Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog grooming career

Options
  • 27-10-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hi

need help...

studying advance animal health care..done grooming as a part of the course last yr.
    this year its all veterinary but iv decided i wanna be a groomer.

i can wash, cut nails, clean ears and do basic shaving and can dry. i dont know every style for every breed.

do i just keep practicing and learn that way or is there any courses i can do.

i dont wanna be paying hundereds or thousands to do it

any advice ???

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You can find courses online (I wouldn't do an 'online course' though, how could you possibly learn grooming that way?) from about €2,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

what part of the country are you, my sister did one in st johns college cork.. she opened her own pet shop/grooming parlour but has since gave up that job, very little if any money to be made from it now days, she was very very busy up until the recession but i guess more and more people are doing it themselves now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 babydollbabe

i live in dublin. i wouldn do an online course because your not getting the experience.

i would prob do it from home to start off with so theres not much risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cazzywazzy

Hi babydollbabe

I too am looking to train as a dog groomer. Just wondering did you find any good courses reasonably priced?? All the ones iv seen cost thousands which i cant afford.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

ya can do home study courses which are well priced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

I am working as a dog groomer for 6.5 yrs now.

I did my course in St Johns central college in Cork.

It's a two year course.

First year you have to do veterinary and dog grooming.

Second year you have the option of doing a full year of just dog grooming. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

My cousin did the grooming course in St. Johns in Cork when she was in her early 20's. She now has her own salon in Kilkenny and has been doing brilliant for years.
    I did the veterinary assistant course in Killester in Dublin last year where we also did grooming but if you want to be a groomer, its best to get an internship and do full time work experience and be trained in.
    Its also a one on one teaching session which apparently is way better than being taught by one teacher with a whole class.
    My cousin and my teacher (both groomers) both advised me NOT to do a course due to no one on one training but said that an internship is way better.
    Otherwise, you'll have to pay the thousands of euros for private teaching.

Good luck.

Advertisement