Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Hi guys. Just wanted to ask a question.

I've noticed a weird grid like pattern on my LG IPS panel that shows up in videos, pictures and in games.

It's especially noticeable in dense areas of detail like grass/tree sprites in games.

I'm not sure if a screenshot will even show it as I'm pretty sure it's the monitor as it's not visible when I output the same scene to my TV.

Does anyone know what this is and how I can reduce or remove it?

I've already considered sending it back as it has developed 5 dead pixels in the lower left and it's still in warranty. I don't want the same monitor again if it still has this grid pattern problem though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Sounds like it might be 'cross-hatching' ?

Can do a google of that term and see if any results show up anything similar to what you're experiencing. You can take a picture with your phone close up, as yea, it sounds like a monitor artifact, that wont be captured by a screenshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's cross hatching alright and it's pretty bad. Once you notice it it's all you can see.

Seems to be a common problem with LG AH-IPS panels which are used by Dell and some others as well.

Time to get a refund I think and maybe step up to 1440p.

Thats a shame! I think some people are more sensitive to it then others, but yea, once you start seeing something like that, its hard to ignore

though with the dead pixels as well, prob no harm going for the refund (actually, good few places dont refund for dead pixels alone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Well thats the fastest delivery I've ever gotten. Ordered a 4790k and a new mobo and a few other bits and pieces from overclockers.co.uk yesterday and it arrived this morning. And they threw in a bag of haribo☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Squaredude wrote: »
    Well thats the fastest delivery I've ever gotten. Ordered a 4790k and a new mobo and a few other bits and pieces from overclockers.co.uk yesterday and it arrived this morning. And they threw in a bag of haribo☺

Have you much experience overclocking haswell? (It involves more than just adjusting vcore and clock multiplier and watching temps). Let me know how your chip overclocks. What cooling do you have? I'm thinking of grabbing one to see how it overclocks, and if it out performs my 4770k, I can sell it, or vice versa if I'm unlucky with the 4790k).

Have you much experience overclocking haswell? (It involves more than jusr adjusting vcore and clock multiplier and watching temps). Let me know how your chip overclocks. What cooling do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Looks like youtube is about to join the 21st century and start supporting 48 and 60 fps playback. Welcome step forward

http://kotaku.com/youtube-is-getting-60-fps-support-finally-1596759330

Gumbi wrote: »
    Have you much experience overclocking haswell? (It involves more than just adjusting vcore and clock multiplier and watching temps). Let me know how your chip overclocks. What cooling do you have? I'm thinking of grabbing one to see how it overclocks, and if it out performs my 4770k, I can sell it, or vice versa if I'm unlucky with the 4790k).
    I have zero experience overclocking haswell, but I'll be changing that over the next few days. Any good guides you'd recommend? My rig is water cooled so I wont be able to get up and running until Monday when I have some time off work.

I have zero experience overclocking haswell, but I'll be changing that over the next few days. Any good guides you'd recommend? My rig is water cooled so I wont be able to get up and running until Monday when I have some time off work.

Look up haswell 101 on overclock.net by someoje called sin. It's a pretty comprehensive guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

yawhat!'s account has been closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

hmmm with all this talk of z87, z97s, haswell vs devil's canyon vs upcoming broadwell, I'm virtually in the stone age with my ivy bridge & z77 board :P

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    hmmm with all this talk of z87, z97s, haswell vs devil's canyon vs upcoming broadwell, I'm virtually in the stone age with my ivy bridge & z77 board :P

Don't get Haswell or DC! Haswell is only marginally faster than IvyB and overclocks the same, DC is the same as Haswell. IvyB ypu're fine for years if you overclock unless it's a vanity upgrade. :)

Don't get Haswell or DC! Haswell is only marginally faster than IvyB and overclocks the same, DC is the same as Haswell. IvyB ypu're fine for years if you overclock unless it's a vanity upgrade. :)

They changed from the solder method of heat dissipation with sandy bridge to cheaper thermal paste method for ivy bridge, so I think ivys didnt o/c as well and got hotter doing so.

Afaik haswell has the same heat dissipation system as ivys, but they've changed back to a solder method (or better than thermal paste solution at least) for the new Devils Canyon??

They changed from the solder method of heat dissipation with sandy bridge to cheaper thermal paste method for ivy bridge, so I think ivys didnt o/c as well and got hotter doing so.

Afaik haswell has the same heat dissipation system as ivys, but they've changed back to a solder method (or better than thermal paste solution at least) for the new Devils Canyon??

Yes, the DC are cooler but they're not overclocking any higher than Haswell so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Seems like it's just lip service from Intel - the paste is near identical to the previous stuff according to a few posters on other forums (they delidded). It might be marginally better, but nowhere near as effective as solder. The IHS is definitely a wee bit thinner on Devil's Canyon though, so at least that's something.

I'll be building a 4790K rig in August/September hopefully, but I'll see quite the boost coming from an E8400. :D

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Seems like it's just lip service from Intel - the paste is near identical to the previous stuff according to a few posters on other forums (they delidded). It might be marginally better, but nowhere near as effective as solder. The IHS is definitely a wee bit thinner on Devil's Canyon though, so at least that's something.

I'll be building a 4790K rig in August/September hopefully, but I'll see quite the boost coming from an E8400. :D
    It's not solder, but from the reviews of seen the temperature drops apples to apples (voltage and clock speed) are quantifiable and decent enough.

But at the end of the end of the day, a temperature drop is not much use if they are not overclocking higher.

So I'm seeing temps of around 30-33c on my 4790k when idle. Haven't had a chance to put it under stress yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Considering upgrading my underpowered GPU (6870), but now I'm looking at changing the CPU (i5 2500k) as well. Any point, is a 3rd gen enough of a increase to bother and going to the 4th means a new motherboards so an extra expense; would still be looking at the higher end unlocked i5s.

Varik wrote: »
    Considering upgrading my underpowered GPU (6870), but now I'm looking at changing the CPU (i5 2500k) as well. Any point, is a 3rd gen enough of a increase to bother and going to the 4th means a new motherboards so an extra expense; would still be looking at the higher end unlocked i5s.

Upgrading your processor from 2500k to 3570k isn't worth it, only a few % difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Upgrading your processor from 2500k to 3570k isn't worth it, only a few % difference.

If any to be honest. With silicon Lottery you might even be better off with 2500k. If you got 2500k there is no point to upgrade to anything that is out in the market right now.

I have a 3570k myself, bought 2 years ago along with a z77 board.

Similar situation for me, there's no point upgrading to haswell, and even if I were to do so, I'd have to spend more on a new mobo.

My GPU is a gigabyte gtx 670, so not really much point upgrading 1 generation to the 700 series for single screen gaming. I'd rather wait for the 800 series to be released.

My HDs consist of a samsung 830 256 SSD and a mechanical seagate 2tb 7200 drive.

Was thinking of getting a new 500gb ssd, the crucial mx100 ones seem to be a little cheaper than the samsung ones. With the Samsungs, I'm not sure if the pros are worth the 50% premium over the evos though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If any to be honest. With silicon Lottery you might even be better off with 2500k. If you got 2500k there is no point to upgrade to anything that is out in the market right now.
    I have a 3570k myself, bought 2 years ago along with a z77 board.

Similar situation for me, there's no point upgrading to haswell, and even if I were to do so, I'd have to spend more on a new mobo.

My GPU is a gigabyte gtx 670, so not really much point upgrading 1 generation to the 700 series for single screen gaming. I'd rather wait for the 800 series to be released.

My HDs consist of a samsung 830 256 SSD and a mechanical seagate 2tb 7200 drive.

Was thinking of getting a new 500gb ssd, the crucial mx100 ones seem to be a little cheaper than the samsung ones. With the Samsungs, I'm not sure if the pros are worth the 50% premium over the evos though.

What I figured, I won't be in a position to play much on PC for another 3-6 months due to work so wasn't really planning on it soon but just wanted a bit of agreement on it. I keep seeing good deals and need a bit of peer pressure to resist.

Have yu overclocked your 2500k much? Good chance you could reach 5ghz on air with those chips with good cooling. 4.6 minimally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Selling probably one of the most graphics around lads

http://imgur.com/CRe0ujb

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-353-SP

PM me for details

Mind telling me how she cools? Core, vrm etc. Beauty of a card. If only I had the cash.... Done any overclockimg with it? Any numbers on that too?

Mind telling me how she cools? Core, vrm etc. Beauty of a card. If only I had the cash.... Done any overclockimg with it? Any numbers on that too?

One of the best cards I owned for cooling and its whisper quiet. Its a pity I cant really give you any more detail because iv barely used it. I just dont have the time at the moment. I think within a month iv used it only twice for 20mins

No overclocking im afraid either even thou its very much possible to OC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So unbelievably pissed off. I bought a B-Grade 7970 from Dabs a while ago. It was faulty out of the box, and very clearly so - no way it could have passed 3D testing. Sent it back awhile ago, didn't keep the postal receipt (was packaged well with their address and my return address on it), they're saying now they never got it. Agh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

That's a nightmare..Maybe try the post office-if you remember the approximate date you sent it and give them your name/address they might be able trace it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Lads anyone know anywhere in Europe that sells transparent black acrylic sheets? Google / eBay are letting me down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Here is tinted black so not sure if its transparent enough for you.
    http://chilledpc.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_70&product_id=63
    ..Brian.. wrote: »
    Lads anyone know anywhere in Europe that sells transparent black acrylic sheets? Google / eBay are letting me down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Opps should of said thicker than 3mm! Looking for something 8 - 10mm thick maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Opps should of said thicker than 3mm! Looking for something 8 - 10mm thick maybe.

Give a look here,

They carry all sorts-coloured acrylics, Polypropylene, PVC etc. and also cut to size.

Question. If you dont have a receipt to a GPU, can you still RMA it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You'll generally need something; even a screenshot of your order history from wherever you ordered it from should do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Headshot wrote: »
    Question. If you dont have a receipt to a GPU, can you still RMA it?

Depends who you bought it off and where you intend to RMA it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Whats DIMM about? I know theres DDR, DDR2, DDR 3 etc when it comes to RAM, but is DIMM something related or different?

they're just what the circuit boards the chips are mounted to are called afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, how they're packaged. Older modules were SIMM and RIMM (made by rambus, used in some pentium 4 systems).
    Nowadays, all you need to worry about is DIMM for desktop and SO-DIMM for laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

One last question: How do I know which PSU is suitable for the build I'm making, and how do I know what wattage I need?

the cheapest PSU I'm seeing is a 700w one, which seems odd to me because I would have presumed that would be for higher usage pc's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The cheapest one might be labelled as "700W" but that doesn't mean it is. Cheap ones are over rated. Expect to spend €50 on a reasonable PSU.

First read the "About Power Supply Units" guide linked in my signature. Next, a good place to start is to use a PSU calculator. This one isn't too bad for a guideline.
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

When you're satisfied, pick one of a suitable wattage and check the PSU review database (also linked in my signature) to make sure you're not buying a cheapo one. Basically most of the cheap ones are low quality.

Alternatively, just post up your specs and where you intend to buy and we can help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

oak5548 wrote: »
    One last question: How do I know which PSU is suitable for the build I'm making, and how do I know what wattage I need?

the cheapest PSU I'm seeing is a 700w one, which seems odd to me because I would have presumed that would be for higher usage pc's!

A good rough rule of thumb is that you should be looking to spend about 1/10th the wattage in Euro (€50 for 500W, €70 for 700W, and so on).

Generally speaking, a 450-500W unit will power any single GPU system. Depending on what GPU you're using, you'll want to add another 150-250W to that for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-025-HO

What's up with that? Dirt cheap for a 1440p..

30-85hz what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Seaaan wrote: »
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-025-HO

What's up with that? Dirt cheap for a 1440p..

30-85hz what?

Wow that's cheap. It's IPS too.

Lads, a very quicky off topic:

I got a TV in a room, but no way to connect to aerial on the roof. With all the switch to digital, can you get some sort of in doors yoke now? I asked before in one of the shops and I was told that simple in door yokes dont work anymore, you need The proper roof one. Which sounds a bit like bull****. I sow a few of those boosters in Tesco. Would they work on its own?

Would this thing work? I sow it in tesco:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/set-top-boxes-and-aerials/aerials/one-4-all-amplified-digital-saorview-aerial-36db.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends how close you are to a transmitter, but the indoor ones do work usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

yea I use a cheapy lidl aerial booster thingy inside all the time (well when the flaky rte streaming service flakes out mid penalty shootout :mad:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Lads, a very quicky off topic:

I got a TV in a room, but no way to connect to aerial on the roof. With all the switch to digital, can you get some sort of in doors yoke now? I asked before in one of the shops and I was told that simple in door yokes dont work anymore, you need The proper roof one. Which sounds a bit like bull****. I sow a few of those boosters in Tesco. Would they work on its own?

Would this thing work? I sow it in tesco:

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/set-top-boxes-and-aerials/aerials/one-4-all-amplified-digital-saorview-aerial-36db.html

I was able to use a crappy bunny ears to get the digital channels.
    Also, Chromecast. The future of TV.

Ah lol, sorry lads I did not responded last night.

I grabed old cable, attached tinfoil to it and then get tinfoil to touch with some old metal yoke misses had as decoration. Watching Argentina vs Netherlands like a boss.

DSC_0261_zpsafsydgc1.jpg

success.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement