Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Farmleigh Fellowship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UnoMomento

Yeah, I remember Donagh saying that but it's only now that i'm fully understanding that money will be leaving my account but nothing coming back in! It really does seem like an expensive career choice, but maybe i'm being too short term-ist.

Genuinely have no info about the position, the company (I won't name) will be giving me more information over the next day or two. I'll try update as I find out.

The interview was very straightforward, so if all companies take this approach then I would say there's nothing to be afraid of if you get a call - very little of that competency stuff from the first interview; to be honest it felt like a chat, trying to suss out who I really was behind the competency-based skills type questions that can be bluffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mike Tyson

Similar to rivers it is hard to say. The actual worth of the Masters itself is subjective but I think the contacts/inroads to Asian business etc you would make over the course of the program are worth a lot, to me at least.

The website suggests the whole thing to cost €10,000 to students over the year, and costs €20,000 to them in tuition expenses etc. €15,000 of this is straight up paid by the sponsoring company and the remainder from the Govt.

Something that isn't mentioned anywhere and a thing I asked Donagh about was the placement; As Rivers said some can be done from Singapore, but any travel/expenses you incur as part of a placement are all covered by your sponsoring company (2 2 month periods according to the program outline).

Again as Rivers said, it's the inaugural run of the program so everything will be fine tuned from here, and seems they are freestyling to a certain extent. I asked about the specifics of the relationship between the companies and the students in my interview I and it turns out its very technical (the legal side) and he was saying they hadn't a lot of time to get everything they wanted for the program together. But again that'll all be tweaked as the program goes on.

I got a call yesterday for an interview next week so anyone that hasn't heard theres no need to get worried yet. Wasn't given any indication what to expect but seems it isn't too formal and is just to check the person behind the details they've been given

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chip Ralston

I remember Donagh was saying that although the companies have no obligation to you once the programme is finished, if your business plan is ok and considering they have sponsored you in the first place, they would likely want to hire you afterwards. Obviously if you make a pigs mickey of the plan than this won't be the case.

Is 10,000 a realistic figure I wonder; especially if you want to live a little too!? It's all very tempting but a lot of questions to ask and to ask myself before committing to something so big.

I'd have to presume as well that barring a complete disaster the company would be looking to hire their people this time next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Hey guys I still haven't heard anything back even though I got the email saying I got through to the final stage. With everything moving so fast for others should I be worried? Am thinking of giving the people at Farmleigh a call although I'm not sure what they'll do....anyone else in the same boat as me?

• Advertisement

Yeah I recieved that email and am still waiting for a call. Its quite annoying that there hasn't been a follow up from the company but the email did say its up to them to get in touch with you directly. Suppose ringing the FF isn't much use. If there has been no communication by wednesday i am getting onto them, mind.

Hey just thought would let you know that I got in contact with Farmeligh today and they said that some of the companies were just slow in getting back to people and that they imagine everyone should be contacted by the end of the week. Thats the good news.

The BAD news is that when I asked if there was a chance someone who got the email wouldn't be called for interview he said that while they encourage the companies to interview everyone, the final decision about interviewing a candidate is up to the company. So there is possibly a chance that even if you got the email you may not get an interview....which would be REALLY bad on their behalf I think.

Serious lack of activity in this topic. Has anyone else heard back from their company/had an interview yet? Chip have you been contacted? I STILL haven't heard anything and am raging at the minute, am going to have to call Farmleigh AGAIN tomorrow and find out what the hell is going on.

Interviewed this afternoon with a company that contacted me Friday. Nothing strenuous, more of a meeting to explain the brief of the project and to get a feel for me / the match of the candidate with the company. Was told there are 3 being interviewed for the position so nothing guaranteed, but it went well.

Didn't gather much more information about the program in general so can't help much more; it's certainly frustrating not hearing back. They told me today they spent a lot of time getting the brief/proposal etc solid so that both the candidate and company would benefit from it, so could be that companies are just taking their time getting the brief ready so they know what they're interviewing for.

Calling Farmleigh could give some clues as to then the whole selection process is supposed to be wrapped up by, so you'd know when the latest you'd expect to hear from companies is.

They said today they'd be in touch either tomorrow or early next week so fingers crossed! Fingers crossed companies get onto others too, dragging out a lot now.

Yeah it sucks that they leave you in the lurch for quite a while. You have to hope the company is just slow and not that the positions are tied up and we're the last to know. Keep the faith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭scarface22

I've been accepted for a place but the banks are not really playing ball in terms of lending. Don't know how I'm going to be able to finance myself if I can't get a loan :confused:

scarface22 wrote: »
    I've been accepted for a place but the banks are not really playing ball in terms of lending. Don't know how I'm going to be able to finance myself if I can't get a loan :confused:
    Haven't been accepted for a place yet but that's the main apprehension I'd have too. No income for 12 months is a tricky one; a kickback of any sort would make it easier to justify but straight outflow..not so easy!

Mike Tyson wrote: »
    Haven't been accepted for a place yet but that's the main apprehension I'd have too. No income for 12 months is a tricky one; a kickback of any sort would make it easier to justify but straight outflow..not so easy!

Yeah and its no trivial amount to borrow either. You're talking €10-12k :eek:

So Chip did you hear anything from anyone today?Decided I'd leave it till Monday, because now I can call them on the fact that they said they'd get back to me and never did. Hopefully something will happen early next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rivers

UnoMomento wrote: »
    Hey everyone, first time on boards.ie but have been looking for info on this fellowship - had an interview yesterday with one of the Farmleigh companies and have been offered a place on the programme - my question is; does anyone have any information about how much the year will cost me as a candidate and also does anyone have an opinion about the programme in general...good, bad, indifferent, waste of time, worthwhile!?

I have until Tuesday to make a decision I think so any contribution you could make would be great!

Did the above poster make a decision?

I've been offered a place with a sponsoring company, but recently like im sure alot of people, my financial plans have pretty much fallen through. I've been saving but there's no way ill have enough for the duration of the programme in Asia. Also, i have no clue as to what format the UCC-period of the Masters will be. Waiting on a response from the FF now...

rivers wrote: »
    Did the above poster make a decision?

I've been offered a place with a sponsoring company, but recently like im sure alot of people, my financial plans have pretty much fallen through. I've been saving but there's no way ill have enough for the duration of the programme in Asia. Also, i have no clue as to what format the UCC-period of the Masters will be. Waiting on a response from the FF now...

The year is expected to cost €10,000 not including booze/cigarettes

Any idea on format of the UCC part of the Masters? as in 10 hours per week class time, group-work commitments etc?

I've gone ahead and accepted:) A lot of thinking done and serious budgeting/loaning done but have decided to go for it anyway!

Any idea what the actual format of the Masters in UCC is? hours per week etc?

Just got a call saying I lost out on a position to the other candidate who had experience living and working in Asia. In my opinion it goes against the original premise of the Fellowship (of getting new graduates over there, "critical mass"?) but that's the way things go!

No idea if my CV was passed on just to that company, has anyone been contacted by more than 1?

• Advertisement

Got the green light from the bank to fund the trip so I'm on board :-)

Any one know anything about getting a grant for this programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MagicFred

Is anyone else left to be interviewed or has anyone been notified that they may be interviewed by another company? I have been told that my details have been sent on and its up to that company to get in touch with me. So potentially could be called but may not be

MagicFred wrote: »
    Is anyone else left to be interviewed or has anyone been notified that they may be interviewed by another company? I have been told that my details have been sent on and its up to that company to get in touch with me. So potentially could be called but may not be
    I got in contact with the FF people through the contact form on their website. They got back to me to say that they had passed my CV along with 2 others to one of the participating companies as they felt I was an excellent fit for their programme, but unfortunately the company had gotten back to them the day before to say that they wouldn't be continuing any further with my application (which was very upsetting as the company they assigned me to would have been my first choice anyways!). They did say that they felt I was a strong candidate and so they'd be passing me onto at least one other company for consideration but I haven't heard anything at this stage.

I also asked when was the absolute latest that everything would need to be wrapped up on their end (so that I would know when all the interviews had to be done by) and they told me mid-December, so we won't have too much longer to wait now anyways at least I suppose.

I got in contact with the FF people through the contact form on their website. They got back to me to say that they had passed my CV along with 2 others to one of the participating companies as they felt I was an excellent fit for their programme, but unfortunately the company had gotten back to them the day before to say that they wouldn't be continuing any further with my application (which was very upsetting as the company they assigned me to would have been my first choice anyways!). They did say that they felt I was a strong candidate and so they'd be passing me onto at least one other company for consideration but I haven't heard anything at this stage.

I also asked when was the absolute latest that everything would need to be wrapped up on their end (so that I would know when all the interviews had to be done by) and they told me mid-December, so we won't have too much longer to wait now anyways at least I suppose.
    Yeah I heard similar.

Got a call and interviewed with 1 company but didn't get the place. Got the email saying I was a strong candidate for the programme and will be passing my details to at least one more company.

Replied asking the same (deadline it was all to be agreed by) but never heard back so cheers for clarifying

I got in contact with the coordinator of the Masters in UCC. It seems it'll be quite intensive, monday to friday, with tutorials and alot of self-study etc.
    I got offered a place but had to turn it down due to among other concerns, financing. Best of luck to those who are going ahead with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MMeister

Mike Tyson wrote: »
    Yeah I heard similar.

Got a call and interviewed with 1 company but didn't get the place. Got the email saying I was a strong candidate for the programme and will be passing my details to at least one more company.

Replied asking the same (deadline it was all to be agreed by) but never heard back so cheers for clarifying

I'm in the same boat as you Mike. My interview last monday with a sponsoring co didnt go very well and was quickly informed they wouldnt be progressing further but that I was a strong candidate enought that theyd try to find me another sponsor firm.

I was actually told though that a specific (American) company was interested in contacting me. Havent heard from them sadly yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 COYS!

rivers wrote: »
    I got in contact with the coordinator of the Masters in UCC. It seems it'll be quite intensive, monday to friday, with tutorials and alot of self-study etc.

Which lecturer did you get in contact with? I tried contacting UCC, but haven't hear anything back yet! Donagh was saying that details were currently being finalized with them and would be sent out by early next week.

Is everyone else as excited about the programme as me? The programme is going to be whatever we make of it! Bring it on I say:D

i can't remember his name, rothsfeld or rothschild or something like that. He's the head of Asian studies department so just ring UCC and ask for whoever that is. He was very open and friendly, i'm sure he'll answer any questions you have...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 COYS!

Cool! Thanks for the tip rivers. I will give him a buzz tomorrow. Pity you decided to opt. out of the programme and I hope you find something else worthwhile mate.

Advertisement