Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xenon jtag

Options
  • 27-10-2010 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Having some issues jtagging a Xenon have dumped the full 16mb of the nand and flashed XBR all the jtag wiring is in place and I get RROD with error code 0020 any ideas people? I have checked the board for shorts and insulated the exposed diode stems and wiring, bad wiring/diodes to blame?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Does it happen all the time, or some of the time? If some of the time, it might be one of those odd Xenon consoles that don't work with diodes so you might need a 330Ohm resistor instead.

Have you reflashed the original dump to see if it works? If it does you know it's the JTAG wiring, if it doesn't then something went wrong big time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Any time it's booted after about 2-3 seconds straight into RROD, the owner had xclamps removed I doubt CPU/GPU is to blame as it was working beforehand

CB version is 1903 read/write with the LPT went perfect no errors, or bad blocks

Can you get into Xell? I wouldn't think you can to be honest, but maybe.

I'll try Xell tomorrow does the jtag wiring need to be intact for Xell to run?

• Advertisement

Yes, it does :) Which is why if Xell and XBR/Freeboot aren't working there's an issue with your JTAG wiring. If Xell/XBR and the MS Dash aren't working there's a real problem :P

I am hoping it's the your first assumption : ) I'll write the original NAND back and hope for the best

Oh I know the feeling, have had a few of those moments myself. The fear that when you restore it won't boot up isn't a nice feeling at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Hope stock dash works for ya, know the feeling! Good chance it's the real deal since it's a Xenon, although that might just be my luck, happened to me before.. Xell apparently doesn't have a P.O.S.T which decides whether to give a red ring although I've gotten it before booting Xell.

I have a similar problem, but E71 on a xenon. I've used it for hours, now this outta no where. Turn it on, flashes boot-anim for 2-3 seconds + ROL, then E71. Was getting random E79's days before, so went back over wiring and double checked everything.. Now this.

Also have a Falcon with a corrupt Nand that booted Xell, I updated through onboard USB to Xellous and that corrupted the Nand (don't know how! woulda thought only the wrong Xell version would do it). Nothing I've tried works, have a FB image to flash with CPU key etc, just can't get anything written to the nand. Very irritating..

Sounds like you have bad luck Wez this is the first Xenon that's giving me problems I am writing the stock NAND on now fingers crossed it boots into nxe

• Advertisement

Original dump flashed to NAND no power at all now :(

Are you supposed to leave it for a few mins after flash to clear the memory?

Yup, pull the power and let the SMC clear. If it's still not booting, remove JTAG wiring. Correct JTAG wiring shouldn't affect it, but incorrect JTAG wiring might.

Heres were I'm at with the xenon, original NAND is flashed back on all jtag wiring has been removed but no power or leds flashing

Have also been working on a zephyr motherboard read/write went fine, wiring is set boots to Xell when eject is pressed but on regular boot soon after the greens light I get an e79 error message, I am using the Reverse Jtag Wiring on the bottom of the board with 1n4148 diodes and one 100ohm resistor between the jump points(used to be straight jumper wire), any ideas or suggestions?

For the Xenon it's a very odd problem. Have you tried fully erasing the nand with nandpro? Are you sure the power supply is still green when you press the RF board power on? Can you test with another RF board?

Why are you using the reverse JTAG method on the zephyr? The only method that I use, and is strongly recommended is the transistor method. It fixes funky things like E79, mad ROL colours etc etc.

For the Xenon it's a very odd problem. Have you tried fully erasing the nand with nandpro? Are you sure the power supply is still green when you press the RF board power on? Can you test with another RF board?

How would I go about erasing the nand completely? The power brick is solid orange even when the RF is powered on, I'll swap out the RF module and test
    Why are you using the reverse JTAG method on the zephyr? The only method that I use, and is strongly recommended is the transistor method. It fixes funky things like E79, mad ROL colours etc etc.

Is this the method you use?

http://www.boxxdr.com/boxxdrjtag.html

To erase the nand completely it's nandpro <lpt/usb>: -e16 0 - this will erase 16MB from block 0.

The transistor methoed with voltage conversion is located here

Cheers have you got an example of the wiring, could you take a pic of one of your motherboards just so I can get an idea of what goes where

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

justryan wrote: »
    Cheers have you got an example of the wiring, could you take a pic of one of your motherboards just so I can get an idea of what goes where

Links for the transistor method along with links to all other methods are in the tutorial that TV posted some time ago on the Xtravision Jasper thread.

It is great tutorial, I use it all the time, all the troubleshooting is there. I would strongly suggest to anyone who is doing jtag on their xbox to make familiar with it, read it few times. Even if you're not going to use the method in the tut, it is great source of all info. I don't flash through linux myself but through Xellous, but I always have the guide handy when jtagging.

Here is a link.

Happy modding everyone!

justryan wrote: »

I'll see what I can manage this evening when I do another. witnessmenow posted a picture of a Falcon with the wiring (exactly the same) on the Random Modding Pictures thread.

Cheers tv and docentore parts are on order from radionics I'll have a crack at that wiring as suggested when they arrive

• Advertisement

On the xenon jtag, erased and flashed back the original dump still RROD, but removed the shody xclamp fix and replaced the parts with my own, console now boots into NXE happy days :)

So what are you waiting for, get back to work *cracks whip* And don't show your face again till you're on freeboot :p

I just followed your guide word for word, this old xenon now boots freeBOOT with the lastest dashboard 9199 :D

Wahey, the first not-TouchingVirus success story with my guide. Welcome to JTAG :P

Getting this error with Bestpig I am working on a Xenon with 1903 CB, dumped the first 2mb flashed Xellous dumped the remaining NAND got CPU key and wrote the first 2mb back on and Bestpig throws up this error when I try to compile freeboot anyone have any ideas?

error1.jpg

error2.jpg

Firstly, the first 50 blocks of the nand you dumped contains Xellous, and not the Microsoft data. You need to use nandpro2.0b to write the first 2MB you backed up into the bin file you dumped over Xellous.

Other than that, the error from Bestpig's tool is self explanatory, you've got the wrong CPU key and it can't decrypt your keyvault.

This is why you need to test your nand dumps with 360 Flash tool - you'd know if you had the right key if you checked it with 360 flash tool and saw it decrypt your keyvault ;)

360Flash decrypts the keyvault just fine but reports some bad blocks

360flash.jpg

Don't worry about the bad blocks, they're not even relocated and they're outside the first 50 blocks so when you flash from Xellous if they're still bad they'll get moved automatically.

I'm concerned about the fact 360 Flash Tool reports the nand dump you opened as being "XBR/freeBOOT Xenon (v1.0)". If you're opening up a 100% original dump with all Microsoft code all it will say is "Xenon (v1.0)". So you're trying to generate freeboot with the wrong dump :confused:

I tried dumping the nand a second time flashed the first 2mb and now 360 flash reports it as Retail Xenon 1.0 any ideas? I am hesistant to flash on Xbr or anything onto this if it can't even compile freeboot

• Advertisement

Should I just flash it back to stock nand and leave it?

Advertisement