Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT UK SEP 2010 RESULTS

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

This is the funniest thread I've ever read in re: GAMSAT
    If you all get 65s you'll be laughing then!
    At least you have a date to look forward to now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Tifftastic

Here's the reply from GAMSAT:

Thank you for your email. We are very aware of how important GAMSAT is to all those that sit it. Unfortunately we have to remain vague in relation to the release date of results, as annoying as it for candidates. The reason is all related to the essay marking, unlike other tertiary examinations we do not mark the essays by computer we mark them with humans. In an effort to be fair to each person we actually mark your essays a minimum of three times, if we find that the marking is discrepant in any way then we mark again. This process is rather extensive and whilst we do our best to have it completed quickly delays can occur – this year the large increase in candidates has meant this process has taken longer than expected, and we are running a week over schedule. We would rather run late than rush the process and potentially be unfair to those who have spent a great deal of time, money and effort in sitting GAMSAT.

I apologise for the delay and want to reassure you that we do understand your frustration. I will email everyone with a release date and instructions very shortly, hopefully today – rest assured results are imminent, if not this Friday, then next Monday.

Won't be long now then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 p_holmz

Ok... To end the argument and speculations and anxiety.... The results are out tomorrow afternoon at 1pm!!!

Good luck all :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

hello live from RCSI!
    we are all sitting here waiting to read the results!! please post to fill up our lunchtime!!

Good luck!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I got a 64!!!!
    I'm in shock and so delighted! I did for the first time in March and got 55. This time with less study (as I was doing a Masters and finishing my thesis) I got 64! I don't have a science background so all of this feels like a dream.
    Breakdown: 74, 70, 56

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

does anybody have the cut offs from the last 2 years please?

I got 59 so dont know how Im fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 angryman1

st georges cut off is 60 the rest have yet to be released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭colquhom

Hi guys,

I got a 65 yesterday which im delighted with. However, I cant take anything outside of Dublin for financial reasons and Im slightly worried that there was a huge uptake in numbers this year, is there any chance at all that both UCD/RCSI could go 65+? Or am I just being paranoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

I got a 60 and am keeping everything crossed that it will be enough to get me into University of Limerick. Its gonna be a long 9 months!

colquhom wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I got a 65 yesterday which im delighted with. However, I cant take anything outside of Dublin for financial reasons and Im slightly worried that there was a huge uptake in numbers this year, is there any chance at all that both UCD/RCSI could go 65+? Or am I just being paranoid?

you are guaranteed a place in UCD and likely to get one in RCSI ;) feel nervous for me hanging onto Limerick with 59 :)

• Advertisement

Ok guys I just threw this up hopefully to put all our minds at ease. Its the last 3 year breakdown of GAMSAT scores.

if you look at the final scores offered from all the colleges they are broadly the same (this doesnt include 2008 where the GAMSAT was still finding its feet in Ireland). I think there is just a small bit of concern because RCSI went up by a MASSIVE 3 points. but I don't think you'd see that across the board in the 1 year. Unless there is a statistical anomaly its just not possible.

Hope peoples minds are put at ease :)

2010 - Final Round 0
    RC101 63* 64
    DN102 60* 61*
    CK791 59* 60*
    LN101 56* 57*

2009 - Final Round-0
    RC101 60* 61*
    DN102 60* 60*
    CK791 59 59*
    LN101 56* 57*

2008 - Final
    RC101 58
    DN102 57*
    CK791 56*
    LN101 55*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Tifftastic

Well chuffed....I got 72 (69, 73, 73)......still in shock. Glad loads of you who've posted seem to be well on track too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I had a night thinking about my GAMSAT result there. Initially it came as a surprise to see that UK Gamsat had rounded the .5 in my overall score up to the nearest whole number. Last night I concluded that it might be because they just give every section an equal weighting in the UK GAMSAT. Today I checked the UK gamsat website and they say that they weight the sections the same way as Ireland, but my 0.5 from last year's Irish GAMSAT was rounded down.. You know the answer I want, so give that one to me. Don't tell me that when the CAO get their hands on my result they'll take the 3 sections' results and round me down again.

Or that the overall score on the gamsat UK results form is just a score as if all 3 sections were weighted equally.

Yillan wrote: »

Don't tell me that when the CAO get their hands on my result they'll take the 3 sections' results and round me down again.

Hi Yillian,

Has someone implied to you that this was the case? Because as far as I know, all you do is provide the overall UK score to the CAO and they accept it as is. There is no mention of any kind of re-calculation being necessary.

del85 wrote: »
    Hi Yillian,

Has someone implied to you that this was the case? Because as far as I know, all you do is provide the overall UK score to the CAO and they accept it as is. There is no mention of any kind of re-calculation being necessary.

I really don't know where people keep finding that second 'i' in yillan. It keeps happening...

I have not been given any impression to that effect. I'm just concerned about the discrepancy between how the two different systems handle the rounding up and down, considering it is intended to be the same exam providing results which are directly comparable.

I really don't know where people keep finding that second 'i' in yillan. It keeps happening...

I'm blaming my spellchecker...

I have not been given any impression to that effect. I'm just concerned about the discrepancy between how the two different systems handle the rounding up and down, considering it is intended to be the same exam providing results which are directly comparable.

It's a good point, considering an incorrectly rounded decimal could mean the difference between starting first year and repeating the GAMSAT. When a number reaches .5, you round it up- that's Junior Cert maths right there.

Have you considered firing off an email to ACER?

I think I'll just assume that I've got the better score until I hear otherwise. The ignorance is a much happier place to be than what might be the alternative. I was fairly sick last year considering the rounding down might well have cost me a place in UL.

55.5 =/= 56 :(

I think I'll just assume that I've got the better score until I hear otherwise.
    55.5 =/= 56 :(

I got rounded up from 59.5 to 60 in the UK exam, but I cannot imagine the CAO saying "screw what your result sheet says, we're giving you a lower grade anyway".

I doubt you'll have much to worry about.

I'm probably just being a nervous nelly.

Do you reckon you've any chance of UCD with that score? Are you sitting it again?

I'm probably just being a nervous nelly.

You have me a bit freaked too! If they over-ruled my official ACER result and replaced it with one calculated according to their own mad rules, they'd be going to court.
    Do you reckon you've any chance of UCD with that score? Are you sitting it again?

Better safe than sorry, so defo sitting it again. I don't mind where I get in TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

I got rounded down to 64 from 64.5 in the Irish one. I'd put my house on it that CAO won't double check the result though. Just keep hush and hope ACER don't cop it.

All I know is my official result sheet says 60 on it. I don't see how any third party could come along and void that result simply because they felt like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

what are you putting as your number one choice on the cao yillian?

defo dont think any rounding comes into play with the cao, you just email them your gamsat results ticket.

I was set on somewhere in Dublin until very recently and now I'm thinking I might go with UL. The PBL sounds like it might suit me. I've had 5 years of lectures and I didn't feel like I learned all that effectively therein. Another 4 years of the same sitting passively in lecture halls doesn't altogether appeal. A UL faculty member threw me an email about how their system works and it sounded good to me. They sound a bit more personable in the UL medical school aswell. I thought the UCD crowd were a bit cold. Might be all in my own head though.

Are you through the GAMSAT hurdle demolitionman, or have you yet to make your choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MichaelKalinda

Hi Everyone,

Happy New year! Congrats on your scores, hope you were all happy enough with them! ^_^
    I was just wondering if any of you would be up for a chat about the gamsat? Im sitting it in March this year (not really expecting much as I am not coming from a science based degree) but I want to use it as a dry run. It would be fantastic if anyone was up for answering some questions!?

Michael

Advertisement