Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten Care Question

Options
  • 27-10-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi All and many thanks for all the healp you've given me already.

My little 6 weeks kitten is at home and I am in work. I leave at 8:45 and I am back usually around 5:45.

My OH who lives part time at my place has been there in the mornings since I got her so she was never on her own for more than a couple of hours. (He's able to spend about 2 weekday mornings a week with her like this)

Today is her 1st day home alone. I have been thinking to leave the TV on for her so she doesn't feel lonely and I have spread her toys around teh living area to keep her disctracted.

Is there any other tips you can give me?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

It's so nerve wracking the first time you leave them at home alone when they're so young. The toys are a good idea but your little one is probably sleeping a lot while alone. The fun destructive time will begin in another couple of months.. Just make sure you give him/ her a lot of attention when you get home. They will soon adjust to the routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Taking her to the vet tomorrow ( hillcrest in clonsilla ) to get her 1st visit and get dewormed. I am hoping to get plenty of good tips there. I'm happy to have her as a kitten when she's still small as I will spend a lot more time in the house as well.

I am trying to call her by her name as well so she recognises it. I am not sure what I can teach her that early.

She's too small to get up the stairs to my bedroom mezzanine so I have to bring her food and little box upstairs at night. I hope that doesn't mess her up to much :) She probably thinks she has two litter boxes and 2 food dish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Watching them go upstairs is the CUTEST when they're that small!

I once read that someone calls their kitten's name when putting food down, and this worked for them coming when their name was called as they associated it with yumminess.

My two are too independant for that. They aren't bothered by me calling them or noise.. even when I shout at them when they're up to mischief! And they're only 1 (it's Bear's birthday on Saturday) and Squid is 8 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Agreed, he/she is more than likely sleeping as they do that ...a lot at that age. The fun starts when they discover they can climb and get to high places. Our 2 at home went through "the terrible 2s", trust me you need a good sense of humor, as they do what they please when they feel like it :) No cat can be REALLY disciplined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

:) No cat can be REALLY disciplined.
    I'm trying.And failing:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Hi OP,

I went throught the exact same anxiety as you when I first had to leave my little 7 week old, and this was recently. Going to work on the first day was absolute hell....but it was fine after a few days. Once she has plenty of toys to keep her occupied, clean litter tray, lots of food and water things will be fine. More than likely she will just sleep, potter around....good idea leaving the TV on, thats what I did.

Mine is now 3 months and when I come home in the evening the attention is incredible. Such a lovely welcome when I get in. :)

Another thing - make sure that anything the kitten might get into is out of bounds, or any strings that she might be tempted to play with, electric cords etc....mine recently chewed through my phone charger! Oh and she also like to go up the chimney so watch for that one too. :D

Advertisement