Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rant about mature students

• 27-10-2010 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

I am developing a strong dislike of mature students at third level. They're so annoying for a number of reasons, including:
    • They always sit in the front rows
    • They always ask the most anal questions
    • They always have the textbook, and pencil case full of stationery and a range of highlighters
    • They always have the require slides printed out for classes
    • They dress in their ancient style of dress.
    I mean why can't they just be a bit more normal and adapt to the environment which they're in? No one wants to know what you think of the concept of Scientific Management or your experience of it in practice.

/Mild rant

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

How dare they come prepared for class and want to learn :rolleyes:

Although i do hate a certain person who always waits til the end of class to ask a question or start a big rant - shut up bitch, i want to leave :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

ILA wrote: »
    a range of highlighters

they just make me feel so inferior...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

You dislike them because they're well prepared and actually appreciate the education they're receiving?

How dare they!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

So your pissed older people are smarter, better prepared and also dressed better than you.

Going to class with no books no pen and wearing your pyjamas is no way to go through life!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Why should they have to be normal? If they're happy doing what they're doing there's no reason to change. You sound like someone in secondary school, not college.

(although it does annoy me when they start talking about their children)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

They're getting a second chance and they're not going to feck it up :p

Trust me, once you leave things can get disappointing and it takes a lot to go back and retrain, if you're committed enough to go that far you should make the most of it.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

I am developing a strong dislike of mature students at third level. They're so annoying for a number of reasons, including:
    • They always have the textbook, and pencil case full of stationery and a range of highlighters
    I mean why can't they just be a bit more normal and adapt to the environment which they're in? No one wants to know what you think of the concept of Scientific Management or your experience of it in practice.

/Mild rant

Whats your point? They are eager to learn. Can't say the same for the eejits in my class fresh out of school acting the noob. Why don't you start a thread on that eh? Or you one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭seanw7

all they do is sit there and learn and Drink Tea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I mean why can't they just be a bit more normal and adapt to the environment which they're in?

You mean smell of beer and sweat and wear 2 week old shiny jeans?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

*sigh*

* They always sit in the front rows (...Maybe because they are older, their hearing might not be the best?)

* They always ask the most anal questions (Just because you know the answer, doesn't mean they do too! They might want to know something but just baldy express themselves. Thats not a crime. Get over it!)

* They always have the textbook, and pencil case full of stationery and a range of highlighters (Wow - someone that is willing to come prepared - what a pleasant change!)

* They always have the require slides printed out for classes (God, their the devils - doing their actual homework!)

* They dress in their ancient style of dress. (What ancient to you is normal to them. One persons meat can be another persons poison.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Yeah, how dare they actually want to do well instead of using college as an excuse to get pissed mid-week and do no studying until the last moment and then bitch and moan when they do crap in their exams.

And as for 'ancient style of dress.' Are the students in your class coming dressed as Edwardian people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I am developing a strong dislike of mature students at third level. They're so annoying for a number of reasons, including....

I was of the same opinion when I was back in first year. Now I realise that they actually appreciated the education they were getting far more than I did. Wish I put in half as much work as they did back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

They always ask the most anal questions

Really? What course are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

/Mild rant

If young students go on the piss every night, and get out of bed every day at 2pm, years later they become mature students, trying to make up for their having fucked it up the first time round. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

See once you get more mature, you value 3rd level education much more. Plus the fact that many of the new mature students this year are there because they have been made redundant, and are using the opportunity to better themselves, in the hope that it will give them more chance of employment in todays difficult job market.

Silly them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I'll be going back to college full-time next year at the age of 23. As I'll be paying several thousand euro of my hard earned for the privilege, I'm going to make damn sure I get the best degree possible, even if it means 17-year-olds who see free third-level education as their god-given right think lesser of me for it.

I'll also be well able to show them whose dick is bigger when it comes to drinking and caining it on drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

neil_ wrote: »
    Why should they have to be normal? If they're happy doing what they're doing there's no reason to change. You sound like someone in secondary school, not college.

(although it does annoy me when they start talking about their children)

Yes I'm fresh out of there and thankful to be out of it.
    Whats your point? They are eager to learn. Can't say the same for the eejits in my class fresh out of school acting the noob. Why don't you start a thread on that eh? Or you one of them?
    I just wish they'd tone it down a bit. Obviously the pissheads are an annoyance but generally they just don't turn up for classes anyway so they're tolerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Pace2008 wrote: »

I'll also be well able to show them whose dick is bigger

If you play this game with the female students you will greatly increase your chances of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

phill106 wrote: »
    Silly them!
    Exactly! We all know there's no jobs out there and not going to be for a long time, and if there were then they'd be snapped up by people with degrees from private or even NUI colleges.
    I'll be going back to college full-time next year at the age of 23. As I'll be paying several thousand euro of my hard earned for the privilege, I'm going to make damn sure I get the best degree possible, even if it means 17-year-olds who see free third-level education as their god-given right think lesser of me for it..
    Ah well you're not that old. Some of the mature students I'm referring to do be in the 30-60 age range.

Also I pay fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

/Mild rant
    they'l pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Exactly! We all know there's no jobs out there and not going to be for a long time, and if there were then they'd be snapped up by people with degrees from private or even NUI colleges.

what are you doing in ITcarlow then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I dont really agree with ANY of that, but what I have noticed is that at the beginning of the year theyre all friendly but come exam time they get competitive and bitchy towards each other.

Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

technically i was a mature student when i started and i was 28 when i started my masters and never sat at the front always the back :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

couldnt help it, read post like this
    like ohhhh myy god I am developing a strong dislike of mature students at third level. They're so annoying for like a number of reasons, including:
    • They always sit in the front rows suuuuch suck-ups. omg
    • They always ask the most anal questions like i toootally dont need to know all the, like, details and **** ya know??
    • They always have the textbook, and pencil case full of stationery and a range of highlighters my god i could hardly get my hair properly gelled/straightened this morning, how am i suppose to have to time to, like, actually get my **** toogether
    • They always have the require slides printed out for classes arrrghhh, it's like, what????
    • They dress in their ancient style of dress cardigans?? uuurrgghhhh!!
    I mean, seriously like, why can't they just be a bit more normal and stuff and adapt to the environment which they're in like? No one wants to know what you think of the concept of Scientific Management or your experience of it in practice cos i've like GOT a life

/Mild rant

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

/Mild rant

I've always thought that education should be free for those eager to better themselves.
    You've just made me question that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

/Mild rant

Because they will be getting honours and you will be flunking :p

Have you not got some study to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd prefer the mature students to the langers who come in in first year, do **** all except mess around and disrupt classes, then coming looking for your notes for exams which they have'nt bothered studying for, fail the exam anyway and then drop out.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

mature students are great! especially getting in group projects with them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

I'll be going back to college full-time next year at the age of 23. As I'll be paying several thousand euro of my hard earned for the privilege, I'm going to make damn sure I get the best degree possible, even if it means 17-year-olds who see free third-level education as their god-given right think lesser of me for it.

I'll also be well able to show them whose dick is bigger when it comes to drinking and caining it on drugs.

good luck there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You're just jealous because Mature Students have nicer laptops than you. :rolleyes:

Do you do anything except gawk at other people in lectures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Mature students are life's failures, they revert to their childhood and in their own confused way believe they are starting all over again with a new pencil case in hand.

They should feck off and do something useful. :rolleyes:

Kasabian wrote: »
    Mature students are life's failures, they revert to their childhood and in their own confused way believe they are starting all over again with a new pencil case in hand.

They should feck off and do something useful.

BAH HUMBUG!

no Christmas for you children:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

They dress in their ancient style of dress.

While you sit there in your Converse looking all new and modern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Hey kid keep it down at the back! I'm trying to learn up here at the front while you make vain attempts to lose your virginity to that girl in the desk across from you. You might eventually be able to charm your way into her pants but she'll soon bang your best friend in an upstairs bedroom at a house party after some ridiculous 'themed' night out in the student bar and you'll soon realise that she wasn't that interesting anyway she just had short hair."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The OP provides a pretty accurate description of mature students. They also get seriously and genuinely stressed about assignments and exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

/Mild rant

Maybe you should have thought about that *before* you decided to become a lecturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

aDeener wrote: »
    mature students are great! especially getting in group projects with them :p
    Luck won't be necessary when showing the Bud Light brigade and Corona Extra crew what's what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

/Mild rant
    Right, I'm a mature student.
    They always sit in the front rows
    We sit in the front row because if we sit anywhere else, we can't hear whats going on because of dickheads like you chatting the whole way through the lecture.
    We have been out of education for a decent amount of time. Unlike you, coming straight from leaving cert, alot of material is still fresh in your mind. Those ANAL questions are obviously not ANAL to the person asking them, otherwise they wouldn't need to ask them.
    They always have the textbook, and pencil case full of stationery and a range of highlighters
    How dare us coming prepared for class. Grow up kid, you will realise when your balls drop, it's not cool to come unprepared for class.
    They always have the require slides printed out for classes
    Mommy and Daddy are not paying for our education so we only get one chance at this. I'm sorry if it annoys you that we want to put in the effort and pass cause Mommy and Daddy won't pay for my repeat exams in August.
    They dress in their ancient style of dress.
    Can't see why it annoys you the way people dress. Everyone has their own style as I'm sure you do:confused::confused:

Anyway best of luck in college, i hope Mommy and Daddy understand if you fail your exams, that it was the mature students fault:D

Rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

/Mild rant

As a mature student meself (myself cant speak properly yet), I was just wondering what is your anal like? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I was a mature student, and was one of only a handful to actually graduate. I was 2 points shy of a first class honours. In contrast to those who went out on the bottle every night, none of them graduated. Anyone who put the work in, and actually asked questions graduated.

Good luck with the dole queue after you drop out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Also - I went to college to get an education, not to procrastinate having to find a job to keep my parents happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

What a silly op.

I have the greatest respect for mature students. It's hard to go back to being a student after being out of the system, as opposed to a fair number of the people who drift into college after their LC because they can't think of anything else to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭The After Hours Troll

Lets talk about mature women aka MILFs.

If you play this game with the female students you will greatly increase your chances of winning.

and if i didnt win, id be worried. time to grab the coat.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If young students go on the piss every night, and get out of bed every day at 2pm, years later they become mature students, trying to make up for their having fucked it up the first time round. :(

This is me :(

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    This is me :(

Acceptance is the first step my friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Montallie

Kasabian wrote: »

They should feck off and do something useful.

Don't you see what an illogical statement that is? Presumably you aren't doing anything useful either, by your own words.

I went to college at 50 - my family couldn't afford to send me when I left school. I saw or felt no difference between myself and the other students, other than those that related to our personalities and attitudes.

I got the points on my Leaving Cert just like younger students - I don't think anyone realised I was a mature student till they saw me (I know it's done differently now).

The point is, I felt as entitled as anyone else to be there and, though I tended not to sit in the front, I would have if I wanted to. I'm wondering if some younger people might not be better to wait till they're 50 to go to college, if they're so immature as to be bothered by others who are going about their own business their own way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Doop

I'm a mature student, cept im hip to the groove so this doesnt apply to me... you kids still say that, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 b1788

sitting at the front is fine...hearing etc..
    pencil cases filled with highlighters...agreed - a few pens will do..

+1 to the fact they ask questions (needing long explanations) within the last 2 minutes of lectures.. annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

Lets talk about mature women aka MILFs.

Ahh the MILF's, wait......ok daydream over anyway moving on..
    I say fair play to mature students you do your thing and let them do theirs.
    When I was in college a few years back we had great craic with the older students, we partied hard!! They showed us how it's done! Graduation was unbelievable! Even Steve Stifler would have been proud!!:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement