Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Calibos wrote: »
    Was getting 80mbit down and 10mbit up and frustratingly slow DNS resolving till I bridged my EPC3925 and setup my new ASUS RT-N66U as the router. This took the load off my 3925 which was overheating under heavy load causing random disconnects. Then I set up an oul discarded i5 stock cooler powered from an oul 12v adapter to cool the Asus and UPC routers. Both cases now cool to the touch, no more random disconnects, DNS resolves IPs instantly, and rock solid 29ms ping and 105/10mbits all day and night long.

I know the cooler really worked because I haven't had a single disconnect in the 2 months since the day before I installed the fan and I know bridging and the asus worked because the DNS issue and sub advertised speeds resolved the day I installed it. 60+ days now of solid 105/10 and I run speed tests about 5 or 6 times a day/night.

Pity it's only the withdrawn EPC3925 that can be bridged. I'll be holding onto mine for dear life!!! :D

Would you recommended this then?

I'm not experiencing any issues per se, in fact I'm actually quite happy. Seem to have a fairly stable connection. I do notice that some websites seem to take a while to open up on my browser so I assume as you mentioned that the DNS is taking a while to resolve.

My one complaint - The WiFi signal is fecking awful :mad:

How do you have the fan cooling both routers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Having problems with a recent build.

Specs are:

Item|Price
    AMD A8-5600K Accelerated Processor mit AMD Radeon HD 7560D Grafik Box|€84.40
    ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M, FM2, mATX|€58.13
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9|€58.47
    Samsung SSD 840 120GB SATA 6Gb/s|€81.99
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€79.79
    Zalman T2 Mini Tower - schwarz, ohne Netzteil|€18.61
    Corsair VS Serie VS350, Non-Modular, 80+|€28.72
    LiteOn iHAS124-04 schwarz SATA|€16.44
    ARCTIC COOLING ARCTIC F12|€3.28

The monitor is LG 24EA53
    It's also running Windows 8.

From the start I had a lot of noise/interference from the front audio port and a lot less from the rear motherboard port.

I started getting blinking with the display. The screen would go blank then return. This would happen from time to time, maybe once or twice a day. Then twice it was flicking blank and back to normal really quickly so I restarted both times and it was fine. Just recently it went blank for a long period and it only came back after a bit of fiddling with the connections at the back of the monitor.

I emailed Asrock the mobo manufacturer and they replied with a bios update for the display issue and some suggestions for the audio. No change with the audio and the display was fine until today when I turned the PC on and it just went blank would briefly return then blank, I restarted and the screen had a green/purple tinge, I restarted a few more times and it alternated between both of these. I flashed the newest BIOS for the Mobo and no change. I've just changed from a HDMI cable to a DVI cable and everything seems fine.

I'm looking for information about the HWVS RMA process. I don't have original packaging for any of the parts. They have emailed me back to say I should return any faulty items but it's not clear whether I'd have to cover postage and which components I should send back.

I thought it was just the Mobo (or possibly the case front jacks) but now it seems the HDMI connection on the Mobo or monitor could be an issue.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I have an AMD video card and a Q6600 on a Gigabyte board. This might be of use to you. There is a DRM handshake when you use HDMI which can account for the green/purple tinge you experienced (when it goes wrong). I have had this myself so I think that is nothing to worry about. Usually I just flick the AV options back to Terrestrial TV and back to HDMI and it goes away. I use a HDMI connection to my TV so I can pass graphic card sound through my TV to my stereo which is plugged into the headphone port on my TV. I also use the same monitor as you which is connected to the PC with a HDMI lead and a DVI dongle. I also have a pair of speakers for sound when I don't have the TV on, and they are connected to the audio out socket on my motherboard. When I first used these I got terrible feed back on the speakers. They are USB powered and I realised the feedback was because I had them powered by plugging the USB power lead into the PC. Once I used a USB wall plug to power the speakers the interference went away. I don't know about the screen going black, and it sounds like the monitor or mobo could be defective. If you could use another computer using HDMI you might be able to rule out a defective screen. Best of luck.

EDIT: if the signal to the monitor was lost for some reason, the monitor will tell you there is no signal.

I have an AMD video card and a Q6600 on a Gigabyte board. This might be of use to you. There is a DRM handshake when you use HDMI which can account for the green/purple tinge you experienced (when it goes wrong). I have had this myself so I think that is nothing to worry about. Usually I just flick the AV options back to Terrestrial TV and back to HDMI and it goes away. I use a HDMI connection to my TV so I can pass graphic card sound through my TV to my stereo which is plugged into the headphone port on my TV. I also use the same monitor as you which is connected to the PC with a HDMI lead and a DVI dongle. I also have a pair of speakers for sound when I don't have the TV on, and they are connected to the audio out socket on my motherboard. When I first used these I got terrible feed back on the speakers. They are USB powered and I realised the feedback was because I had them powered by plugging the USB power lead into the PC. Once I used a USB wall plug to power the speakers the interference went away. I don't know about the screen going black, and it sounds like the monitor or mobo could be defective. If you could use another computer using HDMI you might be able to rule out a defective screen. Best of luck.

EDIT: if the signal to the monitor was lost for some reason, the monitor will tell you there is no signal.

From the Headphones and Portable Audio Forum I know that the MoBo audio jack is much cleaner and has less noise than the case front jack at the best of times. The front jack is unusable at the moment though.

I have flashed the newest BIOS for this MoBo and there seems to be an improvement in the noise but it's still beyond acceptable in the front jack.

Still working fine with the DVI cable. The picture returning previously on checking the HDMI cable connection at the back of the monitor and it's now working fine (so far) with the DVI cable and being unusable with the HDMI cable leads me to think that the cable or connection could be an issue. I tried the HDMI cable on the xbox360 and it seemed to be fine. I have another HDMI cable between the TV and UPC HD box I could try just to rule the cable itself out completely.

Could anyone fill me in on the HWVS RMA procedure please? It's not very clear on their site. I think I'll have to ring them, when is a good time to get them?

Thanks again.

Morf wrote: »
    From the Headphones and Portable Audio Forum I know that the MoBo audio jack is much cleaner and has less noise than the case front jack at the best of times. The front jack is unusable at the moment though.

I have flashed the newest BIOS for this MoBo and there seems to be an improvement in the noise but it's still beyond acceptable in the front jack.

Still working fine with the DVI cable. The picture returning previously on checking the HDMI cable connection at the back of the monitor and it's now working fine (so far) with the DVI cable and being unusable with the HDMI cable leads me to think that the cable or connection could be an issue. I tried the HDMI cable on the xbox360 and it seemed to be fine. I have another HDMI cable between the TV and UPC HD box I could try just to rule the cable itself out completely.

Could anyone fill me in on the HWVS RMA procedure please? It's not very clear on their site. I think I'll have to ring them, when is a good time to get them?

Thanks again.

Checked with the other HDMI cable and everything fine. It was possibly just the cable. I'll leave the cable in situ for the time being and hope that is one part of it solved.

Still looking into the RMA process for sending back the MoBo for the audio issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Danger781 wrote: »
    Would you recommended this then?

if you have the bridgable EPC 3925 (basically turns off all routing on the 3925 turning it into a dumb cable modem) then yes I would definately recommend it. If you have any of the other unbridgable UPC routers then I would still recommend the ASUS with the caveat that you have to put the ASUS in your UPC routers DMZ and deal with double NAT'ing, firewall and port forwarding complications.

I'm not experiencing any issues per se, in fact I'm actually quite happy. Seem to have a fairly stable connection. I do notice that some websites seem to take a while to open up on my browser so I assume as you mentioned that the DNS is taking a while to resolve.

My one complaint - The WiFi signal is fecking awful :mad:

Wifi is great on the ASUS

How do you have the fan cooling both routers?

Read the big block of text after the second photo in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057033724

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 is on the way.

http://www.nanoxia-world.com/product/1/55/Deep+Silence+6

LL

LL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Pretty sick looking. The cooling plus silence melding is awesome. Is that 4 intake 120s?

I'm not sure how many it comes with but I think there is still dual 140's in the front with the option for dual 140's on the side and up to 4 140mm exhausts up top/rear. Still with enough room for internal rads with their own fans.

-edit-
    A total of five pre-installed 140mm Nanoxia fan of "Deep Silence" series also contribute to the noise level of the Deep Silence at 6. The fan series has been completely developed to ensure the best combination of cooling performance and noise. To adjust the ventilation to the individual requirements, the housing comes standard with a 2-channel fan controller for up to eight fans. 's unique "Active Air Chimney" may remain closed during normal operation in order to preserve the unity of the case line and the best possible to ensure sound. If necessary, provides support to virtually "by pushing button" active venting of the casing, the "Active Air Chimney" but also the opportunity. Opening the Air Chimney pre-installed 140 mm fans are turned on and ensure rapid removal of heat from the interior of the housing. Once the Air Chimney is closed again, and the fans are disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Lads, got a PC that will only start when the 24 pin is plugged out and reconnected to the mobo. Once this has been done, the case power button shuts it down & restarts as normal. If I remove the 13A socket from the wall to power it down completely, the case button stops working again unless I remove unplug & re connect the 24 pin again. Any ideas? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Definitely looking good, bit sceptical about chimney, tho... as cool as it sounds, is it really necessary? Well, for all the water loop lovers, it might be cool feature to reduce noise when not stressing and running high clocks. Don't see it making any difference for air cooling fans. Just adds to the manufacturing costs.

Amount of usb3.0 ports are definitely designed for selected motherboards.

Lots of space, will fit any giant air cooler out there with lots of space left, pretty awesome.

Also didn't notice side window. Some might not care, but for I think they fits minimalistic case designs pretty well.

glynf wrote: »
    Lads, got a PC that will only start when the 24 pin is plugged out and reconnected to the mobo. Once this has been done, the case power button shuts it down & restarts as normal. If I remove the 13A socket from the wall to power it down completely, the case button stops working again unless I remove unplug & re connect the 24 pin again. Any ideas? thanks.

try the green+black wire combo and test again to see if your PSU is the one acting, also good idea is to add few fans to 4pin molex to simulate more power draw when turning on. (video link in my sigs shows me doing it to test PSU without mobo)
    Essentially you want to rule out motherboard as being responsible for this. It is pointless to play the guessing game.

If it's PSU, it might be many things... (I'd personally check caps before throwing it out, but don't even consider opening if you don't know how to discharge properly)

Tried the paper clip, the PSU starts up ok. No multimeter here so not sure if its putting out 12V.

Thing that confuses me is if there is power to the PSU with the 24 pin connector disconnected from the motherboard, and I then connect the 24 pin to the motherboard-it starts up straight away. As long as I don't diconnect the PSU from the mains, the chassis power button starts and shuts down as normal.

If I disconnect the mains, I cannot start it with the power button, but if I disconnect & re-connect the 24 pin as above it works again :confused:

So the PSU looks OK, the power button & cabling is good, could it be just a knackered mobo?

its a Pentium Dual-Core E5200 @ 2.50GHz, Socket LGA775 Foxconn board. its only purpose is to run a video capture cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

glynf wrote: »
    Tried the paper clip, the PSU starts up ok. No multimeter here so not sure if its putting out 12V.

Thing that confuses me is if there is power to the PSU with the 24 pin connector disconnected from the motherboard, and I then connect the 24 pin to the motherboard-it starts up straight away. As long as I don't diconnect the PSU from the mains, the chassis power button starts and shuts down as normal.

If I disconnect the mains, I cannot start it with the power button, but if I disconnect & re-connect the 24 pin as above it works again :confused:

So the PSU looks OK, the power button & cabling is good, could it be just a knackered mobo?

its a Pentium Dual-Core E5200 @ 2.50GHz, Socket LGA775 Foxconn board. its only purpose is to run a video capture cards.

Thats a strange one,could it be the bios battery?

Don't have a spare one, and damned if I'm taking the one out of my main rig to try & fix this POS :)

Could you unplug anything, but most essential parts before testing again? Just leave mobo, cpu and 1 RAM module... no case fans or any SATA devices connected anywhere.

edit: if you don't feel too lazy, it'd be nice if you could grab a PSU from main rig just for a quick test (with everything attached ofc).

Have organised a replacement psu to test, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

I want to buy a monitor for gaming and work under €200 soon, but I haven't really spent much time investigating all the stuff about them. So I want to ask your opinions on:
    1) IPS - what's with all the fuss about it, is it that good?
    2) 60Hz vs 100Hz vs 120Hz. I understand 120Hz would require me to get a second GPU. But even at 60 fps capped with vsync, the blurriness annoys the living crap out of me.
    3) 24" vs 27" - obviously the bigger the better, but wouldn't bigger screen suffer pixelation?
    4) response time - how important is 2ms vs 5ms in real world?
    5) resolution - I like 1080p, but I wouldn't mind bigger resolution as long as it's HD 16:9. What do you think of 2560 x 1440? Would single 670 be enough for such resolution? I think it would let me turn off AA completely.

I understand getting all the best of these points would require monitor priced at over €500, but maybe someone can help me out pointing out overrated stuff to cut the cost.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Well if your going to go for a 27" display you'll want to go for 2560x1440 as 1080p looks fairly bad on that big of a screen.Have a look at the Qnix screens.It's a 27" 2560x1440 display that can be overclocked to 120Hz and costs around €300 I have one and its amazing.This thread has lots of info http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056587214
    I was running mine off a single 670 for a while with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

raymix wrote: »
    1) IPS - what's with all the fuss about it, is it that good?
    Yes, I will never go back to using a TN panel as my main monitor again. the colour production on ips is second to none
    2) 60Hz vs 100Hz vs 120Hz. I understand 120Hz would require me to get a second GPU. But even at 60 fps capped with vsync, the blurriness annoys the living crap out of me.

120Hz is really only worth the money if youre playing certain FPS's at high level. a good 60hz monitor shouldnt have any problem with what sounds to me like ghosting
    3) 24" vs 27" - obviously the bigger the better, but wouldn't bigger screen suffer pixelation?
    24" for 1080p is the max i would go. above that id have to go to 1440/1600 as things start to get pixelated
    4) response time - how important is 2ms vs 5ms in real world?

Non existant imo unless you play some games at a pro level and even then its debatable
    5) resolution - I like 1080p, but I wouldn't mind bigger resolution as long as it's HD 16:9. What do you think of 2560 x 1440? Would single 670 be enough for such resolution? I think it would let me turn off AA completely

You would probably need a second gpu for a lot games even with AA off

Check out the yamakasi catleap thread squaredude linked to as they tick most of the boxes for €300~

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

just got some of those corsair be quiet fans there so much more quite then my old artic ones :D.. tho screwing them in was a pain in the ass :mad:

You should have just turned down your old Arctic ones. They are fine when running at around 800-900 rpm.

BloodBath wrote: »
    You should have just turned down your old Arctic ones. They are fine when running at around 800-900 rpm.

They were turned down, and were still noisey Pretty happy with the corsair ones tho:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Must be my frist time seeing windows 8 as a recommended spec for a game

BF4

Headshot wrote: »
    Must be my frist time seeing windows 8 as a recommended spec for a game

BF4

And 3GB VRAM. TBH, it sounds like AMD are pushing that. I'm sure the extra VRAM will come in handy soon enough, but that time is not yet upon us.

Gumbi wrote: »
    And 3GB VRAM. TBH, it sounds like AMD are pushing that. I'm sure the extra VRAM will come in handy soon enough, but that time is not yet upon us.

BF3 @ 1440p high quality I'm almost positive I've seen them going well above 2GB..

BF3 @ 1440p high quality I'm almost positive I've seen them going well above 2GB..

Most my 6970's hit @1440 ultra was 1.6-7. I can test later to see though

NTMK wrote: »
    Most my 6970's hit @1440 ultra was 1.6-7. I can test later to see though

I honestly can't remember for sure as it's been a couple of weeks since I last played.. So I could be miles off the mark :P

1440p is a diff ball game. Maybe companies are starting to recommend settings based on higher reses. Moral of the story is, 2GB still a-ok for 1080P IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im debating

I reckon im going to replace my ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance C70 and Intel Core i5-2500K but im not sure about my 2 gtx 670s, any point?

Hows every one feeling about BF4 settings ?

271122.png

Ordered Aerocool VS-92 ATX Part-Mesh USB 3.0 Gaming Case, after a week, it hasn't even left it's country of origin, comes up as undeliverable and provides me full refund. The customer service useless with no idea what happened, telling me to order again... yeah right.

oh boy..... :confused:

Received so many crap to this address no prob

I may have to buy another SSD and GPU but good so far nice to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It looks like owners of some of Nvidias higher end cards(gtx 680/770) will not meet the recommended graphics memory.

tuxy wrote: »
    It looks like owners of some of Nvidias higher end cards(gtx 680/770) will not meet the recommended graphics memory.

That's being pushed by AMD no doubt. There's no way that's referring to 1080p. It will def be a problem for nVidia at 1440p if it means that the engine will be even greedier at those reses, though.

• Advertisement

Nvidias GPU architectecture uses a lot less memory than AMD's for some reason. Like 500mb-1gb in some games

3GB would be required for bragging rights, not actual experience. The only thing using so much memory would be HD textures, and I still kinda doubt they will manage to use all that amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

raymix wrote: »
    3GB would be required for bragging rights, not actual experience. The only thing using so much memory would be HD textures, and I still kinda doubt they will manage to use all that amount.

I know this but the recommended specs are still 3gb this could deter many from buying nvidia cards regardless of performance.

I know this but the recommended specs are still 3gb this could deter many from buying nvidia cards regardless of performance.

That's a valid point there. Shouldn't affect those who actually do some research or ask around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

A new SSD and I'm good to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'll be able to run it, but dunno if I'll buy it. All depends on server side admin tool, and how it handles clan matches, and/or server mods. BF3 sucked regarding this, and I'd say most clans won't be holding their breaths over this...

=-=

Rome 2 has slid down to €32, so it may slide down further, depending on sales.

How can they say a 7870 is recommended with 3gb vram when there aren't any 3gb 7870's (i think)?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

game4it70 wrote: »
    How can they say a 7870 is recommended with 3gb vram when there aren't any 3gb 7870's (i think)?

:confused:
    Had a look, and off topic, found a video with "ultra high 1080p on hd 7870 3gb with fx injector", yet they upload with it 480p...! But couldn't find any 3GB 7870's for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

Do you think a single 670 OC 2GB will play BF4 alright @1440p with auto settings, dont care for ultra or high at all. I play BF3 at ultra and its fine but im not a hardcore computer gamer.

the_syco wrote: »
    Had a look, and off topic, found a video with "ultra high 1080p on hd 7870 3gb with fx injector", yet they upload with it 480p...! But couldn't find any 3GB 7870's for sale.

could it be a leak to possibility of a new gpu to be released? :confused:

could it be a leak to possibility of a new gpu to be released? :confused:

AMD are releasing new cards around the same time as Bf4 comes out.

To me it looks like EA/Dice are in bed with AMD and are really trying to push the "3gb" to make people lean towards getting a card from AMD as 3gb is more common with them compared to Nvidia.

They also said at E3 that Bf4 will run better on AMD systems.

game4it70 wrote: »
    AMD are releasing new cards around the same time as Bf4 comes out.

To me it looks like EA/Dice are in bed with AMD and are really trying to push the "3gb" to make people lean towards getting a card from AMD as 3gb is more common with them compared to Nvidia.

They also said at E3 that Bf4 will run better on AMD systems.

well we no that, its says it on the website.. Look at all the games optimized to invidia because of phzsex...

I've played them Being honest its a let down on a amd rig I always get jutterey play Boarder lands 2 perfect example

I play tomb raider on my rig on ultra high settings and its beautiful

So why wouldn't one of the biggest games of all time IMO be set to drop with new cards it makes perfect sense make money, name of the game and for years I've always got the impression that uneducated people think AMD are **** when its not the case.

Im delighted that bf3 is on AMD its just give the invidia/intel folk a kick in the nuts. :D

well we no that, its says it on the website.. Look at all the games optimized to invidia because of phzsex...

I've played them Being honest its a let down on a amd rig I always get jutterey play Boarder lands 2 perfect example

So why wouldn't one of the biggest games of all time IMO be set to drop with new cards it makes perfect sense make money, name of the game and for years I've always got the impression that uneducated people think AMD are **** when its not the case.

Im delighted that bf3 is on AMD its just give the invidia/intel folk a kick in the nuts. :D
    What specs was that AMD rig? You might just have been playing on a low end card/CPU.

It's because physx runs on the cpu and not the gpu on amd systems. Certain physics tasks really need the parallel processing power of a gpu. Stuff like liquid physics eats cpu cycles.

Proprietary software like Phys-x is bollox and harms the industry though. Gpu based physics should be standard on any card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Need to pick up a netbook. Laptop is f'cked and I need something for college. Ultrabook would rock, but no way do I have the cash so its down to something for €300-400.

Are there any decent netbooks left? Market seems to have been decimated by tablet mania.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement