Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flickering oil warning light on Discovery I.

• 27-10-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

I noticed yesterday that the oil warning light on my '96 Disco I is flickering on and off (with 20-30 minutes intervals).
    Had it serviced last week and the work included fitting a new sump plug so I crawled under the car and noticed a coating of oil around and behind the sump plug so I deduced that the plug was leaking.
    However just dipped the oil and it's right up to the "full" mark.
    Slightly puzzled why the light is flickering intermittently.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Taking the car on a bit of a roadtrip at the end of the week so want to get this sorted beforehand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is that an oil pressure warning light?
    I would check oil pressure, oil pickup in the sump and then oil pump.
    Maybe some crap got dislodged during the service and is blocking the oil pickup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

It's the little oilcan symbol over the temp gauge.
    Would it be best to bring it in to have all this checked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

First of all check the wire from the sender unit on the oil filter block isn't loose or chafing somewhere and intermittently earthing which will switch the light on.
    If wiring is sound, change the sender unit and see if problem goes, they can fail.

If the problem is still there, then get it checked out in more depth although 300Tdis aren't known for oil problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Thanks for the advise guys, strangly enough the light has not flickered since I posted this message (yeah for boards!).
    Will keep a close eye on it and the oil level though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

Got the same thing here with a pajero 3.2

It came on for a few seconds yesterday and nothing since.

The interior light flickered on too a few times.

Any ideas here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Sometimes a flickering oil light could be a sign of wear on the engine and reduced compression I think. Best to replace the sender first, had to replace one recently on a tractor myself.

Advertisement