Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server Room Cooling

Options
  • 27-10-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a standalone Server room cooling systems, or even a decent company who sells them?

We currently have two air con units in the Server room to provide for some redundancy, however both operate off of 1 condenser in the basement.

Since we installed a couple of SAN's and some SUN Servers the room has been heating up 28 degrees, which is too high. I was thinking of either installing two more air con units plus a condenser in the basement or getting a standalone cooling system such as those offered by APC (APC RP High Density Cooling System).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Most heating/cooling companies offer server room solutions these days. Have a look around your local area and ring a few and see what they have to offer.

Here is one in Dublin that did a bit of work for a customer of mine.

http://www.reliantengineering.ie/Hitech_and_Comms_Room_Server_Ro.html

There is another one that I can't think of the name out near City West that also does good work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I'll pm you details of some guys we deal with and who installed and maintain the air con in our comms room and find them very good.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks Guys, I tried to go though APC Sales but the service was terrible.. kinda strange considering they are quite a large company.

Again, cheers for the links + info

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Boskonay

28 is fine for a server room tbh.... kit will be perfectly happy at that temperature (if a little cozy for humans...). It's temperature fluctuations that hurt drives, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

If you had a duct route to outside you could use an energy efficiet design where outside air is sucked in, filtered and sucked back out again dumping heat in the process. An example would be: http://ie.sanyo.com/aircon/Products/Electric-VRF/VRF-Indoor-Unit-Range/GU-Type-Total-Heat-Exchanger/
    Such a solution would readily lend itself to higher cab power densities if you contained the exhaust... Might be something to consider in future

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Toshiba have a new product that uses the heat from the servers to provide cooling.

But the key is airflow, if you can pull air in from the outside then it's rare for the temperature outside to get anywhere near what servers are designed to operate in.

If you can try to work out how much electricity the air con units are using, this will give you a budget to work with

in winter it's worth looking at way of taking the surplus heat from the servers and feeding it to the office air con

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Check out APC RD and RC units - good supplier is Hanley Automation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jaybee1

Or if you're on the south side of Dublin you could look up <Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Jaybee1 wrote: »
    Or if you're on the south side of Dublin you could look up

Why go to an IT company for a aircon/heating issue - the IT company will just go to them and add their bit on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JackKe

hi, we got a server room cooling system from <Snip> as well. They are an authorised partner of the vendor, not just a PC reseller. They really do know what they are talking about. I think the correct link to use is <Snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Boskonay

Unless you need acres of local storage which is accessed heavily, or a huge local user base or poor internet connectivity, you will -always- save by outsourcing server rooms.

Advertisement