Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

BloodBath wrote: »
    Well comparing it others is a bit pointless unless they have identical setups. The Frio isn't exactly a great cooler either.

Which model is it? Your temps look normal to me anyway.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermaltake/Frio/

This one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Couldn't get usb to work for screenshots, here's crappy quality pics from phone camera:

Stock:
    Profiles, volts, VRM

Here's screenshot of CPU-Z

OC 4.5 on air:
    Profiles, volts, VRM

See if that helps. Both settings runs 24/7 stable for me. Yes I know chips are different, but stock settings should normally be the same.

Adding to temps topic - I've noticed 2 kinds of temps - Core temps and Socket temps. Socket temps are usually the higher ones, but core temps are what I was looking at and when those hits 65 I'd get BSOD. On idle core would stay around 11 degrees and socket around 20-30. Go figure.

I mention VRM setting because it's that new technology thing that lets you undervolt your OC at a cost of higher heat. Simply put when you have a good cooler, it gives you more OC headroom before going over recommended volts.

raymix wrote: »
    Couldn't get usb to work for screenshots, here's crappy quality pics from phone camera:

Stock:
    Profiles, volts, VRM

Here's screenshot of CPU-Z

OC 4.5 on air:
    Profiles, volts, VRM

See if that helps. Both settings runs 24/7 stable for me. Yes I know chips are different, but stock settings should normally be the same.

Adding to temps topic - I've noticed 2 kinds of temps - Core temps and Socket temps. Socket temps are usually the higher ones, but core temps are what I was looking at and when those hits 65 I'd get BSOD. On idle core would stay around 11 degrees and socket around 20-30. Go figure.

I mention VRM setting because it's that new technology thing that lets you undervolt your OC at a cost of higher heat. Simply put when you have a good cooler, it gives you more OC headroom before going over recommended volts.

Thanks for those. I know mine are a little different but I'll have a look in a minute.

I did notice though, that your CPU-Z screenshot says you're idling at 1.4Ghz with a multiplier of 7.0

At idle, mine stays at 4.0Ghz and 20.0 multiplier. Never drops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Anyone been playing that Star Citizen? How is it? Saw NTMK mention some required specs. Looking at picking it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Anyone been playing that Star Citizen? How is it? Saw NTMK mention some required specs. Looking at picking it up.

ill be picking it up depending on what the gameplay is like

i also like the look of EVE Valkyrie which should be sweet with the rift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

NTMK wrote: »
    ill be picking it up depending on what the gameplay is like

i also like the look of EVE Valkyrie which should be sweet with the rift

I've only really seen hangar footage. Looks interesting though. Normally stick to FPS so bit of a change for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm a backer(who's highly considering upping his pledge).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Fiddling with my graphics overclock again as I felt it wasn't completely stable. Something really weird I've noticed in my case.

I score higher in heaven benchmark if I leave memory clock at stock 1250. Even a slight increase to 1300 lowers my score.

1050 / 1250 #1 - 1189
    1050 / 1250 #2 - 1181

1050 / 1300 #1 - 1139

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'm guessing it's either overheating or doesn't have the voltage for the higher speeds and is throttling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Danger781 wrote: »
    Fiddling with my graphics overclock again as I felt it wasn't completely stable. Something really weird I've noticed in my case.

I score higher in heaven benchmark if I leave memory clock at stock 1250. Even a slight increase to 1300 lowers my score.

1050 / 1250 #1 - 1189
    1050 / 1250 #2 - 1181

1050 / 1300 #1 - 1139

Normally that means its not stable,even if no artifacts/crashing.
    Try a small bump in volts to the memory and that should bring your score up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Just posting here, since my thread in computers & technology forum has now replies..

I'm just looking for advice on the best place to order inkjet cartridges from? Anyone have any experience with the online stores such as inkjet.ie, theinkshop.ie or inkonline.ie, or should I just buy non-generics from a bricks & mortar shop?

Yeah, I've tried inkjet.ie. Their stuff works fine. I can't remember if it was these ones or other ones that the colour ones went dodgy after a while, but the last few were okay.

Just upped the core clock slightly higher again

Stock speeds are Core 925 / Memory 1250

1075 / 1240 #1 - 1175
    1075 / 1250 #2 - 1171

1050 / 1250 #1 - 1186
    1050 / 1250 #2 - 1181

1025 / 1250 #1 - 1139

1050 / 1300 #1 - 1139

Seems stock memory with a slight core overclock is the winner by a substantial amount..

I believe my cards are voltage locked. Using afterburner the dial is blanked out. In the settings menu I have checked both boxes for unlocking voltage control, and voltage monitoring. No change.

That's strange. It's not locked on my Sapphire dual-x 7970. I've never heard of any of the card's being voltage locked to be honest. Do you have overdrive disabled in CCC?

