Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carling Cup: Newcastle United v Arsenal [7.30pm SS2]

• 27-10-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

LogoNewcastle.gifVS arsenal-logo.jpg

Preview courtesy of Goal.com
    Goal.com wrote:
    Enjoying The Ride

Newcastle's attitude towards the League Cup was evident as they made 10 changes for their clash with Chelsea last time out, a thrilling match they won 4-3 thanks to Shola Ameobi's last-gasp winner.

While the club's priority this season is to stay in the Premier League, the momentum of a good cup run could build confidence around St James' Park as they look for their first ever League Cup triumph.

Newcastle have played Arsenal more than any other club and have won 65 of the 165 matches between the sides – one more than Wednesday's visitors.

But the Magpies have not beaten the Gunners in a cup tie since the 1952 FA Cup Final when George Robledo scored the only goal of the game.

Time For A Trophy

Arsene Wenger named a surprisingly strong team as Arsenal won 4-1 at bitter rivals Tottenham last time out in this competition.

It is over five years since the Gunners won a trophy and while the League Cup is far from top of their priority list, Wenger's attitude so far suggests that he sees it as a real chance to win silverware this season.

Arsenal are unbeaten in their last seven cup matches against Newcastle and have never conceded a goal in any of the four previous League Cup ties between the sides.

That will bolster Wenger's confidence of progressing to the fifth round – the stage at which his team have been knocked out the competition in the last two seasons.

TEAM NEWS

Newcastle United

Sol Campbell could be handed only his second start for Newcastle against his former club as Chris Hughton shuffles his pack following Sunday's win at West Ham.

Defender Campbell hopes to be ready to return from a thigh injury that has kept him out of action for the last 10 days.

Alan Smith is also expected to return to the starting line-up while youngsters Shane Ferguson and Nile Ranger are in contention.

Probable starting XI: Krul; R Taylor, Coloccini, Campbell, Ferguson; Routledge, Guthrie, Smith, Lovenkrands; Ranger, Ameobi.

Arsenal

Theo Walcott is set to make his first start in an Arsenal shirt since August as Arsene Wenger's side travel to St James' Park.

The England winger has featured as a substitute in the Gunners' last two games after returning from an ankle injury suffered on England duty against Switzerland in September.

Nicklas Bendtner is also set for a starting role after he came off the bench to score the final goal in Sunday's 3-0 win at Manchester City, but the clash comes too soon for goalkeeper Manuel Almunia (elbow).

Carlos Vela is ready to be handed a rare start but Jack Wilshere is serving the second game of a three-match suspension.

Probable starting XI: Fabianski; Eboue, Djourou, Koscielny, Gibbs; Denilson, Diaby, Rosicky; Walcott, Bendtner, Vela

It's looking like Wenger is attempting to marry some experience with youth here as it looks like he's blending both experienced first teamers, reserves and promising youth teamers into a Carling Cup side that previously would only have had the Youths.

It's a bit of a signal of intent tbh and I say why not; Manchester United would appear to be the only big danger left and it's high time Arsenal built on their recent good runs in the Carling Cup and won it. It'd be good to get a trophy winning mentality back even if it is only the Reserve/kiddie/mickey mouse cup.

I'd imagine the line up will be something along the lines of;

Szcesney

Eboue - Koscielny - Djourou - Gibbs

Diaby - Rosicky - Lansbury

Vela - Bendtner - Walcott

Or at least that's what I'd like to see.

I'd be more than hopeful we can take the magpies even in St James.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sunday's game against West Ham?
    Campbell is injured....

Goal.com - Bah.

But anyway, our history in this cup is absolutely woeful.

Our home form is absolutely dreadful this season and won't be made any easier against the opposition tonight.

Still, could be a good game but we'll need to be on our toes tonight if we're to get anything from the game.

And btw OP, could ya not have gotten a better picture of our crest? :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wenger said Szczesny starts so that's one obvious inaccuracy in Goal's predicted Arsenal line-up. I'm not sure about Diaby's fitness either so that might open the door for Lansbury (or someone else, as Wenger has yet to trust Henri with a CM role)...

I'm really looking forward to this. The Carling Cup is always entertaining and Newcastle away is quite the glamour tie. Plenty at stake for both sides with so many big teams already eliminated too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

While I'm usually happy to see the kids get a run out in the CC this year I'm happy to see we are playnig some first team players too. A trophy, any trophy, will be much appreciated at this stage.

I can see this line up for us.

Krul

R Taylor
    Colo
    Kadar
    Ferguson

Xisco/Vuckic
    Smith
    Guthrie
    Routledge

Lovenkrands
    Ranger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Looking forward to this. Should be a good game. Newcastle have some decent young'uns, as do Arsenal of course.

Looking forward to seeing Lansbury, Emmanuel-Thomas, Ferguson, Vuckic and Ranger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

That_Guy wrote: »
    And btw OP, could ya not have gotten a better picture of our crest? :pac:

Tried to find one smallish enough for both teams.

Argh the sheer effort of these match threads, it wasn't like this back in the day in this forum! :pac:

Fabregas is in the Arsenal squad for tonight apparently. Probably on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fabregas is in the Arsenal squad for tonight apparently. Probably on the bench.

I know we want to win things but risking Fabregas in any shape or form even if it's for 10 mins in a game like this is madness. He is so crucial to how we do in the Premiership.

Hopefully he's only in the squad to do the Captains thing before ko and at ht.

cson wrote: »
    I know we want to win things but risking Fabregas in any shape or form even if it's for 10 mins in a game like this is madness. He is so crucial to how we do in the Premiership.

Relying on one player? That's some statement to make lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We're not going to win the Premiership, Chelsea will steamroller it again imo. So going all out to win the CC and FA Cup is what I like to see.

• Advertisement

He's looked short of match fitness so it could be argued that giving him minutes tonight is a risk worth taking.

I'd keep him on the bench and use if needed.

He's looked short of match fitness so it could be argued that giving him minutes tonight is a risk worth taking.

I'd keep him on the bench and use when needed.

Fixed. Fixed it good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Team according to twitter

Arsenal XI vs Newcastle : Szczesny, Gibbs, Koscielny, Djourou, Eboue, Rosicky, Eastmond, Denilson, Vela, Bendtner, Walcott.

Pretty much as expected although Eastmond is there ahead of Lansbury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Newcastle team...according to Twitter..

Krul, Perch, Williamson, Kadar, Ryan Taylor, Routledge, Guthrie, Smith, Vuckic, Lovenkrands, Ranger.

Krul seems a great `keeper.

Game over already. Perch is playing. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Anyone got a stream for this?

LOL if Walcott gets near Perch. Should be a sight to behold.

Moneymaker wrote: »

Perch is a right back but Jesus I hope himself and Vela don't switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Moneymaker wrote: »

Oh dear, gona turn off now :)

Seriously though, we are being written off here, dont think it will be a stroll for Arsenal. Although if Mr Perch has a bad one tonight he can forget it at this club. I expect he knows that, may be a good thing

On the switch, Taylor is not exactly the best right back. I expect Kadar and Williamson to be busy

Just noticed that Perch is playing at left back. Good fcuking jaysus.

• Advertisement

Wonder why Ferguson isn't playing. Looks a decent young player when i've seen him.

Arsenal to win 3-1 imo.

Just noticed that Perch is playing at left back. Good fcuking jaysus.

Lets get this over with so.....

Oh FFS. What are they playing at??

Asleep, should have scored there

FOOOKKKK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That's gotta be the most shots on target Bendtner has ever had in a whole match. :pac:

Thought that was in.

Sh*te by williamson then great stuff by williamson,

Nice from Vuckic there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

amacachi wrote: »
    That's gotta be the most shots on target Bendtner has ever had in a whole match. :pac:

Was that three inside 5 seconds?

• Advertisement

Any decent streams for this? Sopcast and Veetle are letting me dow. Watching an awful stream atm.

M5 wrote: »
    Was that three inside 5 seconds?

I would've said so, last two were anyway, first one is hard to judge, think it hit the defender's arm.

How have Arsenal not scored yet?

All over the place here. Newcastle need to settle, thought wallcott was fouled there

More than a half chance there, Bendtner hit it with both feet.

Arsenal should've had a couple already, hope it's not gonna be one of those nights. Free for Walcott for nowt there.

Great start by Arsenal, really high tempo stuff, wonder if Arsene wants this in the bag by HT?

• Advertisement

I really want to see the stats so far. :pac:

We can't handle their movement at all. Need to close down quicker.

Ouch, Knee

*waits for "FFS, bad tackles always happens to us" comment*

NO bad tackle there bud

• Advertisement

Maybe come back in a few weeks.

M5 wrote: »
    NO bad tackle there bud

Exactly.

Looks like Denilson lost a bet.

Kadar :rolleyes:

Fcuk me!!!

Yikers, UL twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I can't believe that ranger really should of scored good save for the smith shot though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

He got fingers to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Shocking goalkeeping

To solid teams at the back here:rolleyes: could actually be a great game

• Advertisement
Advertisement