Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Pangea wrote: »
    Quick question, in building a pc, is soldering involved?

No, but it's very difficult unless you've constructed a PC before. It's only 'easy' when you know how and computers don't hate you!

For me anyway, it's one of those "it's broken until it's working perfectly" deals, where things work but just not with you! Like I've put in ram, HDDs, DVD drives etc into my PC before but never built it from scratch! Buying components is the cheapest and a great way to maximise bang for your buck, but you're kinda left on your todd with instructions. Unless someone knows what they're doing, you'll likely be spending at least a day and a night sorting it out.

To end my rambling, I'd recommend just spending the €20 for HWVS to build it for you (something i regret most) and no headaches, or asking a boardsie to come to your place (like my hero Deconduo!) :pac: wooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jaykhunter wrote: »
    No, but it's very difficult unless you've constructed a PC before. It's only 'easy' when you know how and computers don't hate you!

For me anyway, it's one of those "it's broken until it's working perfectly" deals, where things work but just not with you! Like I've put in ram, HDDs, DVD drives etc into my PC before but never built it from scratch! Buying components is the cheapest and a great way to maximise bang for your buck, but you're kinda left on your todd with instructions. Unless someone knows what they're doing, you'll likely be spending at least a day and a night sorting it out.

To end my rambling, I'd recommend just spending the €20 for HWVS to build it for you (something i regret most) and no headaches, or asking a boardsie to come to your place (like my hero Deconduo!) :pac: wooooo

Remember: bad experience is experience too. Now you will be able to build your next pc like a boss.

I recomend anyone who builds a custom pc, to build it themselfs. It will give you few grey hairs ( I'd did to me if you find my old thread when I built mine ), but when something will go wrong or you will need upgrade it will come in very handy. You will have way more confidence in you to open that sucker up amd see what's wrong.

Definitely a trial by fire! Last week I must've constructed and de-constructed the rig 6-8 times; ya I'd be far more confident whenever Round 2 comes along, whether that's worth the heartache for most people is subjective - Coming up to 3am with a new dead PC all I could of is "this is why there's consoles, this is why there's consoles" !

Putting in a screwdriver betweenpower pins to start up a 'naked' psu/motherboard by themselves, felt like Johnny Cash, i crossed the line, there's no coming back

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Definitely a trial by fire! Last week I must've constructed and de-constructed the rig 6-8 times; ya I'd be far more confident whenever Round 2 comes along, whether that's worth the heartache for most people is subjective - Coming up to 3am with a new dead PC all I could of is "this is why there's consoles, this is why there's consoles" !

Putting in a screwdriver betweenpower pins to start up a 'naked' psu/motherboard by themselves, felt like Johnny Cash, i crossed the line, there's no coming back

What does not kill you - makes you even stronger ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

But now that it's working nicely, are you satisfied with the performance?
    -and does the fact that you put sweat, blood and tears into the making of it make you feel prouder of the finished product and offer boasting rights that you built a PC?! Anyway, it wasn't a waste of time for the most part as you probably know the assembly process inside out now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It depends really. I can get really into something when I like it, so I was looking at components, reading forums, etc. for weeks before I build my first rig. On the ay, from unboxing stuff to booting into Windows, took about six hours, and it all went reasonably well, though there were a couple of hiccups along the way, nothing horrible.

On a completely unrelated note:

Just saw this on Youtube, and it looks fantastic. Integrated homeplugs into router, and intelligent switching between ethernet, homeplugs, and wireless on the fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiHbK-ij_q0&feature=g-all-u&context=G2f7013cFAAAAAAAACAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Personally I almost wish I didn't get HWVS to build it for me.
    I plan on ordering a larger, quieter case soon (any recommendations, preferably not fractal design) and the one thing I'm looking forward to is taking it apart and rebuilding it :)

If it was one go, 6 hours, bing-bang-boom done I'd have a different mind, but mine dragged into day 3 and felt like quite the damsel in distress lol. Felt much more disappointment after the first few times & it not working. Like all manuals I had besides the mobo were really useless; and the mobo one wasn't idiot proof, lol. That said, there was huge renewed optimism with the help of you guys & a big sigh of relief when Decon said he'd come over.

tbh i'm very happy i can put one together and i'm much better versed with pc construction -that's pretty awesome- but my overriding thoughts are "i can do it, but i wouldn't ever wish it upon anyone else!"

Don't worry, you'll recover by the time the next build comes around. You'll see the prices of the Dells then come back here.

Of course the upgrade itch is probably already silently working its way in through your flesh and it's only a matter of time before it reaches your brain and wallet... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Far Cry 3 looks pretty tasty

Hopefully graphics will be epic on the pc

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    Don't worry, you'll recover by the time the next build comes around. You'll see the prices of the Dells then come back here.

Of course the upgrade itch is probably already silently working its way in through your flesh and it's only a matter of time before it reaches your brain and wallet... :P

Upgrade itch... I hate it...

I wanted second gtx 570, them 120gb ssd for steam, then 2tb hdd for storage, then hybrid 750 s/hdd, then decided I'll buy vita and wait for upgrades, then scraped vita idea and decided I want 27inch.... Monitor, monitor... Then misses gave me 100 quid GameStop voucher for valentines day... Back to vita and 27inch in march for birthday :D

And with my occasionally spassy motherboard, I'm thinking on a new one, then I'm thinking I might as well go SB, then IB, then I need a new SSD, then a second monitor, then a new keyboard... it never ends!

Serephucus wrote: »
    And with my occasionally spassy motherboard, I'm thinking on a new one, then I'm thinking I might as well go SB, then IB, then I need a new SSD, then a second monitor, then a new keyboard... it never ends!

Cokaine is hello of a drug!

Cokaine is hello of a drug!

Darknesses! Darknesses! *gets mud all over your couch* :pac:

lads, 1 question:

PS vita + 1 game VS 27inch monitor for 250-300ish for gaming.

what would you go for? :D i have to admit PS vita is one sexy thing, but i am pc junky and that "upgrade bug" is out!

What monitor / game is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

What monitor / game is it?
    I'd say it's a no brainer, the monitor! Those PSPs are fairly gimmicky, anyway.

was thinking of uncharted, but i was not that impressed after i played it in gamestop today. so i guess i would be playing old psp games bough digitaly untill better stuff comes out. little deviants was fun thought.

monitor... dunno, what can i get for 250-300eu? i am not in to 3D bull****, so i dont need 3D monitors etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

3D monitors are good for 2D gaming as well though, since they have double the refresh rate.

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    3D monitors are good for 2D gaming as well though, since they have double the refresh rate.

i doubt i can push 120fps on bf3 on my rig ;)

i wont mind 120hz monitors, but it will be wa over my budget.

i got 2x22inch monitors now. i would love to scrap my 1650x1050 and replace it with lovely 27 inch monitor. 22inch 1080p will be my secondary then.

i wonder wont 27inch monitor with 1080p overkill? quality of image will drop a bit? way bigger space, but same pixel count as 22 inch

Feck the Vita, go buy yourself a nice monitor. I think the opinions might be slightly biased on this forum though. I don't like sony much though and know next to nothing about the Vita.

The Vita might be more attractive after a while when people start overclocking them.

The 120Hz monitors are a bit more expensive and bear in mind that not every 3D monitor you see is 120Hz. IPSs have become more affordable. What about the Dell U2312HM?
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_04RAND/16_MONITOR/01_MONITOR/productdetails/20097160/Dell_23_U2312HM_LCD_8ms_VGA_DVI_D/859_10143/default.aspx
    You could work towards 3x1080p monitors and eyefinity. The U2312HM has displayport too!

tbh the monitor would be the same price but give it a couple of weeks and the vita will take a price drop ;)

Yeah, I'm heavily leaning toward the monitor myself, was just curious.

Feck the Vita, go buy yourself a nice monitor. I think the opinions might be slightly biased on this forum though. I don't like sony much though and know next to nothing about the Vita.

The Vita might be more attractive after a while when people start overclocking them.

The 120Hz monitors are a bit more expensive and bear in mind that not every 3D monitor you see is 120Hz. IPSs have become more affordable. What about the Dell U2312HM?
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_04RAND/16_MONITOR/01_MONITOR/productdetails/20097160/Dell_23_U2312HM_LCD_8ms_VGA_DVI_D/859_10143/default.aspx
    You could work towards 3x1080p monitors and eyefinity. The U2312HM has displayport too!

To be honest. Am not interested in eyefinity. I would prefer 1xbig + secondary to 3xsmall.

I am sort of really attracted to 27inch ( that sounded really wrong just now ). It would be really visible improvement over 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

The vita is indeed sexy, but I'm not sold on it. Why do u want 1 if u don't mind me asking? as a portable game device it's battery it's enough reason for me to give it a skip. It mightn't even get u from dublin to cork on train. That's crazy.

On the flip side of that, I reckon we'll be seeing a version 1.5 or 2 with upgraded hardware in maybe 2 years, possibly sooner, so it might be worth getting yer moneys worth.

I don't think the vita is going to be able to stagnate while mobile technologies are being updated at such a rate. Add to that the range of peripherals which are already out, and coming out (specifically things like game pads), and the amazing things being done with the unity game engine, and the fact HTC's newer phones this year are going to be playstation certified and have access to the same back catalogue. I don't see what the vita really has going for it.

Have a 27inch myself but can't really compare them directly as I have the u2711 which is a bit above your price range and monitors are definitely something you want to get right. 27 is a beautiful size to work on though!

• Advertisement

Osmosae wrote: »
    The vita is indeed sexy, but I'm not sold on it. Why do u want 1 if u don't mind me asking? as a portable game device it's battery it's enough reason for me to give it a skip. It mightn't even get u from dublin to cork on train. That's crazy.

On the flip side of that, I reckon we'll be seeing a version 1.5 or 2 with upgraded hardware in maybe 2 years, possibly sooner, so it might be worth getting yer moneys worth.

I don't think the vita is going to be able to stagnate while mobile technologies are being updated at such a rate. Add to that the range of peripherals which are already out, and coming out (specifically things like game pads), and the amazing things being done with the unity game engine, and the fact HTC's newer phones this year are going to be playstation certified and have access to the same back catalogue. I don't see what the vita really has going for it.

Have a 27inch myself but can't really compare them directly as I have the u2711 which is a bit above your price range and monitors are definitely something you want to get right. 27 is a beautiful size to work on though!

well vita would be used more as bedroom toy ( not that way ). while misses watches her biggest losser prick, or master chef prick i could play some games! thats what i do with 3ds now. plus i am geeky gamer so i need everything lol ( sad i know )

i played with vita today and as a machine its just fantastic, but i am not so sold on games. big back catalog of psp games would have my occupied for very long untill software hits the shelf.

on the other hand i would love a monitor. 27 inch would look really sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

Heh, I know the way. If that's the case the vita might be well worth it ......... But a 27 inch would indeed be lovelyl ... I see the problem :D

Osmosae wrote: »
    Heh, I know the way. If that's the case the vita might be well worth it ......... But a 27 inch would indeed be lovelyl ... I see the problem :D

its like choosing between a CAKE and a CAKE :D.

i am wondering what will i do with my samsung T220...

Monitor at the end of the day is still monitor. It may have better specs but if you have a decent one already, it'd be mad to change imo

Once I was also thinking of a new monitor but in the end Im just content with the monitor I have now

Headshot wrote: »
    Monitor at the end of the day is still monitor. It may have better specs but if you have a decent one already, it'd be mad to change imo

Once I was also thinking of a new monitor but in the end Im just content with the monitor I have now

good point too. thought its 27inch! :p

damn i dunno wtf to do...

• Advertisement

Hehehe... Well, you could always get a second one. Depending on how quick Komplett/Amazon are with their shipping, I'd be running two U2412Ms by the end of next week. :)

Hehehe... Well, you could always get a second one. Depending on how quick Komplett/Amazon are with their shipping, I'd be running two U2412Ms by the end of next week. :)

Well I am already with 2 monitor setup, bouth 22 inch, but I am not aiming for eyefinity thought. I just want main monitor pimped! :) .

On the other hand ps vita is a sexy machine lads, I swear to god. If you haven't touched, then go t nearest GameStop and do it!

I wonder is if just that upgrade bug is being a dick and I just want something, so the monitor looks like fun idea... In all fairness bouth monitors work fine and they are not that bad.
    Wheres I was on a way today to preorder vita, had my 100 quid voucher all ready, but then last minute I just went: I'll give it another day to think...

Shadow you have two 22" monitors and you still want a 27" ?

Insane in the main brain

You could always build a server...

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €178.01 + €30 shipping
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€36.26
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€40.74
    be quiet! Pure Power 300 Watt / BQT L7|€33.98
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Core 1000 black|€32.49
    8GB-Kit A-Data Value PC3-1333 CL9|€34.54

Plus a €20 HDD on Adverts, a Linux ISO, and you're set.

You could always build a server...

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €178.01 + €30 shipping
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€36.26
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€40.74
    be quiet! Pure Power 300 Watt / BQT L7|€33.98
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Core 1000 black|€32.49
    8GB-Kit A-Data Value PC3-1333 CL9|€34.54

Plus a €20 HDD on Adverts, a Linux ISO, and you're set.

I got 2 pcs m8, remember :) the other one is collecting dust. Q6600 3gb 6870 :)

I guess I better wait untill one of monitor die. I will do more research on vita so. I really like that little thing!

You can never have enough PCs. ;)

Another (maybe bigger) SSD? A new CPU cooler? Watercooling? Case silencing gear? Speakers? Sound card? Headphones? Keyboard? Mouse?

One of those has to itch...

You can never have enough PCs. ;)

Another (maybe bigger) SSD? A new CPU cooler? Watercooling? Case silencing gear? Speakers? Sound card? Headphones? Keyboard? Mouse?

One of those has to itch...

Got gaming mouse, which is prety damn good. Keyboard alright for me now, I am really bad to switch keyboards. I just take 5 million years to get use too. So I am still using my good old dell keyboard lol!
    Got corsair a70 cooler so it does the job, and Not a fan of water to be honest. On board sounds works well for me :)

Ssd would be good idea. I got 60 for os and bf3, but I could get one for steam? I was jumping bitwren 120gb ssd or 750gb seagate momentus xt hybrid. Second gtx 570 too... Though I want to keep gpu for my birthday at march.

I really like the look of the new XT. I think I might upgrade my 1TB apps drive to one of those over the Summer if I can manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

27" is lovely but it's really hard on the GPU, I mean, really hard. 2 x 580 will be fine but you'll be using both pretty hard in BF3 and not getting stellar FPS! Just to warn you.

Personally, I'd get the Vita and stick at 22" where the GPU need is much less and a lot cheaper. 27" will be dual GPU or stupidly expensive single card work for a good bit yet so you're bumping up your future upgrade costs with the move. I love gaming on 27" but honestly, I think it'd be smarter of me to go for a 3 x 22" set up and game off the centre monitor alone in terms of value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

nesf wrote: »
    27" is lovely but it's really hard on the GPU, I mean, really hard. 2 x 580 will be fine but you'll be using both pretty hard in BF3 and not getting stellar FPS! Just to warn you.

Personally, I'd get the Vita and stick at 22" where the GPU need is much less and a lot cheaper. 27" will be dual GPU or stupidly expensive single card work for a good bit yet so you're bumping up your future upgrade costs with the move. I love gaming on 27" but honestly, I think it'd be smarter of me to go for a 3 x 22" set up and game off the centre monitor alone in terms of value for money.
    I am gaming on a 27" monitor 1920*1200 with my machine on bf3 framerates are fine with it maxed on a hd6870. When I want to finally run bf3 maxed though on all three of my screens I would need a hd7970 for playable framerates.

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    I am gaming on a 27" monitor 1920*1200 with my machine on bf3 framerates are fine with it maxed on a hd6870. When I want to finally run bf3 maxed though on all three of my screens I would need a hd7970 for playable framerates.

I'm assuming he'll get a 27" with the max resolution for that size, i.e. 2560 x 1440 and want to game at that resolution. :)

Edit:

So we're talking 3.6 million pixels vs 2.3 million pixels, or almost 60% more pixels in the full res monitor. This is a substantially bigger load on the GPUs and is what necessitates the second GPU or expensive single GPU for maxing out games.

I dont get the excitement over 2 or 3 screens playing the one game

I couldnt play with the borders of the screen

Well I would be looking in to 1080p 27 inch. As my gtx570 won't handle anything more.

Vita looks better and better with each day. :)

Well I would be looking in to 1080p 27 inch. As my gtx570 won't handle anything more.

Meh to not max resolution I say! Meh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

A gtx570 would max any game at 1080p tbh.

I'll give you a few games that a 580 - overclocked - doesn't max out:

Just Cause 2, Metro 2033, Battlefield 3, Arkam City.

Just off the top of my head. There's probably more, but meh.

1080p - yes. above that - not so much. so if i go for monitor it will be 1080p max. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I finally gave up on Firefox during the week :mad: and made the switch to Chrome and I tell ya I am not looking back.

You should have tried opera instead!

• Advertisement

You should have tried opera instead!

chrome for daily use, for my "other" uses - opera! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement