Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

i got samsung t220, which is 22inch too but 1650x1050 resolution. it serves me as second monitor and does it well. looks great.

for 60 quid if you are on budget... why not?

I only have 40 at the moment, I'm sure my parents would give me the other 20, but then I also would have to ask my sister to go to Offaly and collect it.

Looks like its gonna be sold soon anyway, two more people want to buy it.

So, has anybody here ever ordered from Newegg.com and then had the part shipped to Ireland?

I was just looking at their site and everything is so much cheaper than hardwareversand (when converted to euros of course).
    And then after a quick search I found this site: http://www.myus.com/
    It gives you an american address to put down when ordering of american sites, and when they recieve the package they will forward it onto you.

I just did a quick look and for example,
    A 2500k is only 175e.
    A Sapphire 7970 is 425e.
    Over 90e saving already if you ordered from hardwareversand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You would have to pay import duties and VAT. Not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Monotype wrote: »

This. Don't bother with anything outside the eu

I had ordered some parts from Japan for my cars and that works out really expencive with taxes and delivery charges. It's not like I had choise too.
    Stay with eu based stuff. Even some uk websites have better prices, but they don't ship to Ireland. Ebuyer.co.uk was great back then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Not to mention the RMA process would be a real pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Lads just wondering would a Z68 motherboard be compatablie with an i3 2120? Gonna upgrade to i5-2500k down the line, waiting for prices to drop abit, anyone know if they are due to drop?

Bonesy. wrote: »
    Lads just wondering would a Z68 motherboard be compatablie with an i3 2120? Gonna upgrade to i5-2500k down the line, waiting for prices to drop abit, anyone know if they are due to drop?

When Ivy Bridge come out they'll probably drop a bit.

... and yes, it would be compatible.

You should also be able to use the Ivy Bridge CPUs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Thanks lads :)

• Advertisement

they wont drop that much to be honest. there is article posted in hardware thread. it will drop just by 10$.

i would just bite the bullet and get 2500k now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Nasty surprise earlier in the week. Apparently, all the stress testing I was doing last month came back to bite me ... hard.

€365 ESB bill vs. the usual €120. Wasn't counting on that.

I've now narrowed the problem to my motherboard, but to return it, Gigabyte wants €45 for shipping. I'm seriously considering this as an excuse to pick up a Z68/2500K if I can't get it fixed myself.

they wont drop that much to be honest. there is article posted in hardware thread. it will drop just by 10$.

Which, the one about the 2550K? That's a Sandy Bridge CPU as well.

CPUs that are "obsolete" usually don't drop much in price after they stop being produce/main production stops. You should, however, be able to find a few second hand ones for a good deal for those getting the 3570K. The 3570K should be €10 or so dearer than what it is now.

If you really wanted to save money now, you could get the Celeron G530. It's only 2.4GHz in comparison to the 2120's 3.3GHz and it lacks the hyperthreading of the i3s. However, it still is a dual core, you won't be using the hyperthreading much in games and it's usually only about €40. It's not the best processor but the Sandy Bridges are quite powerful even at 2.4GHz so I reckon it would be okay as a stop gap for a few months.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Nasty surprise earlier in the week. Apparently, all the stress testing I was doing last month came back to bite me ... hard.

I've now narrowed the problem to my motherboard, but to return it, Gigabyte wants €45 for shipping. I'm seriously considering this as an excuse to pick up a Z68/2500K if I can't get it fixed myself.

:eek: Holy crap! So your motherboard was giving problems and you were running CPU/GPU tests? How long were were you testing for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

o_O

:eek: Holy crap! So your motherboard was giving problems and you were running CPU/GPU tests? How long were were you testing for?

I'm not sure exactly. I was running Prime95 a few times testing different settings, and I was also running memory tests and stuff. I'd say at least a solid five or six days of Prime, and other stuff. I can't see that doing that much damage to the ESB, but that's the only thing that changed. (Mind you, 383W under load...)

At this point, I've swapped out the PSU and memory, and I've tried my GPU in a friend's computer. Odds are if it was the CPU things would be a lot more unstable, so I think it's my motherboard. Going to try repasting the heatsinks at the weekend (it's a lot of work to get the board out).
    nesf wrote: »
    o_O

I know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'm not sure exactly. I was running Prime95 a few times testing different settings, and I was also running memory tests and stuff. I'd say at least a solid five or six days of Prime, and other stuff. I can't see that doing that much damage to the ESB, but that's the only thing that changed. (Mind you, 383W under load...)

At this point, I've swapped out the PSU and memory, and I've tried my GPU in a friend's computer. Odds are if it was the CPU things would be a lot more unstable, so I think it's my motherboard. Going to try repasting the heatsinks at the weekend (it's a lot of work to get the board out).

I know.

6 days of 1200W full blast only adds up to about €25. Are you sure it wasn't something else?

• Advertisement

That's about what I got from ESB's calculator as well. Can't think of anything else that changed. I swapped out my 1200W unit for a 700W one, but if anything, that should have helped. Literally nothing else was different.

Anyone any idea how much I'd get for my CPU, motherboard and RAM, if I were to sell them now? (assuming functional motherboard)

Two months non-stop 383W would be €82.59.

There's VAT increases too but it wouldn't add up to that. I reckon ESB got your numbers wrong or something else is going on. Plus your heating cost should be down. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Maybe bring the comp into the library or work etc when stress testing!! That's a shockingly high bill, ask them to read your meter. Is finding the right overclocking settings high on the electricity?

well ESB doing estimates anyway. so you might look in to that.

or maybe misses bought some new appliances? :D

Nope, and nope. Checked the meter, and it's accurate, and there's nothing else in the apartment, other than heating, etc.

OCing shouldn't be that high on electricity, I just don't know what else would do it.

• Advertisement

Nope, and nope. Checked the meter, and it's accurate, and there's nothing else in the apartment, other than heating, etc.

OCing shouldn't be that high on electricity, I just don't know what else would do it.

Could have just been heating I suppose. Dec/Jan have been a lot colder than Oct/Nov. November was the warmest on record.

my esb bill should be in soon too.... i am afraid! :eek:

Any idea how much those three would sell for guys? Considering my options at this point.

Any idea how much those three would sell for guys? Considering my options at this point.

Going off adverts maybe €300. There's a lot of people trying to sell i7s though, and not a whole lot of interest. This is the last one that I could see that actually sold, and that was 2 months ago.
    http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/intel-core-i7-920/1113576

lads, it will be a long shot, but ill ask:

where can you buy those little rubber stripes with sticker on other side? you know the ones that are on the back of keyboards to stop it from sliding?

my keyboard has only 2 pieces on the bottom and nothing on top corners, so it is sliding off alot. any ideas?

So I'm finally getting around to getting a monitor. Picking it up tomorrow.
    My eyes are getting very sore trying to read small writing from a few feet away.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was such a thing as a HDMI video transmitter sort of thing?
    Something like two small signal transmitters, one plugs into the computer and one into the TV so I could transmit the signal to the TV without the use of a wire? Its probably far fetched but I've always thought it would be a great device if there was such a thing available.

The reason I'm asking is I plan on having the monitor set up on the opposite side of the room of my TV, my TV is facing my bed, so I would like to be able to lie in bed watching TV programmes off the internet from my computer. I used to use my PS3, but I feel the PS3 isn't very good at it, and for some reason (perhaps overheating or something) the video starts lagging, and skipping lots of frames in the last 20mins of a show, but it is fine at the start of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im in 2 minds here

Format my laptop and reinstall windows 7 or dont

You see iv MS word on the laptop and its pretty handy. Now I dont have the disk anymore since I sold it, so no serial number

Is it possible to format the laptop and keep MS word ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Headshot wrote: »
    Im in 2 minds here

Format my laptop and reinstall windows 7 or dont

You see iv MS word on the laptop and its pretty handy. Now I dont have the disk anymore since I sold it, so no serial number

Is it possible to format the laptop and keep MS word ?

Why not format and use open office?

game4it70 wrote: »
    Why not format and use open office?

I like MS word thou

Alot better than open office I find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Headshot wrote: »
    I like MS word thou

Alot better than open office I find
    Yesterday my Uncle called, his wife was typing out a document and long story short Word wouldn't save it for her, so she lost the 2 hours of work she spent on it.

They asked me if I could help get the doc back. So I found a backuped version of the file in a temp folder created by office, but guess what! Office couldn't open the file, *Queue the dramatic super hero music* Libre Office to the rescue. Libre Office could open the Microsoft Office backup format and save it as a Microsoft Office file.

• Advertisement

One program I'm aware of that will retrieve your keys is the new version of the Magic Jellybean Keyfinder, Recover Keys. Unfortunately, it will cost €19 ($25) for the full version.
    The free version handles older programs and windows including office 2003, if I remember correctly, but I assume that's no good to you.

Edit: Found some more extensive info.

How to retrieve MS Office keys from a previous install: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/tp/office-product-keys.htm
    They also have a list of free key retrievers in the tutorials which you can check out at your own risk.

One program I'm aware of that will retrieve your keys is the new version of the Magic Jellybean Keyfinder, Recover Keys. Unfortunately, it will cost €19 ($25) for the full version.
    The free version handles older programs and windows including office 2003, if I remember correctly, but I assume that's no good to you.

Edit: Found some more extensive info.

How to retrieve MS Office keys from a previous install: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/tp/office-product-keys.htm
    They also have a list of free key retrievers in the tutorials which you can check out at your own risk.

Mono that has worked like a charm, thank you so much

With multiple displays do I have to use the same video output (DVI) on all of them, or can I use DVI on one and HDMI on the other?

I want to set it up with my TV, so when I'm watching shows on the internet I can just drag the browser over to the big screen and watch it on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

With multiple displays do I have to use the same video output (DVI) on all of them, or can I use DVI on one and HDMI on the other?

I want to set it up with my TV, so when I'm watching shows on the internet I can just drag the browser over to the big screen and watch it on that.

Thats what I do....
    Hdmi for the tv and dvi for the monitor...
    works a treat

Yeah, HDMI + DVI works fine with any recent generation graphics cards and Intel's current generation integrated graphics.

And how would I set it up? Through the Catalyst Control Centre?
    I've been looking through it and there is options for Eyefinity, but all the Apply now buttons are not clickable.

Eyefinity is for 3 monitors. I think you set them up with display options (Windows 7, right-click on desktop, screen resolution) or somewhere nearby those settings.

Yeah, I tried those too.
    I set it to extend desktop but every time I click apply, it tells me that the settings can't be saved.

Are you actually getting stuff showing up on the screen?
    Also, are both connections connected to the graphics card?

• Advertisement

Are you actually getting stuff showing up on the screen?
    Also, are both connections connected to the graphics card?

I can get stuff to show up on either screens, just not at the same time. Only one at a time.
    I'm pretty sure they're both connected to the graphics card.
    There is two sections, one section has HDMI, DVI, and some other weird port that looks like HDMI, but its not.
    Then below that, there is a single DVI port. Thats the one I had to use for my monitor as the top one would only show the desktop background, which I'm guessing meant it thought it meant it was my second display.

There is two sections, one section has HDMI, DVI, and some other weird port that looks like HDMI, but its not.

Displayport?
    Have you tried a this from a clean boot? Does two monitors show up in the screen resolution window? BTW, you can drag the pictures around to be whichever order you want.

Maybe keep it simple and keep the resolution lowish and the same on both screens, if they're not already the same. You might be missing some drivers or something. When the TV is connected, see if windows has found some drivers for it (Start menu -> Devices and Printers) or right-click and add it if it's not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

And how would I set it up? Through the Catalyst Control Centre?
    I've been looking through it and there is options for Eyefinity, but all the Apply now buttons are not clickable.

I use CCC,Open Desktop Managment on CCC.click,creating and arranging desktops.
    Then click "extend" on your TV..

Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

funnily enough, I've been having the same problem today. I can't get 2 monitors to work together unless theyre the same resolution.

Just saw this website. Irish based
    has anyone bought of them before.
    Some of their stuff is quite cheap

http://www.eurieka.ie/

Doesn't look that cheap, TBH. Their prices in red are ex-VAT. The 2500K goes for €225, for example, €215 on Dabs.

• Advertisement

Doesn't look that cheap, TBH. Their prices in red are ex-VAT. The 2500K goes for €225, for example, €215 on Dabs.

didn't notice the +€10 delivery as well.
    you cant really beat dabs.ie (apart from harwaresluginswerfg for large orders:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Quick question, in building a pc, is soldering involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Pangea wrote: »
    Quick question, in building a pc, is soldering involved?
    No, complicated lego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

No, complicated lego.

Not even that complicated. Expensive Lego, morelike.

Nah, expensive Mechano is more like it; there is the occasional screw as well. ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement