Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFH recommendation needed

Options
  • 27-10-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭

We're considering retrofitting UFH in a 3 bed semi in South Dublin. From what I've read, a lot of people recommend doing UFH on both ground and first floors. Mixing rads on the first floor with UFH on ground floor seems like a bit of a conflict when it comes to the water temp needed. It's a suspended wooden floor on the first floor however and the UFH people I've contacted so far are reluctant to try UFH between the joists. Also, on the various fora, there doesn't seem to be any consenus on the Rest configuration of UFH in suspended wooden floors. Rigid insulation on batons nailed to joists appear the norm but then I've seen 20mm screed, sand-screed mix, diffuser plates and more proprietary solutions, and even nothing at all for on top of that. My main requirement for 1st floor UFH would be first of all to have as similar as possible a water temp as the ground floor. Does that depend on the thermal mass or does the amount of thermal mass only affect the reactiveness on the 1st floor? Anyone out there done anything similar and do they have a UFH installer they'd recommend. PM me if you do please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

In our new build we have a mix of underfloor and rads. We are using a buffer tank that can deal with the temperture variations. Our rads are alu-rads which need to be spec'ed larger than the standard but can run at lower temperatures.

We didn't want underfloor upstairs due to the possible issues with controlability in a bedroom situation i.e. if it's too hot it's hard to reduce the temp to a comfortable level in a timely fashion. Also rads lend themselves better to the 'blast of heat' type scenario before going to bed and before getting up.
    And of course the cost!!

Best of luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I'm currently in the middle of renovating a house and we're doing UFH on both floors. We didn't want to go down the route of reinforcing the joists on the first floor so we're putting ply down on the joists, batons across the floor with 30mm foil backed insulation (from www.herotec.de) between the batons and a floating semi solid engineered wood floor on top. The Herotec insulation above has groves in it for the piping.

We looked at the aluminum plates but I was concerned that these would be noisy.

We're in the middle of the build so I can't tell you how successful it'll be yet but this is what I'm planning on doing.

If you PM me I can send you the datasheets I have on the herotec insulation board.

Advertisement