running water for the sinks(provided pampers baby wipes), they ran out of glasses and not enough toilets for the ladies.

Still tho I'd say this will be the place to be during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Gawd. You gotta respect anyone opening a bar in this economy :) Or test 'em for mind altering substances!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Whereabouts on the Mall is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it's at the Grand Parade end, the last building before you come to the pedestrian bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

They are very active on Facebook & Twitter. Some pictures of the place on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cork/Electric/147934691894604?v=wall

http://twitter.com/ElectricCork

There is a mini competition on on both to win a meal for 4 this week while they trial the restuarant.

I've no affiliation with the place but as others have said it's a brave move opening a bar at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How much is a pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Is it the old bar that used to be called the Office? If so then I think that the owners of Sober Lane do indeed also own it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

D-Generate wrote: »
    Is it the old bar that used to be called the Office? If so then I think that the owners of Sober Lane do indeed also own it.

I think it was an ACC bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I think it was an ACC bank.

Sober Lane is where the office used be. Electric is located at the ACC premises. Both are Ernest Cantillon's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

In there over the weekend. Great spot but some issues to deal with. Seems like it was opened in a rush to meet the Jazz weekend deadline. No Murphys upstairs!!?

The rooftop terrace was very nice, but I do have an issue with using the public space on the walkway and next to the war memorial as an openair drinking spot!

Both are Ernest Cantillon's.

True, although when Sober Lane opened up it was claimed that his son was the proprietor, at the time he was early 20s, likely story.
    but I do have an issue with using the public space on the walkway and next to the war memorial as an openair drinking spot!

Good point, not on really, I reckon it will be a right knob hole of a place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

RoverJames wrote: »
    True, although when Sober Lane opened up it was claimed that his son was the proprietor, at the time he was early 20s, likely story.

Good point, not on really, I reckon it will be a right knob hole of a place anyway.

The son is also called Ernest Cantillon.

evilivor wrote: »
    The son is also called Ernest Cantillon.

True, however Ernest Senior owns the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Ernests son is also called Ernest.. maybe this is where the confusion lies ..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

RoverJames wrote: »
    True, however Ernest Senior owns the bar.

Ernest Sr might have provided financial backing, but it's all Ernest Jr's work. He's the one who runs everything.

Faith wrote: »
    Ernest Sr might have provided financial backing, but it's all Ernest Jr's work. He's the one who runs everything.

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Now if he would just pay the people that provided the decorations etc things would look much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

'Electric' was definitely the place to be during the jazz. The atmosphere was fantastic, I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

How much is a pint?

My best effort to answer that question was that the Gin & Tonic I bought was was €8.20 which is extremely expensive. It was the only drink I bought there, that was on the night they opened.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dermighty wrote: »
    My best effort to answer that question was that the Gin & Tonic I bought was was €8.20 which is extremely expensive. It was the only drink I bought there, that was on the night they opened.

Bloody hell thats expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Dermighty wrote: »

Even in Rip-Off-Republic, is that not taking the Michael? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

Was there the Sunday night of the Jazz weekend,really nicely laid out,nice open plan design,but the music was v similar to the Long Island which personally made me want to stick pins in my ear drums.Plus apparently the queues for the loos were ridiculous and no water to wash your hands.....:eek:But since it was a rush to get the place opened hopefully that situation won't be a regular problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Nice spot and will deffo go there again. Ernest is a nice fella and I like both Electric and Sober Lane. AFAIK, the guy from ontap.ie is involved also. Main issue I have with the place is the toilets lay out. Grand for fellas, but the wimminz have every right to be annoyed with them.

Think they are opening a restaurant as part of it as well.

As for the beer garden by the memorial, big meh. It will be great during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Beamish was around €3.85 I think.

Advertisement