Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Farmleigh Fellowship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 igmuel

Hi, Im looking into this program for 2012, can anyone let me know the real details, cost/worth of the course.

If it's any craic, I'm property based, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

What a 'scholarship'?!

So after checking out this Farmleigh Fellowship, I'm really amazed anyone would bother.

To summarize, after getting through a tough application process, you study some half-assed Asian Business modules in UCC,then you're sent on an intern over to Asia, where first you'll have to find and pay for your own accommodation for 3 months in Singapore(with some of the highest rents in the World) and day to day living expenses, then you have to make a Development Business Proposal for whatever company is 'sponsoring' you in another expensive major Asian city, where once again you'll be expected to pay for your own rent and living expenses. In the end, the company, for who you have just put blood sweat and tears into making a potentially multimillion euro business proposal for absolutely free, are not under any obligation whatsoever to give you a real job. Oh, and you get a masters in Asian Business from UCC:eek:

Yeah sure, tuition is covered, but so the grant would cover you anyway, so I really don't see how it can be termed a fellowship at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Serpico11

Was looking at applying for this programme myself, but very difficult to see how I could finance myself for the period abroad. It does seem like good experience, but you could end up with very little at the end of the year, bar a big fat loan from the bank to pay back.

Any feedback from people who did the programme last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mimms87

I'm on the course. I've been offered a job from my company as has nearly everyone else. Great experience. If you're a pussy, don't do it but if you want to work in Asia and are good at what you do or what you'll potentially do, do it.

<racist language snipped>

how much alone did u spend on room and board, not to mention flights? Do they even cover ur flights? I see u say "nearly everyone else", what like half the people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MMeister

<racist language snipped>

how much alone did u spend on room and board, not to mention flights? Do they even cover ur flights? I see u say "nearly everyone else", what like half the people?

Return flights are paid for to Singapore. If you want to go on holidays thats obviously not paid for.

I'm also on the course and can tell you even if you don't get a job with your sponsor you'll be out there in Asia with a visa for a 6 months which gives you plenty of time to look for work and interview with companies.

This is a tough world we live in nowadays, but obviously 'spent 1 year in Asia doing business development for X' looks better than 'being a cynical bastard at home' (which I can be tempting, I know) on the CV.

Some companies do pay for certain expenses.

I'd look at perhaps budgeting 15k for the entire thing - including rainy days (metaphor) which do happen when you're abroad. If nothing else I'd do it for the experience and have no regrets really. It does test you in ways you never really thought it would...

Full disclosure: I had a job tied up even before I set foot in Singapore so did it completely for the experience.

pity i'm married otherwise i'd be applying even though i complain it's a bit of a cod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 villaman2.0

I'm also on the course and would recommend it to anybody considering doing it as would anybody else in the class I believe.

While the costs have been more than expected (10k was the estimate last year) it is money well spent and i would agree that the 15k estimate is more realistic. I guess the key thing is that I would say there is no one in the class that would not do it all over again.

I say that because it is probable that everyone will not only have a job come January but will have attained a very good one at that. So the generic phrase of fast tracking your career comes to mind but it really does apply in this case.

We have great access to high level Irish and expat business people which we would not have had otherwise. Also NTU is ranked the number 3 business school in asia and in the top 35 in the world and is an extremely hard school to get into so it is really respected here that you have attended that school on a scholarship. The costs of going to NTU business school runs into the tens of thousands for fees alone so when you look at our costs then you see the value for money for the 15k. NTu have been very impressed with the class also which is obviously a bonus.

All in all the experience has been great but the most important thing at the end of the day is whether it was worth the risk from a career point of view and Id have to say that so far it looks like the benefits are far going to out weigh the costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 james2006

I completely agree with "DaithiMcGroin".I have fulfilled every single piece of criteria needed for this so called scholarship, i.e 2:1 in college (which, by the way, I worked my ass off for), except I was left hugely disappointed when I discovered that I would need to fund my own flights / living expenses while over in Asia. While I would not expect the programme to fund my entire living expenses, as people have said, Asia can be quite expensive to live in - with rent being one of highest in the world.

So while this programme makes sense in theory, in reality , most current and recent graduates do not have a spare 15,000 euro to fund a year long programme while living in Asia. Do the organisers of this programme not relaise that we are in a recession. Most of us recent graduates cannot even find UNPAID work, let alone afford to move to Asia!

Typical Irish idea - looks good on paper, but in reality, it just doesn't work.

not to mention proper medical insurance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 villaman2.0

The fellowship covers return flights, medical insurance and visa costs.

The costs are undeniably an issue but if considered over the longer term returns and opportunities it is a very good career investment. I had to make the same decsion last year when the fees were estimated to be 10k and also had a good job offer so I understand its a tough one to make.

Now having spent 50% more than I thought I would I am still glad i made the decision to do it. Asia is booming and there are fantastic opportunites available here for people who would like to work in this part of the world. if the current eurozone crisis is resolved soon then Asia should continue to present these opportunities for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I just got called for an interview for next year. Could anybody who has been on the programe give an insight into it? My main concern is getting a job afterwards, what are the chances of being hired after? Would the job most likely be in Asia or back at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 h3o

Hey Snotboogie - congrats on getting called for interview. I am currently one of the 'fellows' on this program, almost complete! Even though there's been up's and down's all year long, overall learned alot, it opens your eyes to ALOT of opportunities and creates access to a network of professionals across an array of industries. The Irish community here have been amazingly welcoming, insightful and helpful. Out of all of us on the program this year, I think pretty much 99.9% of us will be working and remain in Asia from Jan 2012 onwards - some with the original sponsor companies and others finding their own pathway in which you have plenty of time and networks to do so. Its ultimately upto each person to find their niche but the framework and the constant work and effort that the Farmleigh Board have created is second to none. Hope this info helps, hollor if you have any other questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Is anybody going for interviews this week? I am and I am very nervous about this presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Hey thanks H3o, really appreciate your insight. Did you find the interview process tough?

Interview process was ok, they asked alot of questions about what I had done to date, why I would like to do this programme and what I would like to do afterwards, it was quite general thinking back really I guess, but still quite thorough in the questions they were asking. We also had to do some aptitude testing and then interviews with our potential sponsor companies. The waiting was the worst part at the end of the process to see if we were successful or not.

Hey La_Gordy,
    I'm one the people on the programme this year also - don't be too nervous, I'm sure you will do a great job! All of us here are looking forward to meeting the new Farmleigh Fellows here next year as it looks like pretty much all of us will still be either in Singapore or working somewhere around Asia - best of luck with the interviews!!!!

Hey h3o! Thanks for replying to me. The interview wasn't as stressful as I built it up to be. While I can't be sure if I was what the interviewers for looking for, they never made me feel interrogated or on the spot. Really glad to hear that it went well for you and that you like it enough to stay on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sandyk

Hello All,

I was interviewed (1st round) for the MBS scholorship last week. It went well and I felt they were happy in overall. I am in fulltime employment with a decent salary. I am excited by the entire MBS program and its structure. I am interested in the dual mode i.e. study and work practice concept but my only worry is that I will be off from a regular income for nearly a year assuming I get selected for the program and employment after I finish it.

I thought it will be a good idea to discuss here on pros and cons of it which will make it easy for me and others who are on the same boat to decide quickly as we will have very less time to take a decision of either in or out?

I appreciate if the seniors (MBS 2010-2011) can put their thoughts on factors such as MBS course quality, prospects, post course employment opportunities, other guidance etc. so that we will be comfortable in taking a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 J.jat

I too attended the interview. went off well! they said they will come back in 3-4 weeks with list of finalised participants to go for interview rounds with sponsoring companies. hope they get back as soon as possible - the wait is killing!

Would appreciate if anyone who gets a call for next round of interviews lets us know so everyone else knows they have started calling....

cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Ziggy*Dust

Just wondering if anyone has heard back since the first round interview stage? It could be a long wait! Also it would be great to get some more feedback from the 2011-12 fellows on how the year has been so far, and job prospects...thanks h3o for doing so already.

Not as yet :( The waiting game continues! If I remember correctly we were told there were 79 candidates interviewed so I guess that's a lot of people to analyse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Threads on Farmleigh Fellowship merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 J.jat

hi,

just to let everyone know Farmleigh guys have started sending emails (invite or rejects) about the next round to all 1st round interview participants. just got an email about this.

Best of luck to all those who get called for next round!!

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ziggy*Dust

Got that email yesterday as well. Any confirmation on how many places there are on this year's fellowship? I wonder how long we'll have to wait to hear from the companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TheDiscoSpider

I think there are 30 places this year and there were 100 or so at interviews in Cork. No idea how many are through to final round company interviews. Based on last year I hear 30-50%.

Has anyone been contacted by a company yet? I got an e-mail on Thursday to say I would be contacted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bogue87

I think there are 30 places this year and there were 100 or so at interviews in Cork. No idea how many are through to final round company interviews. Based on last year I hear 30-50%.

Has anyone been contacted by a company yet? I got an e-mail on Thursday to say I would be contacted soon.

As far as I know there were 79 interviewed for the 1st round with 20 confirmed places, and they were hoping to confirm 2 more places. From the website I gather that each company will be sent at least 3 candidates details for each position.
    I don't think there will be too many candidates rejected after the Cork interviews for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TheDiscoSpider

bogue87 wrote: »
    As far as I know there were 79 interviewed for the 1st round with 20 confirmed places, and they were hoping to confirm 2 more places. From the website I gather that each company will be sent at least 3 candidates details for each position.
    I don't think there will be too many candidates rejected after the Cork interviews for some reason.

You mean that most of the 79 who were in Cork were accepted?

My own feeling was something similar judging by numbers. Anyway, this is all hear'say and guesswork.

I'm happy to post or PM details of any interviews I get and will give updates regarding contact I receive too. Would appreciate if anyone else could do the same.

Everyone get that e-mail sent by accident this afternoon regars personality testing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Andrea53

Yes I also recieved those emails today. I had hoped that they would have lowered the number of applicants after Cork? Does anybody know why there are fewer jobs this year? Bad sign?
    The only thing that has kept me interested is the fact that I met a former Singapore ex pat last weekend who told me to jump at any opportunity to work out there. The thing is that China and India dont hold much of an interest for me and the jobs in the South Pacific mentioned at the UCC interview would be a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bogue87

I think there are a similar number of positions to last year although there are less companies involved. I would pretty much jump at the opportunity to go anywhere, the more variety throughout the year the better. The financial commitment would be my only concern. Considering the caliber of candidates I met in Cork I'm not overly optimistic on getting a place either. Not really expecting to hear anything 'til next week but will put a post up if I'm contacted.

Advertisement