Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long can you keep a skip outside your house?

Options
  • 27-10-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Our neighbour decided last year that they are no longer paying for bin collection.

Instead they hire a skip and stockpile all their domestic rubbish for a few months at a time on the road outside their house before getting it collected.

As you can imagine the smell is unbearable after a week or so. I have contacted the litter warden and they advised that it is a management company issue. The management company previously warned them continuously to remove skip but they ignored them. When I contact the management company now they no longer care.

Is the anything I can do in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

How much rubbish do they accumulate that it is more cost effective for them to hire a skip then pay for a refuse collection...? I would have thought it would be more expensive to hire the skip for a few months than just pay the bin collection rates?

Edit: sorry I just realised this doesnt answer your question :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Looks like you have done all you can do,maybe contact a TD ?This could become a fire hazard some young fellas bored some night could set it alight:rolleyes:

Edit why is a management company issue if its on the road outside their house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Council. Skip being used for domestic refuse is health hazard.

Alternatively, start putting your own stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it is in a gated development, things are harder to deal with. On a public road, the council would only allow someone have a skip in place for a few days. All waste operators need licences and a further licence is needed for the skip to be on a public road.

I'd have another word with the litter warden, emphasising it is ongoing. If the warden can't deal with it, ask him who in the waste department can. The council has an obligation to have waste removed (they need not do it themselves, but it has to be done).

Failing that, try environmental health (there may be a council / HSE overlap).

Try raising it with the skip company.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You'd think this would be a fire hazard with Halloween coming up and all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

man the lengths some people go to, I'm amazed it simply isn't filled with other people junk within the first week...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

man the lengths some people go to, I'm amazed it simply isn't filled with other people junk within the first week...

That's exactly what you and the neighbours need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 triskellion

If it's on the street, then most likely it's in the common areas of development. Your title deeds will map what's what but this would be normal. This is definitely a matter for the management company. If there's an accident or injury as a result the company is liable - duty of care etc.
    You're a shareholder in this company remember, and if you've no management agents, talk to the chairman / board and the company can tell the neighbours to move it to their own driveway or else it will be pulled away for obstructing a common area / access. The bill might then be forwarded to the skip users.
    Rinse & repeat 'til they get the message

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Surely just from a general health point of view this is very, very dodgy.

I know that people can contact the environmental health officer if they've problems with neighbours not keeping their back garden free of rubbish. I'm sure that this would be deemed a similar situation.

Advertisement