Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Personally i'd steer clear from unknown cheap brands when it comes to PSU. There's a good read about them after quick google search if you are into horror tales.
    Had a quick glance at PCB and components it uses, they look like standard stuff, nothing fancy, lots of room. Can't tell who makes caps tho, it's all in Korean. Those photos are taken from weird angles, can't tell if they are using flame proof resistors or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

raymix wrote: »
    Personally i'd steer clear from unknown cheap brands when it comes to PSU. There's a good read about them after quick google search if you are into horror tales.
    Agreed, did a reverse image look of the picture, and only Korean sites came up. The PSU is the one part you can't cheap out on, if you value your system! Also, cheap PSU + gaming usually equals a slow death for your rig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Engineer just came in and this happened!

2941664259.png

me:

Spongebob-Happy-spongebob-squarepants-154897_338_432.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Engineer just came in and this happened!

2941664259.png

me:

Spongebob-Happy-spongebob-squarepants-154897_338_432.jpg
    What are you paying for? What were you getting before? Good stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gumbi wrote: »
    What are you paying for? What were you getting before? Good stuff :)

It was 8mbit ( 7mbit at best ). I know its not the greatest, but it is a lot better now then 7mbit lol!

It was 8mbit ( 7mbit at best ). I know its not the greatest, but it is a lot better now then 7mbit lol!

Ha awesome. I'm on Magnet right now. 7~ down ~0.6 up. Pretty painful. At least it's consistent. Expensive though at 45 quid a month (Internet only) and with a 4GB daily cap before throttling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Once a connection is stable, I can live with low download and upload rates. I had to endure Airwire for an entire six months, we were told we were in a great position for it, and although I've no doubt its a good service for most, I could only game between the hours of about 12-3am with a ping of 200-300, and downloads only really worked at at sort of effective rate when I left my PC running overnight. Such a nightmare.

Getting VDSL within next 2-3 weeks, too. Been waiting for years to enjoy proper upload speeds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

hey does anyone know the standard size of screw for mounting the motherboard? I have a corsair 300r case with 6 screws but my new mobo needs 9 screws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

mmmm Work Internet :cool:
    2941913113.png
    Fiddlex wrote: »
    hey does anyone know the standard size of screw for mounting the motherboard? I have a corsair 300r case with 6 screws but my new mobo needs 9 screws.

You should be fine with 6 imo.
    Also I don't know the size , sorry.

• Advertisement

Screw sizes should be mentioned in a manual that came with it.

Screw sizes should be mentioned in a manual that came with it.

yeah the case came with 10 screws i believe but i only used 6 of them. i have this case a while now since last year and cant find the extra screws or the manual and looking online i cant find much either :(. im guessing other mobo screws will work with it though...

yeah the case came with 10 screws i believe but i only used 6 of them. i have this case a while now since last year and cant find the extra screws or the manual and looking online i cant find much either :(. im guessing other mobo screws will work with it though...

well, the standard screws most cases uses are called "Standoff Hexagonal Spacer". Think they are the same that video adapters uses, too.

You can probably recover 3 from old harware like GPU
    Amazon offers variety of sizes, prices are reasonable. You could just grab a ruler and compare, i guess.

well, the standard screws most cases uses are called "Standoff Hexagonal Spacer". Think they are the same that video adapters uses, too.

You can probably recover 3 from old harware like GPU
    Amazon offers variety of sizes, prices are reasonable. You could just grab a ruler and compare, i guess.

My case the corsair 300r doesnt use standoffs as each mounting hole is already raised from the case. im literally looking for the screw that will hold the mobo in the standoff. i have a dead pc here with mobo screws that i could use just wondering if they will fit or not.

My case the corsair 300r doesnt use standoffs as each mounting hole is already raised from the case. im literally looking for the screw that will hold the mobo in the standoff. i have a dead pc here with mobo screws that i could use just wondering if they will fit or not.

I am pretty sure they will. Just unscrew one from each board and compare

yeah i will thanks, getting my new mobo tomo so will compare them then, just was asking to make sure before :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Hi, I have to do a reinstall on windows on to my rig.
    I've got all my steam games downloaded.

I don't want to have to download them again do I copy and paste the steam apps folder to a hard drive or whats the best way to back up all my games and saves etc? thanks

Hi, I have to do a reinstall on windows on to my rig.
    I've got all my steam games downloaded.

I don't want to have to download them again do I copy and paste the steam apps folder to a hard drive or whats the best way to back up all my games and saves etc? thanks

First off, you don't have to reformat your HDD just to reinstall OS, in this case all you need is to run steam executable and it will do it all for you without re-downloading.
    But if you are formating due to virus or w/e then good news are - you don't need to download all games again. Just point installation of each game to a directory that has a game in it, steam should recognize it automatically and install it from there.

Here's a little more what you can do with this:

Does anyone know how to fix Windows movie player for 1080p videos?
    I've recorder a bunch of vids using x264. No problem opening them in 720p, but once it's 1080p I get tons of errors, sometimes only sound comes up, after about 10 odd tries it finally launches. Is this software related or my HDD is too slow?
    Any alternative players? VLC doesn't work and codecs don't seem to fix this.
    I can play them, but it's rather annoying that I have to keep closing WMP several times to get it to work

EDIT: nvm got it to work, copied 64bit wmplayer.exe over 32bit one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Just backed/purchased Star Citizen. Worst decision I've ever made. Got the Digital Bounty Hunter package (€52). Loaded it up and walked around my hangar (for those unaware Star Citizen is in it's pre alpha stage so this is pretty much all you can do for the moment.). I then thought my hangar looked a bit shabby so spent another €32 on the deluxe upgrade. Again, bad idea. There is far too much empty floor space. Contemplating purchasing the RSI Constellation (€180).

I'm a ****ing idiot with money. :(

First off, you don't have to reformat your HDD just to reinstall OS, in this case all you need is to run steam executable and it will do it all for you without re-downloading.
    But if you are formating due to virus or w/e then good news are - you don't need to download all games again. Just point installation of each game to a directory that has a game in it, steam should recognize it automatically and install it from there.

Here's a little more what you can do with this:

put it this way I need a key for windows 7 home premium I've been using the, -rearm trial for the past couple of months. Hence my original question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Just gonna stick this link up for anyone that doesn't know about it yet. Great site for getting discounted games.

Steam, Origin and U-play game keys for less than they go on those services. Rome 2 is €25 on it at the moment.

http://www.g2play.net/store/home.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

BloodBath wrote: »
    Just gonna stick this link up for anyone that doesn't know about it yet. Great site for getting discounted games.

Steam, Origin and U-play game keys for less than they go on those services. Rome 2 is €25 on it at the moment.

http://www.g2play.net/store/home.php

Paid 42 for Rome last night, if only I had of seen this ;___;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

marko93 wrote: »
    Paid 42 for Rome last night, if only I had of seen this ;___;

id forgotten about Rome 2 if only i hadnt seen that :pac:

Amazon Us has a decent sale on atm
    CnC collection $8.99
    Dark Souls $7.49
    Dragon Age bundle $9.99
    Civ V complete for $29.99
    and a few more other deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Passed my repeats, so treated myself to Borderlands 2 as well :D

• Advertisement

Rome 2 went up to €35 since posting this. Meh keep an eye on the site.

They update the deals all the time. Sim City was going for €25 as well.

Rome 2 went up to €35 since posting this. Meh keep an eye on the site.

They update the deals all the time. Sim City was going for €25 as well.

From what? Even 35 is good. PC gaming so much fairer than consoles... 35 is much more reasonable for a game than 50 plus. I had even forgotten Rome 2 was out!!! I've been so busy lately. I've put so many hours into Rome Total War. Campaigns, modded campaigns, I was fairly handy at the online multiplayer too. have dabbled in Napoleon, Empire too. Put a a decent amount of time in Medieval 2 as well. I am disappointed in myself as a fan :)

Gotta look at reviews now :)

It was €25 earlier.

It was €25 earlier.
    price_history_chart.php?product_id=17723

This happens sometimes with G2Play releases :)

If anyone is buying a gpu/ram/anything dram related id advise buying it now as Memory is expected to go through the roof due to a massive fire at Hynix Fabs (they make Nvidias GDDR5 modulus) and 30% of the worlds DRAM)

Id buy now as most of us remember how long it took the price to drop on HDD after the Floods in Thailand and this is 15% of the total DRAM production gone permanently

• Advertisement

I have a Broadleaf mini-itx PC here that keeps restarting whenever I run anything vaguely intensive. Any ideas? I've checked the CPU temps and they're absolutely fine....tried new hard drive and ram. PSU?

Just after realising the power supply I was given is a 12v 3.3a....only 40 watts. I would imagine that's it.

NTMK wrote: »
    If anyone is buying a gpu/ram/anything dram related id advise buying it now as Memory is expected to go through the roof due to a massive fire at Hynix Fabs (they make Nvidias GDDR5 modulus) and 30% of the worlds DRAM)

Id buy now as most of us remember how long it took the price to drop on HDD after the Floods in Thailand and this is 15% of the total DRAM production gone permanently
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/04/dont_panic_says_hynix_china_fab_explosion_is_no_big_deal/
    "Currently, there is no material damage to the fab equipment in the clean room, thus we expect to resume operations in a short time period so that overall production and supply volume would not be materially affected," company representative Seongae Park told Reuters. "In addition, we expect that the majority of damage will be covered through insurance."

According to local media, a chemical explosion ignited a fire in fabs one and two at the Hynix plant in Wuxi during a refit. Hynik has been repurposing the fabs for NAND production instead of DRAM, and reports say the explosion occurred when new equipment was being installed.

So... maybe not such a big deal, hopefully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

:DJust looking at the prices on newegg.com
    For a MSI G45 z77 mobo and a sapphire 7950 vapor x for a grand total of €302. Just wondering will I get my little sis who's coming home for a holiday at the end of the month to bring them home with her....
    Now do they add state taxes to online purchases? She lives in Las Vegas, I'm thinking get them delivered to her house and she packs them and brings them home.
    Come on lads tear my fabulous plan to shreds I know there has to be a catch :o

Edit...just had a look at HWVS its €421.03 plus the €18 p+p :eek:
    Overclockers for €456.75 with p+p :(
    Amazon has them for €423.09:mad:
    Amazon.com has them for €299.66 :D

the_syco wrote: »

Depends on what chemicals were hit by the fire as some of them would require the clean rooms to be chemical scrubbed

The equipment wouldnt be that badly damaged as its usually built like tanks

If they were re-fiting for NAND then it should be ok but its a terrible time for any production to be hit with micron trying to fufill the console ram orders (ESRAM for the xbone is painful to manufacture because its got a tiny yield)

@Portlawslim: I am wondering if services like borderlinx can help out here on big orders. Not sure about their pricing, but they kinda create a fake US address for you, item is actually shipped to them, they repack it and send it internationally afterwards.
    edit: there's a pricing calculator on top of the page.

Has anyone done this?

I've used these guys to buy games from amazon.com cheap, but it was a digital download. Still the address thing worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Paying the 21% VAT is what kills most ideas on American deliveries.

what kinda performance would I get if I bought two of these and put them on sli?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Gotta love UPC internet,got Horizon in today:D

270564.jpg

And i finally figured out how to use image tags:confused:

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/UPC speed test.jpg[/IMG]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

EoinHef wrote: »

270564.jpg

in ur face...

2947095962.png

wait.

270564.jpg

Your upload is pretty bad? Try doing some tests off-peak times if you can. At home in Limerick I get 60 down 10 up with UPC.

what kinda performance would I get if I bought two of these and put them on sli?

Crap. You would be far better off with a single one of these.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Your upload is pretty bad? Try doing some tests off-peak times if you can. At home in Limerick I get 60 down 10 up with UPC.

I was thinking that,thought it was 10% of the download with a max of 10mb up for the 100 and 150mb packages. I had 30mb down and 3mb up before i got this today. Im off to new york tomorrow so wont really get to test it before i get back:(

@Nolars Where abouts are you man? Hopefully UPC will have this rolled out countrywide soon. Im in dublin but couldnt get this speed till a month or two ago. Its a slow process the rollout though

Edit: Sorry i see your in wexford

@Portlawslim: I am wondering if services like borderlinx can help out here on big orders.
    Would that be something like ParcelMotel, in that it would get stuff from the USA (instead of the UK) to Ireland, for a cheaper price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was getting 80mbit down and 10mbit up and frustratingly slow DNS resolving till I bridged my EPC3925 and setup my new ASUS RT-N66U as the router. This took the load off my 3925 which was overheating under heavy load causing random disconnects. Then I set up an oul discarded i5 stock cooler powered from an oul 12v adapter to cool the Asus and UPC routers. Both cases now cool to the touch, no more random disconnects, DNS resolves IPs instantly, and rock solid 29ms ping and 105/10mbits all day and night long.

I know the cooler really worked because I haven't had a single disconnect in the 2 months since the day before I installed the fan and I know bridging and the asus worked because the DNS issue and sub advertised speeds resolved the day I installed it. 60+ days now of solid 105/10 and I run speed tests about 5 or 6 times a day/night.

Pity it's only the withdrawn EPC3925 that can be bridged. I'll be holding onto mine for dear life!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Calibos wrote: »
    Was getting 80mbit down and 10mbit up and frustratingly slow DNS resolving till I bridged my EPC3925 and setup my new ASUS RT-N66U as the router. This took the load off my 3925 which was overheating under heavy load causing random disconnects. Then I set up an oul discarded i5 stock cooler powered from an oul 12v adapter to cool the Asus and UPC routers. Both cases now cool to the touch, no more random disconnects, DNS resolves IPs instantly, and rock solid 29ms ping and 105/10mbits all day and night long.

I know the cooler really worked because I haven't had a single disconnect in the 2 months since the day before I installed the fan and I know bridging and the asus worked because the DNS issue and sub advertised speeds resolved the day I installed it. 60+ days now of solid 105/10 and I run speed tests about 5 or 6 times a day/night.

Pity it's only the withdrawn EPC3925 that can be bridged. I'll be holding onto mine for dear life!!! :D

I had the exact same story with a WNDR3800. F'ck off with your horizon nonsense, not giving up the 3925, even if its a pile of junk.

My previous router before the new horizon box was a Cisco epc2425, by far and away the worst router ive had. Anymore than one device on the network and it pooped its pants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

My previous router before the new horizon box was a Cisco epc2425, by far and away the worst router ive had. Anymore than one device on the network and it pooped its pants!

Yeah, the 3925 wasn't much better. Albeit, we were hammering it with 3 desktops, 3 laptops, 10 phones, 3 iPads and 6 XBMC media players and media server :D Probably why it was withdrawn. I thank my lucky stars I was a day late applying for the Horizon trial though. It's not that you can't ask to keep your 3925 when you get Horizon but I didn't know it was worth keeping at the time of the trial and would have let it walk out the door with the horizon installer!!

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Yeah, the 3925 wasn't much better. Albeit, we were hammering it with 3 desktops, 3 laptops, 10 phones, 3 iPads and 6 XBMC media players and media server :D Probably why it was withdrawn. I thank my lucky stars I was a day late applying for the Horizon trial though. It's not that you can't ask to keep your 3925 when you get Horizon but I didn't know it was worth keeping at the time of the trial and would have let it walk out the door with the horizon installer!!

There is absolutely no way the 2425 would've handled anywhere near that amount of connections. If myself and the missus were watching netflix on xbox(its now just a netflix machine till gold runs out) if either of us had forgotten to turn the wifi off on our phones the video would not get past two bars(netflix increases the resolution as it buffers,two bars looks like 480p on a youtube video). Turn off wifi on the offending phone and it would buffer straight to HD!! Ridiculous considering the phone would be on standby in my pocket,same if she was facebooking on laptop when watching netflix. Speed was always ok just as long as there was only one device on the network:confused:

I did think of going and buying my own router and getting a decent one but just couldnt justify the money in the end,hopefully the horizon box will be an improvement in my case,i dont think it can possibly be worse but time will tell:)

Jus remembered ive to forward a load of ports again,dammit:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement