Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maybe starting a Photography Club?

Options
  • 27-10-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey :)
    I was searching for a Photography club to join and the only good club seems to be the Ballincollig Camera Club @ http://ballincolligcameraclub.ie/wordpress/
    These guys are really nice but maybe a little to mature for me :P (I'm 22)
    so what I was thinking of was starting a new "very basic" Photography club where enthusiasts of photography and even people just learning could meet up and share some tips, get to know each other and maybe start a meet up and shoot day.
    Just something really casual so people with a similar interest can meet and discuss various subjects :)
    anyways its just a thought.
    If you like the idea PM me

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Surely joining an existing club with some "mature" aka experienced members, would be preferable to starting one with "young" people only and not an ounce of experience between you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Join up and maybe you can encourage more young people to join also. Some of those mature members might even be "younger thinking" people than yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I see where you are coming from on this and I did just what you are thinking about last month.

We set up a group not a club on the basis of helping each other. We only have about 5 or 6 competent photographers among us. We got 28 on our first night and feel if we can maintain a number of about 17 - 23 we will be doing very well. We had our first field trip 2 weeks ago which was very succesful and this Sunday have our second. We bring our images (5) on a disc and show them to the rest of the group and get some feedback. Its pretty simple but after 3 meetings it is working for us.

We are not competitive and our aim is to keep the group as much social as we can. We also want to help the beginners get a grasp of the basics, take them on field trips and show them a few tips.

However the people on Boards are most helpful and gave some good advice. There does need to be a structure of some sort so you can set yourself a target or goal and also cater for the needs of the more experienced members. We are planning a beginners course for January and up to then we will go through some very basic things with the group. The profile of our group goes from 14yrs of ageto 2 O.A.Ps and a good mix in between.

We have also encouraged some to join another club also as we meet every second week.

I will pm you later

Advertisement