Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Lenses and amatuer Gig photography

• 27-10-2010 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've got an opportunity to start photographing some gigs around Dublin and I've a few questions because I'm only starting really.

First, I'll post some photos of a gig I've already done.

5104549407_cc34deb473.jpg
    5105144564_ae215b67b6.jpg
    5105148584_fdb7bb83d2.jpg

As you can see they are a bit dark. I was using around a 2500 iso and about 30/sec shutterspeed and an fstop of 3 or so.. This creates too much noise and motion blur.

I need a new lens I think but I'm not sure which one to go for. I'm thinking of an old f1.8 lens from like the 80's but I'm wondering will that possibly autofocus on my D90? I know there's a motor in my camera but are the old lenses compatible with the motor on the d90?

Hope that makes sense and I'd appreciate any advice that you could give.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yep get a nikon 50mm f/1.8D for about 100 quid and it will auto on your d90*

*confirm this with interwebz, but I'm 99% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Get as close to the action as possible, I did one the other night in a small venue and had to get up on the stage to get a good shot of the bass player and drummer,high iso or if permitted use flash ..enjoy and post some of your pics up here for c&c!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Not allowed flash for the first 3 songs and in some venues you get turfed out after that. So flash is pretty much a no go.

Am seriously looking into a f1.8 lens. Money though... :P

Good news that it should auto focus with the d90. I'll look into that more but that's good news :) Thanks guys.
    enjoy and post some of your pics up here for c&c!!

Will do! When I get more gigs anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Pic #3 is always a mistake by most up n coming gig photographers...the mic blocking off much of the face.

Pic #3 is always a mistake by most up n coming gig photographers...the mic blocking off much of the face.

Yeah, I know but I kinda wanted "Acadamy" behind him. It's was kinda for a banner of a website really. Didn't take many from that angle but you comment is appreciated. It's nice to know people are actually having a wee look :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

All you have to do is use your feet to get a diff angle and get the name in!
    I've photographed in The Academy 2 a fair few times a couple of years back and the lighting was so bad I had to use flash.

I've photographed in The Academy 2 a fair few times a couple of years back and the lighting was so bad I had to use flash.

Is it easier to shoot in other venues? I haven't done much and I'm kinda wondering if I'd get away with doing some shots in other venues with the same set up.

Is Academy 2 particularly dark like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I really like the middle one. I wouldn't call them too dark... but I'm not sure if I'd want to see them more contrasty, or less contrasty.

Who is he?

Lead singer of One Night Only. They had a single a few years ago that was pretty catchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

To be honest, if you were in another venue you would have gotten much better.
    The Academy 2 is a hole - no decent lights either. You did quite well.

Get up to Vicar Street or Tripod or the Olympia to really try it out. Or even Whelans - but that'd be not much better. I'm quite impressed with the pics given the location and the fact that the room is so small, cramped and full of pillars blocking the view.

Are you shooting in Raw? You should if not. It's slower, but christonabike it'll help you no end. I was at a gig myself (results on my blog) and I saved a good three pictures through editing it in raw. You can underexpose about 2 stops and get away with good images when adjusted.

But deffo agree with the 50mm 1.8 suggestion. It's the cheapest option to get pro-like results.

• Advertisement

Lads, will this lens autofocus on the d90?

http://www.adverts.ie/311792/lenses/nikon-nikkor-ai-s-mk3-50mm-18-lens-90-mint-condition/

I tried googling but there are so many lenses it's getting very confusing.
    Are you shooting in Raw?

I am, yeah. I did a bit of tweaking in lightroom with those. Pretty sure they were a good bit darker before I went near them.

Cool, I'll try and get a gig elsewhere and see how it goes. Thanks btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

im...LOST wrote: »
    Cool, I'll try and get a gig elsewhere and see how it goes. Thanks btw!

Are you doing this off your own back or getting photo passes?

If off your own back then venues like the Olympia will be really strict so I'd avoid the stress there. Academy is always more relaxed.

I'm due a photo pass for Vicar Street next month & in all my years of gigging I've never been there so looking forward to taking pics of a band I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

No, that lens wont AF on your D90.

I will probably be in the city centre tonight if you want to try out my 50mm.
    Super little lens for the price, you should really consider getting your hands on one. Mine goes everwhere with me!

Advertisement