Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6850/70 V 4870?

Options
  • 27-10-2010 4:54pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads im probably going to buy this tv as my main gaming display, i can use with pc,360 and sky box beside my pc.
    http://www.directtvs.co.uk/LG_32LE5900_32_Inch_Freeview_HD_LED_TV__32LE5900/version.asp?refsource=dtawin

While my gfx card is doing fine with the latest games im reading some good stuff about the new ati 6850 and 6870 and the prices seem impressive.
    However im not seeing any reviews where i can get a fair comparison between them and my current 4870 HD 1 gig.
    Seriously all these different models make my head spin, God bless the times i was up to speed on pc hardware :P
    Can anyone in the know advise on how my 4870 compares and would it be worth adding in the extra cash to get a new card with that tv?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi lads im probably going to buy this tv as my main gaming display, i can use with pc,360 and sky box beside my pc.
    http://www.directtvs.co.uk/LG_32LE5900_32_Inch_Freeview_HD_LED_TV__32LE5900/version.asp?refsource=dtawin

While my gfx card is doing fine with the latest games im reading some good stuff about the new ati 6850 and 6870 and the prices seem impressive.
    However im not seeing any reviews where i can get a fair comparison between them and my current 4870 HD 1 gig.
    Seriously all these different models make my head spin, God bless the times i was up to speed on pc hardware :P
    Can anyone in the know advise on how my 4870 compares and would it be worth adding in the extra cash to get a new card with that tv?

The benchmarks for a 1GB 5770 would be close enough as makes no difference for comparison purposes (The 4870 would be a small % faster).

For example: (4870/90s against 5XXX cards in Crysis)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5770,2446-7.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

A HD4870 1GB can still hold its own in most games at 1080p, but if you like playing with lots of AA/AF, like your Crysis/Metro 2033/other GPU-killer or have the 512MB version it might be worth the upgrade to a HD68*0 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The 4870 is a bit better than the 5770, but not as good as the 5830. The 6850 is better than the 5830. It's not a huge difference, but you might notice a difference at that resolution if you're at the edge of choppiness. Maybe some improvements in heat and noise. I wouldn't be pushed to upgrade quickly from that if you're happy, unless a good deal came along or you have somewhere for the 4870 to go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cheers lads, fyi i have the 1 gig version.
    As i say im happy with all the latest games @ 1980*1080, i was just thinking if there was a decent performance boost for i may have purchased.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

No point then ATM :) Wait until the next generation gets cheap ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement