Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle For Movember

• 27-10-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I mentioned Movember in here around this time last year to see if anyone was doing it. I won’t go in to the details of it again other than it is a month long moustache growing worldwide event aimed at raising funds for Action Prostate Cancer, an initiative of the Irish Cancer Society and raising awareness in regards mens health, something men are notoriously bad at talking about. For more info see www.movember.com

Anyway I’ve been involved for the last three years and have tried and thankfully succeeded to put together some good fundraising events each year. This time though I wanted to do things a little different that everyone, whether they grow a Mo or not, can participate in. In light of the huge increase of cyclists thanks to the cycle to work scheme I opted for “Cycle For Movember”. Now, something that started off quite small between 15 to 20 of my friends has grown in to about 50 to 60 confirmations and over 200 signed up for updates.

So why am I here? I’ve been involved in similarly styled cycles in the past but have never really been in charge of organising one. Thankfully with the help of a few friends and the guys from Movember Ireland I am happy with where I stand but still am little nervous as to not having a huge amount of experienced cyclists on board. I was hoping that if I posted in here you guys could give me some sound advise, especially if you have been involved in organising something like this before already, and maybe even join us on the day.

The cycle is going to be pretty short, just over 50k, and quite flat. It’s scheduled for the 27th of November (My biggest worry being the weather – keep the fingers crossed) and details of which can be found on www.facebook.com/CycleForMovember .

I’d appreciate any input people here might have!

Cheers,

Peter

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Sounds like a good plan, in a good cause, but would we need to grow handlebar mustaches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gavgladiator

Hi Peter

Great idea, am already signed up for Movember but the cycle idea is an added bonus. I can't access facebook from work - are you able to give me an idea of the route you're planning ?

Regards, Gav

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got the fresh shave this morning and am looking forward to the fortnight of knacker tache glory, before my inner Magnum PI comes to the fore as we all know he will.

pic_selleck.jpg
    CramCycle +14 days

Any info on how to sign up, where the start point is, etc. Not on facebook so not sure if there is more info there that I am missing and I can't find you guys on the movember page.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

rp wrote: »
    would we need to grow handlebar mustaches?

I'll get your images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEfAW1FsXd_5jm2nHgc8O8yCK0LzWoLWvJ7hhDMgOp4CE2HLI&t=1&h=206&w=135&usg=__byjEvUKquSALX3ZWddGuLAfh1RE=:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I've 'liked' it on facebook, going to have a shave later and see what style tache to go for.

I'm thinking a trucker.... or maybe a boxcar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

lemmy

Got a start on it already...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies! I'm ironing out the route at the moment. I had it all sorted when it was just 20 - 30 of us going but now with 60 confirmed and nearly 300 on the facebook page looking for updates I've had to think a lot harder about it. As there will be a lot of varation in the skill/fitness levels of the cyclists joining us I wanted to keep the cycle as flat as possible. I'm looking at starting the cycle in the city centre (depending on numbers and garda approval) then out to Maynooth where we will stop for food and a rest ,then back to finish up in Phoenix Park.

Any thoughts on the above? Its been a while since I cycled out that direction so any advise will be taken on board!

Coming up this Saturday - so who's heading out?

I definitely am, looking forward to it

Any word on the route yet?

• Advertisement

The only thing is that it's clashing with the protest in town.

With all that's been going on the last week, I might find it hard not to get out and protest

joker77 wrote: »
    The only thing is that it's clashing with the protest in town.

With all that's been going on the last week, I might find it hard not to get out and protest

We could go flat out and make it back for the protest and join in on our bikes.

What are we protesting about this week? :D

Turns out I won't be able to go on this cycle. Have been coming down with something the last couple of days, seems to have gotten a hold so I won't be out on the bike this weekend. Was looking forward to it :(

Enjoy it for all those who do make it along

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Can anyone show up to this? What time is roll out? Is there an entry fee? Is there cake?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Can anyone show up to this? What time is roll out? Is there an entry fee? Is there cake?

Roll out is half ten but I can find no mention of a fee or cake

Advertisement