Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've had a look around too. Unfortunately, it looks like the kind of thing you're going to have to venture... outside *shudder* for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

The light buuuuuuurns!! :P

Thanks for helping, I may have a venture out, or I might try the flammable stuff. Better the motherboard go up in flames than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Hey, just looking to get a can of compressed air to clean out a few PC's.
    On amazon I see one that is listed as flammable :O I assume that's not air in there.

Does anyone here have a link to an online retailer that's not going to blow anything up?
    I checked dabs, komplett and I could only find a can on scan but that comes to £10. Is that the price they normally are?

Links:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MQ7DZC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p229_d0_g229_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1R2D8ZMMBQD1DQK3C5HT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/falcon-gaming-gear-dust-off-compressed-air-duster-300ml

The amazon looks like the one I get but the only difference is that flammable logo in the red star. I dont have that on mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Hey, just looking to get a can of compressed air to clean out a few PC's.
    On amazon I see one that is listed as flammable :O I assume that's not air in there.

Does anyone here have a link to an online retailer that's not going to blow anything up?
    I checked dabs, komplett and I could only find a can on scan but that comes to £10. Is that the price they normally are?

Links:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MQ7DZC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p229_d0_g229_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1R2D8ZMMBQD1DQK3C5HT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/falcon-gaming-gear-dust-off-compressed-air-duster-300ml

I picked this stuff up last week. Eur26 delivered for 4 cans. Actually posted about this here a few pages back. Realised the mistake I was making was google'n compressed air can instead of "air duster". Easy mistake. This stuff is flammable too but been using it the weekend and both myself and a couple of old Dells are still here.
    Also from what I see if your lucky, and you go to the right store you will find them in Tesco. Stock comes and goes it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

is this hard drive any good as an everyday use hard drive?

Someone is selling the RE2-GP Model on on Adverts for 80euro but most the reviews on Newegg.com are very poor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

is this hard drive any good as an everyday use hard drive?

Someone is selling the RE2-GP Model on on Adverts for 80euro but most the reviews on Newegg.com are very poor.

Its an old enough green drive, so not great if you want it as your boot disk. It would be fine for storage though. Probably not worth €80 seeing as its second hand and probably a few years old.

EDIT: I just looked at the ad, he's lying about it being 7200rpm. Western Digital never officially announced the speed, but xbitlabs tested one and found it to be a 5400rpm drive. Its a green drive anyway so thats what you would expect.

EDIT2: This is probably a better buy. I don't know the exact model, but if there's still 3 years warranty on them they're gonna be pretty new.

deconduo wrote: »
    EDIT2: This is probably a better buy. I don't know the exact model, but if there's still 3 years warranty on them they're gonna be pretty new.

Thanks, never saw that ad.
    Its not a boot drive though, I have an SSD for that but thats not big enough to hold games and other stuff so I need to buy a HDD.

Thanks, never saw that ad.
    Its not a boot drive though, I have an SSD for that but thats not big enough to hold games and other stuff so I need to buy a HDD.

Yeah I wouldn't run games off it. Videos/music would be fine.

Yeah I wouldn't run games off it. Videos/music would be fine.

That guy accepted my offer of 90euro inc. postage so I'll go ahead and get that hard drive.

Take a look at this beast of a gaming rig:

http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/gaming-pc-new-4gb-hd6990-xigmatek-pantheon-rig/1248996

Featuring:
    -AMD HD 6990
    -ASRock P67 Extreme6
    -Antec 1200W PSU
    -Windows 7 Enterprise
    -No RAM
    -Pentium G620

-World class cable management.

Still, probably a good deal for €800. The GPU + PSU alone would make up that. Swap out the G620 for a 2500k and you've got a flying rig for €1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Take a look at this beast of a gaming rig:

http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/gaming-pc-new-4gb-hd6990-xigmatek-pantheon-rig/1248996

Featuring:
    -AMD HD 6990
    -ASRock P67 Extreme6
    -Antec 1200W PSU
    -Windows 7 Enterprise
    -No RAM
    -Pentium G620

-World class cable management.

Still, probably a good deal for €800. The GPU + PSU alone would make up that. Swap out the G620 for a 2500k and you've got a flying rig for €1000.

*shudders*

Makes me want to get off my ass, buy the extension leads and tidy up the cables in my machine. Almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nesf wrote: »
    *shudders*

Makes me want to get off my ass, buy the extension leads and tidy up the cables in my machine. Almost.

Almost here too :D

I have to admit, my case is not the most tidiest thing. I did cable managment on all hdds, fans, CPU, etc, but I just left all spare psu cables inside case. They are really thick and there are tons of them and it will be very hard to hide them all in cable in cable managment area :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've put in a bid for it. I've to build a PC at the end of the month as you probably know, and i gain allot more for the same money on that build, particularly if the software is legit, hopefully I can sell on the excess stuff and plough back a bit of cash.

ill have the most overpowered PSU of all time, but theyre not worth selling on. my server is also gonna be mucho overkill in every department except for its CPU, though benchmarks place it above quad core athlons.

we'll see if the deal goes through. ill update ye lot on the cable management.

as a side, can anyone link me to where the Xigmatek Pantheon is for sale?

I dunno, I sold my 1200W Thermaltake unit the other day for €150 (was about €235 three years ago). You'd get around €180 for it, I'd think. Pop in a good €80 600W unit and you've got €100 in your pocket.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I dunno, I sold my 1200W Thermaltake unit the other day for €150 (was about €235 three years ago). You'd get around €180 for it, I'd think. Pop in a good €80 600W unit and you've got €100 in your pocket.

interesting. I was judging it by the fact your man had one up on adverts for 4 days @ €150 and no takes. I thought it would have sold fast enough at that price.

also, I'd be moving over to trifire eventually (6990 + 6970) and your at the limits of my 850W psu there. rather over spec now and be sorted for my next gen upgrade than push my PSU @ 100% while gaming. ah decisions.

if the deal goes through, my server will be

asrock p67 (God I wish it was z68) extreme6
    Pentium :shudder: g620
    HD6450 (I've blown my budget)
    4.7Tb of HDDs
    4gb RAM
    a storm scout or xigmatech pantheon case (depending on which I can shift)
    and.... even worse than my gaming overkill, the psu, either an XFX core pro 850W or preferably my (and I suspect your choice too) M600 silent pro. ill advertise both and keep the extra. any estimate on prices I can get for them?

Almost here too :D

I have to admit, my case is not the most tidiest thing. I did cable managment on all hdds, fans, CPU, etc, but I just left all spare psu cables inside case. They are really thick and there are tons of them and it will be very hard to hide them all in cable in cable managment area :(

I've no cable management at the moment, I got so sick of swapping out motherboards, cards and whatnot when the system was giving trouble that I didn't have the heart to tidy it up the last time around thinking I'd have to take it apart all over again.

I probably should get around to it given that this system has been completely stable for 3 weeks hard use.

My case is the same. Trying to round cables for six fans, five hard drives, and a pump leads to a fairly messy interior.

Having said that, my motherboard is still giving me problems* - I hope it's my motherboard - so at some point I'm going rip the case apart and repaste the heatsinks. Hopefully that'll help with heat issues.

* I think it is. I'd say it's my GPU, except all the temperatures are well within check, and for the moment it's even at stock clocks, and games are still artifacting slightly and crashing (after about an hour or less) on me.

@Tea Bag, that looks like one hell of a server! Mine was/will be a G530 based thing, maybe a 35W 21xx or whatever that one is. 16GB RAM, and probably about 8-10TB of hard drives.

Edit: 2120T. 35W 2.6GHz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Headshot wrote: »

1500 sterling...I`ll have 2 lol.

• Advertisement

Inside the X51 can be either an Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 processor. That can be complimented by either a 16GB Nvidia GeForce GT 545 or an Nvidia GeForce GTX 555.
    the core thing for Alienware is we're not willing to trade on performance.

hahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Been streaming some TF2 6v6 matches http://www.twitch.tv/atmo_/videos (very low skill level)

I never even played Team Fortress 2 :o

A 16GB video card?! I hope that's a typo...

A 16GB video card?! I hope that's a typo...

if its allienware then its not!Serious-Business.jpg

@Tea Bag, that looks like one hell of a server! Mine was/will be a G530 based thing, maybe a 35W 21xx or whatever that one is. 16GB RAM, and probably about 8-10TB of hard drives.

Edit: 2120T. 35W 2.6GHz.

good lord what are you gonna do with 16Gb in a server?

I'd love to have 10Tb of HDDs too but theyre so expensive I'm just gonna have to wait out the drought. deleting stuff till then... I'd love SSD in there too.

• Advertisement

A few Minecraft servers, backups, streaming, a bit of web hosting, and the occasional virtual machine. Hey, RAM is so cheap now, why the hell not? :P

Yeah, I'm running out of space on mine fast. Down to 27GB free on my 2TB drives. I'll be picking up new hard drives before server parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Headshot wrote: »
    I never even played Team Fortress 2 :o

Give it a shot, it's free!

Here's a good example of a casted match http://www.own3d.tv/vanillatv#/watch/395507

Yeah, I'm running out of space on mine fast. Down to 27GB free on my 2TB drives. I'll be picking up new hard drives before server parts.

Yeah keeping backups of all those linux distros is a pain. (very old joke from around here)

Yeah keeping backups of all those linux distros is a pain. (very old joke from around here)

Linux distros... yup, that's it exactly. :P

In all seriousness, a lot of what I have to back up IS images of stuff. My ingrained hatred of optical media has meant I've made images of all my non-steam games.

The sooner MS makes an OS that can natively be installed from a USB stick or a networked computer or something, the better.

The sooner MS makes an OS that can natively be installed from a USB stick or a networked computer or something, the better.

windows 7 can do both of those :D

and jokes aside, I actually have loads of Ubuntu and Linux distros. I went through a phase where I installed mint and others on everything. works wonders on old laptops.

• Advertisement

You can't just say that and not tell the joke!!

You can't just say that and not tell the joke!!

Many, many years ago when we were all on dial up there was a service called IOL No Limits that charged a flat rate regardless of how much you used the service. This was obviously great for many of us. Then after a good long while IOL unilaterally changed the service and introduced the infamous "Acceptable Usage Limit" and certain people started getting letters complaining about their downloading. So, since certain things, ahem, can't be discussed on here we started getting long threads from people complaining about how they couldn't download all the linux distros (on dialup these were *big* downloads) they needed because of these new download limits and it became a running joke and a code phrase for a year or two.

So for a good while if anyone came on here to complain about download limits they were greeted with a chorus of people sympathising about the size of linux distros these days and so on.

Many, many years ago when we were all on dial up there was a service called IOL No Limits that charged a flat rate regardless of how much you used the service. This was obviously great for many of us. Then after a good long while IOL unilaterally changed the service and introduced the infamous "Acceptable Usage Limit" and certain people started getting letters complaining about their downloading. So, since certain things, ahem, can't be discussed on here we started getting long threads from people complaining about how they couldn't download all the linux distros (on dialup these were *big* downloads) they needed because of these new download limits and it became a running joke and a code phrase for a year or two.

So for a good while if anyone came on here to complain about download limits they were greeted with a chorus of people sympathising about the size of linux distros these days and so on.
    ha, now that's a good one :)
    Well I had a little laugh at it anyway, thanks for sharing.

Finally got BF3... only to find out that it requires 20GB Hard Drive space... :/
    I ordered a 1TB HDD today anyway, and it should be here Monday so until then I've resorted to backing up all my steam games onto discs so I won't have to download them again :P

Question:
    Do all my Steam games have to be on the same Hard Disk? Would I be able to have smaller games such as Skyrim that requires a lot of loading on the SSD and then the other games on the normal hard disk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Question:
    Do all my Steam games have to be on the same Hard Disk? Would I be able to have smaller games such as Skyrim that requires a lot of loading on the SSD and then the other games on the normal hard disk?
    Yes, but you'll need to use junction points (I don't remember the name of a program to assist you with this, but I'm sure someone else can help (p.s. It's not called Steam Mover or anything along those lines, that is a different program))

No and Yes!
    Steam requires all your games to be in the places that it installs the game or it won't be able to detect them.

But ... Steam mover is your friend.
    http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

It sets up a function point (I think that's what it's called) which is basically a link to another place. So it moves the actual files to where ever you tell it to and then it just makes the original folder a link to the new one. It only works with folders and not individual files so games like Half Life 2 aren't moveable since most of their files are in the SteamApps folder but works really well with most other games.

The app will also work with any folder at all, so ever though Battlefield 3 isn't a steam game if you just browse to the BF3 folder using the Steam Mover app you can relocate it's folder too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

No and Yes!
    Steam requires all your games to be in the places that it installs the game or it won't be able to detect them.

But ... Steam mover is your friend.
    http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

It sets up a function point (I think that's what it's called) which is basically a link to another place. So it moves the actual files to where ever you tell it to and then it just makes the original folder a link to the new one. It only works with folders and not individual files so games like Half Life 2 aren't moveable since most of their files are in the SteamApps folder but works really well with most other games.

The app will also work with any folder at all, so ever though Battlefield 3 isn't a steam game if you just browse to the BF3 folder using the Steam Mover app you can relocate it's folder too :)
    It seems I must have mistaken Steam Mover for a different program

It seems I must have mistaken Steam Mover for a different program
    Yeah it's just a wrapper for running the function point commands.
    There is even a setting on it that won't run the commands it just lists the commands so you can run them yourself.
    I wouldn't recommend doing it that way though, coz it takes ages if your doing a few games or if it's a big one like BF3 and who wants to sit around staring at writing flying by waiting to paste in the next command :)

There is another one that's for general junction points. MoveDir or something, I can't remember it, but I've used it.

Thanks for the help guys :)
    I'll do that first thing when it arrives.

Also, its not that hard to install a hard drive is it? I've never done it before but I assume its just connect the SATA cables and place it in the track.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help guys :)
    I'll do that first thing when it arrives.

Also, its not that hard to install a hard drive is it? I've never done it before but I assume its just connect the SATA cables and place it in the track.

Yep, you'll also need to format it as well before it will show up as a drive. Loads of people panic when they turn on a computer and don't see a D:\ drive next to their C:\ drive.

To format it go to Control Panel -> System -> Create and format hard drive partitions.

I'm very amazed right now, ordered my hard drive from a guy on adverts at around 7PM last night, sent the money then, and today at 1PM it arrived.
    From Dublin to Mayo.
    I wasn't expecting it until Monday or Tuesday.

For fear of punishment I won't post this in the actual bargain alerts thread
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/best-value-ezcool-500w-psu-24-pin-sata-793M.html?refs=55420000&src=3

For fear of punishment I won't post this in the actual bargain alerts thread
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/best-value-ezcool-500w-psu-24-pin-sata-793M.html?refs=55420000&src=3

I've got a load of mishmash parts that I want to use as a dev box, just missing a case + PSU. I wonder would that be enough to handle a single 65W Phenom II with no GPU :pac:

Voltage Load +3.3V 28A; +5V 30A; +12V 34A; -5V 0.3A; -12V 0.8A; +5Vsb 3.0A
    According to the specs it has 408 watts on the +12 rail.
    It's probably only got 20% efficiency or something though :p

I wouldn't even trust my alarm clock with it :D

Okay I have another hard drive related question.

I got my new hard drive installed, everything works fine.
    But now I want to set that as my default drive (as in everything will save onto that from now on) and leave the SSD just for my OS and a few programs I use very often.

How would I go about doing this? And how would I move all my current stuff from the SSD to the new hard drive?

Sorry for all these questions, I'm very good at computer software, but when it comes to hardware this would be my first build so I don't know much.
    Installing the hard drive was very... stressful :P I kept hitting other parts and was getting worried everytime I did so. Everything still works though :D

The easiest way I think to do this is just put the "My xxxx" folders on the HDD and leave the OS and all the programs you install on the SSD.

To do this it's very simple,
    Right click which ever folder it is you want to move, lets say "My Music"
    Click the "Location" tab
    Now browse to a place on your HDD and select it.
    Click apply and wait for Windows to copy all the contents of the folder to the HDD
    Now just repeat for the other folders.

Depending on the size of the SSD you might want to install some of your larger less used programs to the HDD. You can use a function point to move an entire folder (e.g. a large game folder) from the SSD to the HDD and there is programs out there to help with that. Or if you want to change the default installation folder it's just a matter of changing a registry key.

I would use Steam Mover to make Junction Points, just because I've used it before and know how to use it and it's very simple.
    http://www.intowindows.com/change-default-installation-directory-in-windows-7-vista/

just for ****s and gigles i went to check out some gpus.

i was shocked when i sow 5970 figures...

now i jumped from 8800gt to 6870 and then to gtx 570. as you see i skipped a few generations. i was not following technology mutch then.

i just wonder how come 6 series are so much worse then 6 series... were they cheaper when they came out?

http://www.hwcompare.com/9544/radeon-hd-5970-vs-radeon-hd-6990/

i dont know how accurate this is, but 5970 looks like a way better deal! less power used, more performance... a beast of gpu!

i just wonder will 7850/7870 be faster and better then 6 series? i bet alot of people were pissed of back then to see 6 series being so much weaker.

now like i said i was not that much in to tech side of PCs, so i might not know the whole deal when they came out. anyone want to share experiences?

• Advertisement

just for ****s and gigles i went to check out some gpus.

i was shocked when i sow 5970 figures...

now i jumped from 8800gt to 6870 and then to gtx 570. as you see i skipped a few generations. i was not following technology mutch then.

i just wonder how come 6 series are so much worse then 6 series... were they cheaper when they came out?

http://www.hwcompare.com/9544/radeon-hd-5970-vs-radeon-hd-6990/

i dont know how accurate this is, but 5970 looks like a way better deal! less power used, more performance... a beast of gpu!

i just wonder will 7850/7870 be faster and better then 6 series? i bet alot of people were pissed of back then to see 6 series being so much weaker.

now like i said i was not that much in to tech side of PCs, so i might not know the whole deal when they came out. anyone want to share experiences?

No real world usage benchmarks there so not that useful a comparison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement