Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rant about mature students

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

ILA wrote: »
    I am developing a strong dislike of mature students at third level. They're so annoying for a number of reasons, including:
    • They always sit in the front rows
    • They always ask the most anal questions
    • They always have the textbook, and pencil case full of stationery and a range of highlighters
    • They always have the require slides printed out for classes
    • They dress in their ancient style of dress.
    I mean why can't they just be a bit more normal and adapt to the environment which they're in? No one wants to know what you think of the concept of Scientific Management or your experience of it in practice.

/Mild rant

Seeing as you're the one being anal and contrary around here, if I were a mature student I would deliberately go out of my way to annoy you by doing all of the above. If you had the temerity to say it to my face and not bitch about it in an internet forum I would probably give you a good kick in the bollix for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They have my every sympathy.

If I had to sit through lectures with half the whinging stereotypes that post in here, I'd be expelled for assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness to the OP, a lot of students will feel that way about mature students. I did when I was in college and it was only after I left that I realised that while I pissed away my future, they gave it their best shot.

If I were to go back now I'd make sure I tried my best. And the students behind me will think like the OP, then eventually become mature students. It's the circle of life that Elton John sang about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

zeds alive wrote: »
    what are you doing in ITcarlow then?
    Thanks for looking through my posts. I guess you could say I didn't study as hard as I should have when it came down to the Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lostwallet

Aren't they collectively known as the Noddies?

Knew a few from class when i was in college - all gud skins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Doop wrote: »
    I'm a mature student, cept im hip to the groove so this doesnt apply to me... you kids still say that, right?

Don't jive me, turkey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Thanks for looking through my posts. I guess you could say I didn't study as hard as I should have when it came down to the Leaving Cert.

Perhaps you should have,
    • sat in the front rows
    • asked the most anal questions
    • always had the textbook, and pencil case full of stationery and a range of highlighters
    • had the required slides printed out for classes
    • dressed in ancient style of dress
    and you may have done better :D

They always ask the most anal questions
    We have been out of education for a decent amount of time. Unlike you, coming straight from leaving cert, alot of material is still fresh in your mind. Those ANAL questions are obviously not ANAL to the person asking them, otherwise they wouldn't need to ask them.

I forgot to include the above in my original post:
    • Hardship stories about having to leave school at 16 and "work on the buildings" or "work in the factory" until you became redundant and had nothing better to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Tell the truth: are you a government plant sent here to convince the considerable populaton of Boards that college fees must be reintroduced as a matter of necessity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

tis ****ing true the 3 owl ones that sit in the front row do my head in they ask the most pointless and ****ing obvious question.

its over girls ur to old **** off home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

[*]They always ask the most anal questions

I'm always doing this but my girlfriend always says no :(

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Tell the truth: are you a government plant sent here to convince the considerable populaton of Boards that college fees must be reintroduced as a matter of necessity?
    Not I just want the grant and welfare cut to keep out the destitute, the mature, and the infirm retarded.

They sully the college population with their presence.

ricero wrote: »
    tis ****ing true the 3 owl ones that sit in the front row do my head in they ask the most pointless and ****ing obvious question.

its over girls ur to old **** off home
    Theres one fresher in her 60s in one of the lectures. She'll surely have croaked before she graduates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I was a mature student. Was nominated Science student of the year, 1st class honours, etc etc etc. When I left college I felt like http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/39879. If I had gone at 18 I would have drank myself to death in weeks. So it ended well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ricero wrote: »

You go to college in an aviary?

• Advertisement

Not I just want the grant and welfare cut to keep out the destitute, the mature, and the infirm retarded.

They sully the college population with their presence.

There was a lad exactly like you in one of my college classes.

He was hilarious, until a mature student in her late 50's beat him half to death with her handbag for being snotty to her one day. I'm sure he kept up his rambunctious manner after that, it was just that nobody could understand what he was saying.

Sad story really. :(

Theres one fresher in her 60s in one of the lectures. She'll surely have croaked before she graduates.

Probably on your gear stick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

omahaid wrote: »
    I was a mature student. Was nominated Science student of the year, 1st class honours, etc etc etc. When I left college I felt like http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/39879. If I had gone at 18 I would have drank myself to death in weeks. So it ended well :D
    :cool:

This is after hours so....What do you want a fooking sweetie? ;)

Back in the day, when i was a student, I thought the mature students were grand although as pointed out previously they did ask a lot of really stupid questions. A lot of the time they would be completely off topic but I guess some of them thought that's the way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

flanno_7hi wrote: »
    :cool:

This is after hours so....What do you want a fooking sweetie? ;)

Well, umm, yes, a sweet would be nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im a Mature student of life:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I forgot to include the above in my original post:
    • Hardship stories about having to leave school at 16 and "work on the buildings" or "work in the factory" until you became redundant and had nothing better to do.

Nothing better than trying to further themselves in life by getting an education? Well how very dare they...

ILA is gone, dinner must be waiting :D

ILA is gone, dinner must be waiting :D

news2day is on RTE 2 at 4.50. Probably gone to catch his daily dose of Kidz Newz. Maybe see how much marshmallow prices are going to be affected by the forthcoming budget. Or 'Boring Money Talk Politician Day' as they'll be referring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I am developing a strong dislike of mature students at third level. They're so annoying for a number of reasons, including:
    • They always have the textbook, and pencil case full of stationery and a range of highlighters
    I mean why can't they just be a bit more normal and adapt to the environment which they're in? No one wants to know what you think of the concept of Scientific Management or your experience of it in practice.

/Mild rant

I work with students every day, and about 90% of them are like this i have to say. Then again, the folk i see are working on their Masters so have apparently learned to take **** seriously by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I used to hate them too when I was 18.

Only 22 now, but back in education (because I dropped out) and paying full fees, and now I hate the 18 year olds. All of them. Like someone said earlier, the mature students sit down the front because they don't want to hear your boring fcuking stories about how much you drank last night and how Samantha like totally met that fella behind the SU bar omgawd.

I can guarantee that each and every mature student in that front row lives and has lived a much more interesting life than you.

I am developing a strong dislike of teens at third level. They're so annoying for a number of reasons, including:

They always sit in the back rows
    They never ask any questions, then complain about how hard the coursework is
    They never bring anything to take notes with, ask 'will this be up on Moodle' and then bitch to each other if the lecturer says no
    They go to the lectures just to text each other
    They all dress the same.
    ILA wrote:

The sheer ignorance and stupidity here makes me think the OP was just trolling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I didn't have to , I'm in ITcarlow also.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭azwethinkweiz

KeithM89 wrote: »
    How dare they come prepared for class and want to learn :rolleyes:

Although i do hate a certain person who always waits til the end of class to ask a question or start a big rant - shut up bitch, i want to leave :)

Oh wow, I second that one! Seriously, that was so annoying... I'm there looking at my phone thinking "yes, this lecture is over in 3 minutes & lunch time is a-coming" *tummy rumbles*
    Then someone asks some mundane question that'd require another hour to explain! ARRRGHHH!!

Oh wow, I second that one! Seriously, that was so annoying... I'm there looking at my phone thinking "yes, this lecture is over in 3 minutes & lunch time is a-coming" *tummy rumbles*
    Then someone asks some mundane question that'd require another hour to explain! ARRRGHHH!!

Just get up and leave, it's third level no requirement to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I don't think the OP is mature enough for 3rd level education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I mean why can't they just be a bit more normal and adapt to the environment which they're in?

Eh, isn't college a learning environment?! It seems they've adapted pretty well, and you're complaining because you haven't!

• Advertisement

well i hope things dont come round full circle in say the year 2020 or even later and the op is on here cribbing about teenage students. Ive found some of the comments on this topic ageist and moronic but i have to acknowledge youth and naivety on the OPs part as i was a teenager myself not so long ago.

i myself am a mature student in my late 20s. i'm in a difficult predicament myself as half the class are fresh from LC and the other half are mature students and i'm jammed in the middle in terms of my class.

i have a lot of respect for the mature students as there are none of the social barriers with them that you would encounter with the younger crowd who to be fair to them also are at a stage of their life where peer pressure and social acceptance is at its most intense.

But i will say one thing, i admired the attitude that two young class reps took toward the upcoming national student march on Dail Eireann and the implications that the Govt's increase in students fees would have on them and their parents. fair play that they acknowledge their parents role in their education as you would meet some ungrateful kids. Some kids have wisdom and maturity beyond their years

Additionally there is a mature student in my class that would drive you nuts but that's not because she is a mature student its because she is who she is

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭azwethinkweiz

Just get up and leave, it's third level no requirement to stay.

Actually it was a small class, only about 20 people at most. you were expected to stay until the lecturer told ya to leave... It was only annoying when all I could think about was my lunch lol.

anyway I'm done and dusted with college, that was over 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

/Mild rant

I sit in the front rows because the school leavers can be annoying, either by talking about their debs night or how hungover they are, not taking the lecture seriously,ect.
    yeah we can ask some anal questions but they're better than the questions the school leavers can sometimes ask like - what class is this? do we have an exam? where's the library? when's that essay due? (the day before its due) ect.
    being organised with books and stationary just makes going to college easier
    i never have the slides printed out. but a lot do. this is a really good idea because you can fill in the points the lecturer makes and this makes studying for the exams a lot easier.
    dont think my dress style is acient, i get mistaken for a school leaver all the time. how should a mature student dress anyway?
    contributing stuff to lectures and tutorials makes them more interesting - its better than everyone sitting there not saying anything.
    although i do see where you're coming from - when i do sit beside mature students they usually talk about how they have to get their kids to school before they go to college or they're going through a divorce or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

When I was 18 I too disliked those mature student squares with their damn enthusiasm and self motivation which made me feel insecure about my laziness and inability to focus... then I grew up.

That said though, there was always one know-all pain in the hole who'd hijack the lecture with incessant questioning and lick the lecturer's arse afterwards. But the rest were always a great bunch of lads. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I don't think the OP is mature enough for 3rd level education.

He's admitted that he's not a mature student.

I think that 3rd level education should be the exclusive preserve of mature students.

The reason I sat in the front row was I couldn't see the board from further back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They're fine as a group, but there's always one who's incredibly annoying. Then there's one in particular in my (very small) course, who never does any work, is always 15 minutes late, has someone who types up notes for her in classes she sometimes doesn't attend herself (which is NOT allowed), actually hands up about half of the required essays...always very very late, comes to big important lectures (...late) to discuss and argue points in books/handouts we're supposed to have read in depth...without having bothered to print them out or read them at all. Why BOTHER showing up then? And the best thing is, when we had to trek out to the RDS for exams, she was allowed sit hers in college. When we sit them in noisy sports halls in college, she has hers in a classroom on her own. And despite an absolute minimum of effort- she always passes the year. HOW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have done a lot of study as a mature student, degree and masters. I'm back doing a second masters at the moment, however, I also do a bit of lecturering. People metioned how mature students behave at exam and assignment etc.

Actually you see it a lot; but I always describe it as the time you discover why they are mature students. However, to be fair the first few exams for someone who haven't being in a class room for years is traumatic.

I love teaching mature students they want to learn and that makes a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Since the very first word of your thread starts with the word 'Rant', why don't you take it to Ranting and Raving.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

/Mild rant

Excuses me while I take a moment to raaaage at your idiotic post :mad:
    OP, I'm in college too and I am not a mature student (I'm 18) but your post embarrasses me. Seriously, you sound like a thirteen year-old.. 'lyke omg high-lighters how uncool!!!'
    Grow the fvck up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tooler08

I dont mind mature students.
    But a few I have ran into seem to feel that they deserve to be in the university more than students who came through the 'conventional route' because they are more ''well rounded'' which is total crap.
    This realy sickens me and is probably why lots of non-mature students resent them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Biggins wrote: »
    *sigh*

* They always sit in the front rows (...Maybe because they are older, their hearing might not be the best?)

Biggins, cop the fook on... most mature students are 30 somethings... you taking them for older is taking the piss...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

/Mild rant

Won't don't you grow up.

tooler08 wrote: »
    I dont mind mature students.
    But a few I have ran into seem to feel that they deserve to be in the university more than students who came through the 'conventional route' because they are more ''well rounded'' which is total crap.
    This realy sickens me and is probably why lots of non-mature students resent them.

They may have a lot more experience in actually doing work than you do...

Listen to your elders, and don't be a complete pratt all your life!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The mature students in my class always tried to be matey with the lecturers, making awful jokes in the middle of lectures and prattling on about their children.

They're not all like this (I was friends with one who was awesome) but there are a very large amount of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

/Mild rant

I weep for the future of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

and yet your the kind of person i bet who would moan if they sat on the couch all day on the dole
    if you had a point i wouldnt mind but the reasons you give make you look like an idiot your there to learn not to examine your classmates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The OP is well fúcking right, those of you who are arguing with him are sad sad cúnts, For every 5 príck mature students there's always that one guy who sits at the very back and keeps his gob shut. No opinions, no questions, no fuss. Keeps his mouth shut, takes the notes down and leaves. Speaks when spoken to as a true college student should, not letting loose 30 seconds before a lecture ends basically spewing what the lecturer's been shíteing on about for the last hour back at him/her word for word so they can get the nod of approval. For Gods sake, us students don't hate you initially, we really don't, but when you start being annoying and genuinely interrupting the class with your worthless opinion then you're interfering with OUR education, and yes that does piss me and many others off.

The OP is well fúcking right, those of you who are arguing with him are sad sad cúnts, For every 5 príck mature students there's always that one guy who sits at the very back and keeps his gob shut. No opinions, no questions, no fuss. Keeps his mouth shut, takes the notes down and leaves. Speaks when spoken to as a true college student should, not letting loose 30 seconds before a lecture ends basically spewing what the lecturer's been shíteing on about for the last hour back at him/her word for word so they can get the nod of approval. For Gods sake, us students don't hate you initially, we really don't, but when you start being annoying and genuinely interrupting the class with your worthless opinion then you're interfering with OUR education, and yes that does piss me and many others off.

you sir are what they call a w****r...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

And you sir fúcked up your first chance at a third level education by drinking and doing drugs and now you're back on your knees desperate for a second chance to get somewhere in life.

Also, are "they" (the mature ones) not students to?? Time to wake up sunshine, what kind of a gob****e are you!!!! I hope ***** like you have to pay your fees

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement