Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

29ers for taller riders

• 27-10-2010 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Have seen quite a bit written about 29er MTBs recently and most articles state that they are really suited to taller guys. I'm 6ft 6 and using a 21.5" regular hardtail but feel a bit unstable when going downhill on the trail.

Can anyone recommend them and where are they sold??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The Cycle Inn have a demo Giant XTC 29er you could try out.

Larger wheels won't make you feel more stable going downhill though. A bit of this might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

I'm 5'10" and having been a full susser XC enthusiast for a year, I've got my first 29er a month ago and the things just rock. I got a Kona Big unit from winstanleysbikes.co.uk half price at 800stg lot of cash but it makes me smile, 10kgs for the 18 inch. It's a single speed but has cable routing, to be honest the 32/18 setup I can pretty much climb everything I can with a 32 /11-34 8speed 26er. As regards going down hill I find it much more nimble and much faster as well as that you can fire it into and out of corners. I'm not going back. I've got an alfine equipped wheelset in the post (ebay)so I'll have gears to get me to the woods but you don't need gears if you're going by car. You could also add gears by getting a different sliding dropout and a spare rear wheel with a geared hub.
    If it doesn't work out for you well it's half price and if you brake it up you should get your money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭ciarsciars

Unfortunately Giant don't do an XL 29er, which you would probably need at 6' 6"
    http://cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=39318

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

I've seen some good reviews of Gary Fisher 29ers, anybody know where they're sold??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

you could look for a 1980/90's reynolds '531 super tourist' frame, 62cm

I have one built by MB Dronfield and have clearance for 40c tyres. they are very light and strong and the tubset has different taper fork blades,chainstays etc to normal 531, they are aero/oval shaped for extra tyre clearance. its b

• Advertisement

you could look for a 1980/90's reynolds '531 super tourist' frame, 62cm

I have one built by MB Dronfield and have clearance for 40c tyres. they are very light and strong and the tubset has different taper fork blades,chainstays etc to normal 531, they are aero/oval shaped for extra tyre clearance. its b

Well, that would be novel. :)

new2biking wrote: »
    I've seen some good reviews of Gary Fisher 29ers, anybody know where they're sold??

GF has now been subsumed into the Trek mega-brand. Anywhere that sells Treks should be able to get them. You're unlikely to find one in stock in Ireland though.

That Kona Big Unit is cracking value though - I'm nearly tempted.

Advertisement