Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst games for multiplayer behaviour

Options
  • 27-10-2010 4:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

A lot will say MW2 because of campers and boosters...in my opinion camping is a valid if boring and cowardly gaming strategy and boosters are just cheats who have no sense of achievement

Many will say FIFA for people who quit too soon or people who go into a lead and kill the game by passing it around the back, let the quitters quit and as for the boring types who sit on 1-0, change your strategy and press them

for me though the most annoying multiplayer behaviour at the moment is in F1 2010, I love the game, don't get me wrong but it's incredibly frustrated getting rammed off the track, losing 10-15 seconds, working hard to get it back, overtaking the rammer and then as you overtake him or on the next corner, you are rammed again...the game kind of rewards ramming as a strategy, and that's something I guess I'll have to learn if I want to prosper

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Is there not damage in the game for cars that ram? If not then that's pretty lame. You can't get away with doing that sort of thing in Forza, or if you're a wuss like some of my mates, you play with collision turned off which is just lame.

Spawn Camping is the worst and console games like the MW series are the biggest offenders. We've had random spawn points in FPS games for over 10 years and then these lazy programmers (and that's the only reason for it, it adds nothing but frustration to the game play) don't bother because either they've run out of time, or it becomes too difficult for console players to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Surely HAlo is the worst? Abusive, racist, and homophobic teenagers screaming into their mikes non stop. Makes it impossible to fully enjoy all the multiplayer has to offer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Surely HAlo is the worst? Abusive, racist, and homophobic teenagers screaming into their mikes non stop. Makes it impossible to fully enjoy all the multiplayer has to offer.

That and getting teabagged. The joke was old back when Halo 2 went online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Never encountered this in Halo Reach, starting to believe it's a cyber myth.

For me it's without a doubt Modern Warfare.

Halo 3 was / is particularly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I remember the original Gears of War being pretty bad for foul people on their headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dolphin jumping in BF2 and other similar games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The mw2 community is without a doubt the worst ive ever come across on both platforms ive played it on, pc and 360.
    alterIWnet have done a great job with creating a decent mw2 community on pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's none of that in Reach now thankfully. Seems all the screaming dickhole kiddies moved onto MW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Counterstrike... public servers... christ almighty..

Also..

Left4dead.. some poor fella gets left behind, aaand some smoker grabs him halfway back through the map.. I'll hack my way through the hordes and go try and save him, I love doing that, its great fun.. and if I do manage to get to him and help him up.. he's just frozen.. absolutely utter disbelief at the event that has just transpired.. years of being called a noob and teabagged and cursed at and abused and kicked... and this person.. this angel.. saving him.. then he shoots me in the face and squeals to some admin that I attacked him and there I am again, kicked and banned. Aahhh.. online gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Have to second that reach is fantastic for matchmaking. Theres a range of search settings that weeds out all the pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

rizzla wrote: »
    Never encountered this in Halo Reach, starting to believe it's a cyber myth.

For me it's without a doubt Modern Warfare.

Halo 2 was unbelievably bad for it, kids saying all sorts of things in the lobbies. It got a lot better in Halo 3 and I haven't played Reach but I'm glad to hear that its not a problem any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Dcully wrote: »
    The mw2 community is without a doubt the worst ive ever come across on both platforms ive played it on, pc and 360.

I've played MW2 religiously for last year and it's by far the worst. It's mostly young teens 10-15 year olds with their high pitched voices giving it loads but you do get the odd adult in there callng everyone all the names possible.

Before this was GOW1. The booting option was great. Needs to be in more multiplayer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

GTA4 anybody? that was rife with trash talk and stoped playing it online after a week. MW2 is fairly bad alright. I haaate the little sh1tes who play dance/pop music into their headset, I know you can mute but mygod its annoying. In fact all the squeeky voiced little kids who feel the need to narrate everything they see on the screen :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Dam right, that and bunny hoppers with C4 on friendly fire off maps.

2142 and nade spamming in the titan corridors 1 and 3 used really get my goat. Put 3 guys halfways down the corridor, 2 support with an ammo hub and basically spam throwing grenades, the 2 hubs resupplied nades quicker than they'd be used. If they were any good and timed it right it was impossible to get past. It was the only let down in the best multiplayer mode in any fps game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dcully wrote: »

Agreed-This is what MW2 should have been from the start.Playing it religiously most evenings now-well at least until Cod:Bo comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Super Street Fighter IV has a pretty good online community, but because of the nature of the game, rage-quitters (and there are lots) end the game for you, which is very annoying. It makes playing Ranked mode a crap-shoot, so Endless Lobbies are the only way to go!

Halo: Reach has a great online community imo, I've logged many hours into it and have only come across 1 asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

The whole thing about Halo having the worst online community has slowly died off over recent years. Halo 2 was notorious for it (Spent a whole summer playing it) and the game was rife with level boosters, modders at the higher levels of matchmaking, and kids screaming racist abuse down their mics. But Halo 2 was the flagship multiplayer game for the Xbox console at the time and with the release of the Xbox 360, many new multiplayer games came to the fore, like Gears of War and Call of Duty, which I think effectively split the asshole community up and spread them out over different games.

But MW2 definitely takes the cake when it comes to the worst multiplayer behaviour. Snipers running around quickscoping, 10th prestige glitching lobbies/modding in general, Commando knifing, and the amount of (literally) 12 year olds on this game is just the tip of the iceberg. People abusing unbalanced weapons and perks just adds to the frustration. I should know, I've wasted nearly a month of my life playing it and makes me wonder why I didn't stay on CoD4, before the series became a victim of its own success. No bull**** killstreaks, overpowered weapons or modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

none of ye must have played HoN - mw2 is a tea party in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think MW2 has an unfair rep. It's one of the best selling games of all time on all formats, the internet is full of idiots and a lot of them play fps games. By the law of averages you are going to get thrash talking, hatemail and ppl using what are considered cheap tactics. I honestly don't find MW2 bad and have played it a lot.

*plants claymore and goes to camp in corner*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hercule wrote: »
    none of ye must have played HoN - mw2 is a tea party in comparison

Played HON its pretty bad but imo mw2 takes the biscuit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But MW2 definitely takes the cake when it comes to the worst multiplayer behaviour. Snipers running around quickscoping, 10th prestige glitching lobbies/modding in general, Commando knifing, and the amount of (literally) 12 year olds on this game is just the tip of the iceberg. People abusing unbalanced weapons and perks just adds to the frustration. I should know, I've wasted nearly a month of my life playing it and makes me wonder why I didn't stay on CoD4, before the series became a victim of its own success. No bull**** killstreaks, overpowered weapons or modding.

A lot of that is the game designers fault for not balancing the game and supporting it yet have no qualms about offering their rape time transactions for 4 maps, stuff that used to come free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

From what Ive heard and read, MW2.

I love FPS but one of the reasons I never got MW2 is because of the players who play it. Im not even sure Id classify MW2 as a FPS, its more like 'who can troll who the most'. If I was going to get MW2, it would only be for trolling. I like Brandon Dicamillo's idea
    (Possibly NSFW, swearing)

Eve online would be a big one and in an interesting way. Eve is not populated by teens in fact I came across very few players under 18. But the community is based on trolling and ganking. The corporation forum reads like 4chan.

World of Warcraft wasn't too bad as I was on an RP server. But ive been told that the other types of servers had plenty of kids running around.

The fact is every online game will have "misbehavior", its unavoidable regardless of age. Ive committed trolling myself plenty of times but only those who need it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Dolphin diving was patched out iirc?
    Dam right, that and bunny hoppers with C4 on friendly fire off maps.

Just don't go on servers that have friendly fire off. Problem solved.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think MW2 has an unfair rep. It's one of the best selling games of all time on all formats, the internet is full of idiots and a lot of them play fps games. By the law of averages you are going to get thrash talking, hatemail and ppl using what are considered cheap tactics. I honestly don't find MW2 bad and have played it a lot.

*plants claymore and goes to camp in corner*

It is one of the best selling games of all time on all formats, and that brings me back to what I said in my previous post. The game is a victim of its own success. The internet is full of idiots and because this game's so popular it's gonna attract the most. MW2 can be grand sometimes when you find a few decent people but it's getting to the stage where they start to be few and far between. From playing Halo Reach a fair bit since it came out last month, I'd say I've received only 5% of the trash talking and hatemail I've received compared to a similar timeline of playing MW2.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A lot of that is the game designers fault for not balancing the game and supporting it yet have no qualms about offering their rape time transactions for 4 maps, stuff that used to come free.

I would have been inclined to say in the past that the whole Infinity Ward / Activision royalty debacle would have been to blame for the lack of support as regards balancing, since they patched stuff like the 1887s and the Javelin glitch early on in the game's run, but it's just plain laziness and not giving a toss about what balance is there, or lack thereof, or if things should be fixed. If they had the time to push out 2 map packs, surely they'd have the time to tinker around with the game's weapon values to do something like give the ACR ANY recoil or tone down the damage of the UMP silenced/over range by at least half.

Don't really wanna derail the thread by turning it into a MW2 bashing session but I've learned my lesson as regards Activision. They're a parasite on the gaming industry and I've made it my mission not to buy any of their games in the future. This includes the highly anticipated Black Ops. I just wish I could have realized it two 1200 point map packs sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

I see no problem with people playing within the rules all weapons and perks are there for all to use so it is an even playingfield. Campers can camp too, I have no issue.

But modders should really GTFO. But thankfully I see them rarely (And I have over 10 days game time on multiplayer)

R.F. wrote: »
    I see no problem with people playing within the rules all weapons and perks are there for all to use so it is an even playingfield. Campers can camp too, I have no issue.

Unfortunately some things in this game that are within the rules are game breaking. I think the infamous One Man Army exploit is a prime example of this. Fire off your two noobtubes with Danger Close, replenish your supply in 5 seconds and keep going. They said they'd fix this exploit and they never bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Super Street Fighter IV has a pretty good online community, but because of the nature of the game, rage-quitters (and there are lots) end the game for you, which is very annoying. It makes playing Ranked mode a crap-shoot, so Endless Lobbies are the only way to go!

I've played hundreds and hundreds of online ranked matches, and barely get any ragequitters... used to be a lot more prevalent in SF4 iirc, but rarely happens to me now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Heroes of Newerth by literally miles

Ive seen things....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I'd diffo say mw2 or CS.... some serious amount of internet trash talk floating around those communities. I would diffo suggest that anyone playing mw2 or any game really, to join a clan or something, I play mw2 quite alot (Not so much lately... getting boring) and most of the time i'll be in a full party of clan mates, nothing serious or anything just a bunch of Irish guys, really stops all the whining/music and random **** that you hear alot of the time when playing on your own. Get a good laugh out of the kids on the other team pre-game tho :D

Advertisement