The memory on those cards is usually good for at least 1500 at stock voltage. I've seen them pushed to 1700-1800 with a voltage bump.

Do you have the power limit to +20% ?

That's strange. It's not locked on my Sapphire dual-x 7970. I've never heard of any of the card's being voltage locked to be honest. Do you have overdrive disabled in CCC?

The memory on those cards is usually good for at least 1500 at stock voltage. I've seen them pushed to 1700-1800 with a voltage bump.

Do you have the power limit to +20% ?

44r.png

This was mid benchmark on the Extreme Preset.

1. Yes I have Overdrive disabled.

2. Yes I have the Power Limit set to +20%

3. Strangely enough, when I first benchmarked and overclocked these cards I had it at 1130 / 1650 and it was stable 90% of the time but recently noticed it being more unstable so tried reducing it slightly but it just infinitely more unstable until I brought it back to nearly stock settings. The only change I made in past few weeks was updating to the 13.8 Catalyst beta drivers, and I've started playing BF3.

4. CPU is at stock 4.0Ghz right now but may or may not have been the last time I overclocked these cards. Realised yesterday it was at 4.3Ghz without my knowledge so I have no idea when that happened or if it made an impact, whether positive or negative.

5. From the screenshot above my power consumption seems very low..

• Advertisement

8mc.png

c4q.png

Both cards..

This is mid benchmark yet card two doesn't seem to be doing anything..

Have you tried the second BIOS on the card? There's a switch on the card to switch between them.

What are you testing with? Does it support crossfire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Lads if I was looking into a mechanical keyboard, bang for buck being the goal, what should I be looking at?

Have you tried the second BIOS on the card? There's a switch on the card to switch between them.

What are you testing with? Does it support crossfire?

No I haven't. Didn't realise there was a second BIOS. I thought that was only on the Vapor-X. :confused:

Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and yes I believe it supports Crossfire.

adw.png

Seems I'm running at x16 1.1 as opposed to 2.0

Not sure how accurate that is though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Not saying this is the issue here Bloodbath, but the memory on all 7950s/7970s is not capable of 1600 + speeds. If you have Hynix RAM yes. If you have Elpida RAM, no such luck. It overclocks like ****. My RAM isn't stable at 1350mhz at 1.7v. Hynix has tighter timings too. It's just better all round.

Try Sapphite Trixx. Update it, maybe get a modded version too. I have control over everything via Sapphire Trixx ( core voltage to 1.381v, clock to 1400, even memory voltage to 1.8v).

• Advertisement

Ah I must have Hynix then. I must try push the ram. I've never touched the voltage on it. Do you know what voltage is safe for the Hynix ram?

1.8 seems a bit high. Stock is 1.5. I can get get 1500-1600 at that.

marko93 wrote: »
    Lads if I was looking into a mechanical keyboard, bang for buck being the goal, what should I be looking at?

Try ebay. There are a load of good mechanicals there. It depends on how much you want to pay and how many keys you want. Backlighting ect.

You can get good ones from as little as €60 but most of the full sized ones are around €80+

Ah I must have Hynix then. I must try push the ram. I've never touched the voltage on it. Do you know what voltage is safe for the Hynix ram?

1.8 seems a bit high. Stock is 1.5. I can get get 1500-1600 at that.

I don't know really. Stock voltage for my RAM is 1.6v. I was just saying 1.4 - 1.8v is the range. I haven't messed much with it, but 1.7v at 1350mhz unstable I'm not sure it's worth much investigating! :D I'd have no qualms upping it top 1.6 and seeing what you can do with that (that is assuming you have RAM voltage controls?). The performance gains won't be much, though.

Man, if I had water cooling I could push 1350 plus mhz on my card, and I would actually try do it, except that having this ****ty memory makes me think it's not worth it (I know I've said the memory overclock isn't too important, but it gets more important the higher core clock speeds I get, and hey, it would be nice to have the full package with regard to awesome speeds :P It's the ****ing VRMs. My card's core stays below 65 degrees even at 1250 mhz, but I can't go any higher than this because the VRMs (specifically VRM 1 gets over 90 degrees at this stage. 1250 mhz at 1.04v. I mean the amount of overclock headroom i still have is insane. I can actually bench 1300 on air for a few mins as it is before the VRMs heat up.

I have voltage controls for memory yes. Might see if I can push 1700-1800. I have similar heat issues with VRM's though.

That really doesn't narrow it down or help tbh, I still don't know what I'm looking for. I know many users here have them and was hoping for suggestions of specific models. Thanks anyway though!

There is an abundance of good mechanicals. I've told you it depends on how much you want to spend and how many keys you want. Does it have to be full size? Do you mind losing the numpad or arrow and the keys above it? Do you want it backlit? What cherry mx switches do you want?

If you want recommendations you need to give more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

marko93 wrote: »
    Someone on adverts was selling one, but you have to give us more info.
    ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Just posting here, since my thread in computers & technology forum has now replies..

I'm just looking for advice on the best place to order inkjet cartridges from? Anyone have any experience with the online stores such as inkjet.ie, theinkshop.ie or inkonline.ie, or should I just buy non-generics from a bricks & mortar shop?
    http://www.inkcartridgesireland.ie
    Example;
    HP 920 XL Black: €26.99
    HP 920 XL Colours: €11.99 (each)

Bricks and motar shop prices (like Tescos) can be an added tenner each cartridge at times!

There is an abundance of good mechanicals. I've told you it depends on how much you want to spend and how many keys you want. Does it have to be full size? Do you mind losing the numpad or arrow and the keys above it? Do you want it backlit? What cherry mx switches do you want?

If you want recommendations you need to give more info.

Sorry man! Realise how vague that post was :P

Price, say sub 150? I'd think that would get me something good?
    Size isn't a concern, always had a kb with a numpad but saying that, I'm always up for changes! Back lit would be nice, but not a must, fairly competent with typing anyway. Switches is the thing that I'm unsure of. I don't mind it being a bit loud, but nothing crazy loud. Have you any personal suggestions for switches?

Switch choice is a personal preference. I would say the browns are probably the best all rounders but some people don't like any tactile feedback and prefer the reds or blacks.

A tester kit is the only way to really try them all. There's a guide here to give you an idea of how the different colors work.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Switch choice is a personal preference. I would say the browns are probably the best all rounders but some people don't like any tactile feedback and prefer the reds or blacks.

A tester kit is the only way to really try them all. There's a guide here to give you an idea of how the different colors work.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Brown seems like the best bet for my gaming/college rig. So I'd be looking at one of them, what kinda price can I expect a good durable kb for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I have voltage controls for memory yes. Might see if I can push 1700-1800. I have similar heat issues with VRM's though.

What are you using to check VRM temps??

What are you using to check VRM temps??

HWinfo64

For the mechanical there is seriously a huge selection of good keyboards.

If you want browns these are good. It's full size and has nice extra features like headphone and mic connections and 2 usb connections on the board + blue backlit keys.

No backlight version.

There's more on ebay.

Make sure the layout is UK.

Just downloaded that there, handy program. I don't have VRM sensors so that could possibly be my issue? :confused:

Video Bus: PCIe v3.0 x16 (8.0 Gb/s) @ x16 (2.5 Gb/s)

^ This seems to imply that my PCIe lane isn't running at full capacity?

Just downloaded that there, handy program. I don't have VRM sensors so that could possibly be my issue? :confused:

Video Bus: PCIe v3.0 x16 (8.0 Gb/s) @ x16 (2.5 Gb/s)

^ This seems to imply that my PCIe lane isn't running at full capacity?

Try GPUZ. But not every card has VRM sensors.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Try GPUZ. But not every card has VRM sensors.

Nothing on there either.

I'm pretty sure the FX range of processors don't support pcie3.

It's built into the cpu on i5 ivys and Haswells. Sandys don't have it either.

You won't lose any performance on current cards with pcie2 x 16 anyway.

Nothing on there either.

You don't have them then. :(

I've noticed you guys recommending Samsung SSD over others quite a lot, there must be a good reason behind it. Personally I got Kingston, pretty snappy, runs at around 520MBps when benching. What am I missing here? Quality, longevity?

They consistently bench higher than any other drives I've seen for their price.

The 840 evo's are around the same price as the normal 840's and perform pretty much on par with the 840 pro's.

The pro's have longer longevity and better write speeds on the smaller drives though but it's won't matter for 99% of users anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks BloodBath :)

Any German speakers who can tell me what's going on with this gold, silver and bronze game offerings on HWVS?

http://www.hardwareversand.de/landingpage/index.jsp?lp=never_settle_forever

-Edit- Nm I got the info here.

You get 1 game with 7700, 2 with 7800, 3 with 7900.

Why is hardware versand so popular around? I mean.. amazon has free delivery on most stuff

It comes out cheaper than Amazon for full system builds in most cases and the selection is generally better.

You will receive all of your parts in 1 go as well instead of it coming in bits and pieces.

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind. On a same related note.. does that website generate those nice looking tables for forum? Or is it people making them? I see they are quite handy.

It's fluffys script. You can get it here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056303834

• Advertisement

Awesome, thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I fella I know is making a PC.
    Are EZ Energy PSUs any good?

I never heard of them so I doubt it. Any links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I never heard of them so I doubt it. Any links?

This is all I can really find:
    http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/Item.aspx?goodscode=214999530&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000003&pos_class_kind=T

Seems to be mostly in an Asian language I can't read. Maybe Korean?

It might be ok but I wouldn't trust it myself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement