Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Anyone ever order off of G2Play.net? Ordered off of them last night and got this in an email:

To verify your order in our store we must confirm some details with you:
    Firstly , have you ever used a proxy server to make an order in our store ? If not, I will require some details about your last logging ( IP address).
    Secondly, could you also tell me which city you are currently in ?
    This is a standard procedure in our store and it would be extremely helpful if you could provide me with the information requested above.

Is this normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

never got that before. I presume you werent using a proxy server?

They have a live help section, which is always helpful

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Anyone ever order off of G2Play.net? Ordered off of them last night and got this in an email:

To verify your order in our store we must confirm some details with you:
    Firstly , have you ever used a proxy server to make an order in our store ? If not, I will require some details about your last logging ( IP address).
    Secondly, could you also tell me which city you are currently in ?
    This is a standard procedure in our store and it would be extremely helpful if you could provide me with the information requested above.

Is this normal?

Haven't come across that one myself. You didn't order a Russian/Eastern european version of a steam key or something by accident?, in fairness to them they do try to ensure you can't buy region locked game versions of games that will be no use to you.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Haven't come across that one myself. You didn't order a Russian/Eastern european version of a steam key or something by accident?, in fairness to them they do try to ensure you can't buy region locked game versions of games that will be no use to you.

No. At least I don't think I did. I just pre-ordered Watchdogs, entered in my details and got that email.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sarz91 wrote: »
    No. At least I don't think I did. I just pre-ordered Watchdogs, entered in my details and got that email.

Actually from a quick google it appears they sometimes ask such (silly) questions when a credit card payments are made, perhaps the Credit card location doesn't exactly match your current IP location or something like that. I have always used Paypal on G2Play so that may be why I have never got anything like this before.

As headshot says the live chat is pretty fast usually so probably quickest to try resolve it there.

Actually from a quick google it appears they sometimes ask such (silly) questions when a credit card payments are made, perhaps the Credit card location doesn't exactly match your current IP location or something like that. I have always used Paypal on G2Play so that may be why I have never got anything like this before.

As headshot says the live chat is pretty fast usually so probably quickest to try resolve it there.

Got it sorted there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Motherboard check, CPU check and RAM check. Nearly finished my journey! Have to wait till tomorrow to install though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Noticing something very weird while playing Alan Wake..

I've been experiencing terrible texture issues with Alan Wake since I started playing it last night. Random white flashes, purple checkered flashes, etc.

Have a very very modest overclock in Afterburner, however even after returning it to stock settings the same issues keep occuring.

When I go to record video with Afterburner, all my issues go away.

.. I don't understand

Playing @ 1440p with everything set to low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Danger781 wrote: »
    Noticing something very weird while playing Alan Wake..

I've been experiencing terrible texture issues with Alan Wake since I started playing it last night. Random white flashes, purple checkered flashes, etc.

Have a very very modest overclock in Afterburner, however even after returning it to stock settings the same issues keep occuring.

When I go to record video with Afterburner, all my issues go away.

.. I don't understand

Playing @ 1440p with everything set to low

Check if any other games have similar issues, before looking in to hardware issue. Make sure to get all the latest drivers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I think it's an issue with Crossfire. Try it with 1 card.

• Advertisement

Another good humble bundle this week. A lot of top quality indie games there and a couple of bigger titles.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Seems to be running okay now after fiddling with a few things..

1. Changed the game from from fullscreen to windowed after reading online that it solved the issue for some people but not others

2 Added - noblur and - showfps to the launch options. The blur was wrecking my head anyway and I also wanted to confirm that I wasn't rendering any more than 60fps

However I did notice that only one card seemed to be doing the work this time around. Only one card was reporting high temps, one card was set to my over clocked settings while the other was stock, one was high load one was 0, you get the picture. Crossfire was most definitely enabled which is why it was strange.

Seems good for now but we'll see again in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Hey guys, seems I have a bit of a problem with my new build.

Got my first build up and running there about a week ago and all was well. However, for the last few days I can't seem to download anything.

It started when youtube stopped buffering so I thought it was a problem with flash player. But now it seems all downloads I attempt stop after a couple seconds:( Like, I'll get a couple mb's of a file or a few seconds of video before it all grinds to a halt. Although funnily enough I can still download games from Steam no bother.

Anyone experience anything like this before:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Rob2D wrote: »

Got my first build up and running there about a week ago and all was well. However, for the last few days I can't seem to download anything.

It started when youtube stopped buffering so I thought it was a problem with flash player. But now it seems all downloads I attempt stop after a couple seconds:( Like, I'll get a couple mb's of a file or a few seconds of video before it all grinds to a halt. Although funnily enough I can still download games from Steam no bother.

Could check in Control Panel on device manager to see if there is any issues with the Network Adatpers?

Happened me before,it was a windows update that disabled the adapter and i couldnt connect to the internet

Edit:Could be a browser issue aswell,what browser you use?

`

How much space do you have left on your ssd? It's hardly full is it? You should move your downloads directory to your hdd. There's a few other ways of saving ssd space as well. I think Monotype has a guide in his sig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Try another browser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Turn router/modem off and on?

I've done all those things already but the problem persists.

So I just downloaded a game from Steam there and while it was downloading I was able to watch youtube. The video buffered normally. But as soon as my download was finished the problem came back.

How weird is that?

Has VAT gone up in Germany? Price hikes on everything on HWVS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

BloodBath wrote: »
    Has VAT gone up in Germany? Price hikes on everything on HWVS.

Examples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

So I just downloaded a game from Steam there and while it was downloading I was able to watch youtube. The video buffered normally. But as soon as my download was finished the problem came back.

How weird is that?

Check your AntiVirus/Internet Security software.
    I've had problems with Avast & YouTube from time to time.
    Something to do with their Web Shield or Network Shield.

Try disabling your AntiVirus temporarily and see if that helps.
    (If it's Avast; right click on taskbar icon, go to "Avast Shield controls" and "Disable for 10 minutes".)

Gumbi wrote: »
    Examples?

Almost everything is gone by at least 2%.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Almost everything is gone by at least 2%.
    They usen't apply the Irish tax (21 vs 19% in Gere), so perhaps they are doing so automatically if you are surfing the site from Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Gumbi wrote: »
    They usen't apply the Irish tax (21 vs 19% in Gere), so perhaps they are doing so automatically if you are surfing the site from Ireland?

The standard VAT rate here is 23%, not 21%. When EU companies breach a certain threshold of sales in other EU countries, they become obliged to register for local VAT. Perhaps HWVS has reached that limit.

They've been charging the extra VAT for ages, so not that.

• Advertisement

Moon54 wrote: »
    Check your AntiVirus/Internet Security software.
    I've had problems with Avast & YouTube from time to time.
    Something to do with their Web Shield or Network Shield.

Try disabling your AntiVirus temporarily and see if that helps.
    (If it's Avast; right click on taskbar icon, go to "Avast Shield controls" and "Disable for 10 minutes".)

No, I only have Windows Defender. Turned off windows firewall to check but the problem persisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I had problems with YouTube before. I couldn't get the dam thing to stream after a windows update. I did a System Restore and it worked fine, even after I download the same windows update again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Can't believe the issues I'm having trying to sell the G1610, 8Gb and 7770 machine for even 280. All I'm getting is offers by email like 'offer 110' and 'swap for a 20gb xbox with 2 games'. Same story with a 23" LG Nvidia 3D Monitor with the 3D glasses kit. Can't even get a good offer on it. Would happily take 90 at this point. Even tempted to just sell my 27" and go back to the Nvidia if it means not having 2 lying around.

Can't believe the issues I'm having trying to sell the G1610, 8Gb and 7770 machine for even 280. All I'm getting is offers by email like 'offer 110' and 'swap for a 20gb xbox with 2 games'. Same story with a 23" LG Nvidia 3D Monitor with the 3D glasses kit. Can't even get a good offer on it. Would happily take 90 at this point. Even tempted to just sell my 27" and go back to the Nvidia if it means not having 2 lying around.

Ah man :/. What a joke. I still haven't got my system up on Adverts yet. I did get a buyer on my 3570k/mobo though which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I recently bought even more stuff lately as well, so my room is just a mess of stuff that I really had planned on having gone by now. Not sure whether I should just get rid of it at stupid prices, or hang onto it in the hope that someone makes a decent offer in time.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I recently bought even more stuff lately as well, so my room is just a mess of stuff that I really had planned on having gone by now. Not sure whether I should just get rid of it at stupid prices, or hang onto it in the hope that someone makes a decent offer in time.

Post them here people might be interested :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Fair play to Overclockers.

I ordered a GTX 670 a month ago and I love it. I got Splinter Cell: Blacklist free with it too. I looked yesterday and they are now also offering Batman: Arkham Origins with the same card so I chanced my arm and emailed them. Got a shipping confirmation this morning for the Batman CD key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭alex1997123

I ordered a GTX 670 a month ago and I love it. I got Splinter Cell: Blacklist free with it too. I looked yesterday and they are now also offering Batman: Arkham Origins with the same card so I chanced my arm and emailed them. Got a shipping confirmation this morning for the Batman CD key.

You lucky son of a...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

You know, you can give that key to me if you want.. Seriously, no hassle from me.

Anyone ever have any experiences with Be!Quiet SFX PSUs like this 350W? Not too bothered about load noise too much just want to know if they are near silent under normal operation.

Trying to plan a HTPC build at the moment, so I am toying with the idea of throwing one into a Silverstone Sugo SG05BB-Lite, although probably won't get round to it until the new year.

I was originally going to go super small like the ISK-110, but I am starting to lean towards a mITX cube now that will still fit under the TV but would give me the option of some light gaming in the future and more drive bays etc (Prodigy is lovely but too big for my taste as a HTPC). But the sugo and a decent SFX PSU should give me the option to pair a mid range card with a celeron/pentium, or perhaps even the biggest TDP Kaveri processors in the new year.

I have that PSU. Ya, you'd hear it a little but not really noticeable if you're sitting 10 feet away from the HTPC. I can't remember which was noisier now, the heatsink or the PSU. Never had it under load anyway, so wouldn't be able to tell you what that's like. If you had a good case or have it tucked away under a tv, you probably wouldn't hear anything.

Anybody know when the new AMD cards will be announced?

Have a 1440 monitor on the way and im currently holding off on getting another 7950 incase theres a price drop on the 7000 series.

Does anybody reckon AMD will have single card solutions to 1440 bar the very top end of the new range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Think the NDA is lifted Wednesday?

Think the NDA is lifted Wednesday?

Thanks man, just dont wanna buy a second card and find I should have waited. Should at least get a few details if the nda is lifted wednesday

Would a USB 3.0 memory key connected to the motherboard headers (using an adapter) make a good boot device for a HTPC that streams from a NAS?
    Any ideas what the read/write speeds and latencies would be like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

whats the os on the htpc? my main worry would be the constant read/writes of a typical os disk tiring out the key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

High speed RAM - Is it worth it? DDR3 1333MHz vs 2400MHz Test

Wossack wrote: »
    whats the os on the htpc? my main worry would be the constant read/writes of a typical os disk tiring out the key

Maybe Mint or Linux running XBMC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone else having problems with steam? Two of my three machines get "Cannot connect to steam" after entering my password. Third works instantly.

Interesting development from Dice/AMD, a new low level rendering API called Mantle for the PC, coming in an update for BF4 in December. I wpnder what it will bring to the table in terms of performance

http://www.techspot.com/news/54134-amd-launches-mantle-api-to-optimize-pc-gpu-performance.html

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems with steam? Two of my three machines get "Cannot connect to steam" after entering my password. Third works instantly.

could be something to do with the steam OS thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

ED E wrote: »

Happens to me quite a bit when im hopping between pcs it will eventually work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NTMK wrote: »
    Happens to me quite a bit when im hopping between pcs it will eventually work

Nope, not that. Logins working fine on the site from any machine, and the client from one. But not the other two. For hours. Tried the blob files, removing hamachi adapter etc. AP from my phone. Ended up wiping all files except steam.exe and steamapps folder. Boom, working. Corrupted itself on two machines simultaneously it seems. Havent had a bad patch from valve in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Interesting development from Dice/AMD, a new low level rendering API called Mantle for the PC, coming in an update for BF4 in December. I wpnder what it will bring to the table in terms of performance

http://www.techspot.com/news/54134-amd-launches-mantle-api-to-optimize-pc-gpu-performance.html

Yeah, looks interesting. I wonder what Microsoft make of the past few days? First Steam OS and now this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Mantle could be huge for AMD even it only gives GCN an advantage in BF4.

I was wondering how AMD would leverage the console wins if they get other devs on board and it actually works its a game changer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement