Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth of the Modern World Submission Time?

Options
  • 27-10-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hey lads!!
    Just doing the essay for Birth Of The Modern World. Its due for Friday but on blackboard it doesn't say what the latest time it can be submitted online is?
    Rang the history office and they know Nada and didn't get an email back either.. Anyone help?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BrianBlessed

I don't know either but 5pm is the usual latest time for essays to be submitted on a certain date

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Did you contact your lecturer/tutor(s) directly? They might know, given it's 'their' course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭EoghanRua

I haven't submitted anything electronically UCD before but (and I know in one sense this is meaningless as it's a different college) when I did a Master's in DCU and something was to be submitted electronically it simply had to be in on the date - it could submitted at 11.59pm.

There seems no logical reason why something should have to be in at 5pm - that's just a necessity when things have to be physically handed in during office hours. For electronic submission such an arbitrary time makes no sense - it's not like the office is going to be closed - which is perhaps why I have not seen a time (only a date) specificed for these assignments.

But maybe I'm crediting them with too much common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

I think it is anythime before 11.59, that's what it was for my mates in a different faculty last week.

Does anyone actually check the electronically submitted copy? (Not that I would do such a thing), but would it be possible to stick anything up and then work on it over the weekend and hand it in next week and they'd be none the wiser;)

Gingy wrote: »
    Does anyone actually check the electronically submitted copy? (Not that I would do such a thing), but would it be possible to stick anything up and then work on it over the weekend and hand it in next week and they'd be none the wiser;)

Not sure I'd chance that! But it does raise another question - why on earth is there a need to do an electronic version and a hard-copy?

I mentioned this to one of the lecturers and she mumbled something about it being easier to correct a hard copy which is fair enough and understandable. She added that it saves the cost and hassle of printing stuff out if people physically hand them in which is fair enough and understandable too. But neither point answers the question as to why it needs to be submitted electronically as well if that appears to be of no practical use to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I think the idea of the online submission is to check for plagiarism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Digital copy can be run through plagiarism checks.

That makes sense now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

From what I understand it
    1) acts as a time stamp (rather than students having to queue and sign in their essays when submitting them)
    2) ensures a copy retained for external examination, etc.
    3) checks for plagiarism

The hard copy is so that the student can get back a corrected copy of their essay with comments, etc. throughout the essay rather than just on a cover sheet.

Advertisement